20 years since I cruised. My two boys first experience

Mowiteem

Our honeymoon was on the Celebrity Meridian in July1993. We were so young and we didn't have money for excursions or any extras. We both had one drink the whole cruise so we didn't overspend...lol. We did have a great time just walking around the ship and Bermuda being newlywed. I have planned a different vacation this time and I am sooooo excited for my family. We are going back to Bermuda on Grandeur of the Seas with our 7 year old and 14 year old. We still have an interior room but I doubt we will be there much. I have a plan for each day we

are in port. One of the days we will be going on the Reef Explorer for some glass bottom boating and swimming with turtles. I have a couples massage planned as a surprise for my husband. I also purchased the premium alcohol package for us and the soda package for the boys. I can't wait. This is going to be our best vacation yet! So, what has changed so since we last cruised?

Vicki....

Proud to be a Jersey Girl

The ships are bigger and fancier.

There is more interest by the cruise line in making money. So some things were included, but now there is a charge.

There are now specialty restaurants that come with a charge. Anywhere from about $20 to $75. Meals in the MDR are still included, so you don't have to go to the pay venues.

One change you'll notice is now you can pick "My Time Dining" rather than "Tradition Dining" if you wish. The food and dress code are exactly the same for both.

Have a wonder cruise to Bermuda! :)

LuLu

~~~~

Vicki,

Hope you made out OK with Sandy! We used to have a house in Shelter Cove in Toms River on a canal, one back from Barnegat Bay, and we looked at Seaside. Pictures I have of the boardwalk & piers and Manaloking are unbelieveable. Hope you made out OK!

We moved to the NC coast waterfront and now still have hurricanes!

Our 1st cruise was in 1984 and there have been a lot of changes. Now on most cruise lines a LOT of people don't dress up for formal night. However Celebrity does follow a more serious dress code on formal nights. (A friend was turned away from the dining room because he wasn't wearing a jacket, his 1st cruise. He went and put one on.) Carnival calls it 'cruise elegant night' and there are very few Tuxes or suits. NCL is completely optional but they don't like shorts in the bigger dining room. Princess was some dressed some not but more dressed. Most ships now allow jeans and shorts in the MDR on other nights!

They never had 'Any time dining' (which we HATE!) and the doors to the dining room were closed 15 minutes after everyone was supposed to be there. Once we had table mates that came at 9:15 to our 8:15 dinner.

The crew are just as fabulous though. Tips are included in your final bill so you don't get envelops for last night cash tips. Every cabin has a flatscreen TV. There are usually robes and beach towels in each cabin for your use- but you will be charged if you take them home. You can also get them on the pool deck and when you're going ashore.

We like some of the changes but miss others and we are still cruise-a-holics!

Bonnie:

My town was hit pretty hard. As a member of EMS we dealt with some intense situations. We had a shelter for a hundred people just for our little town and housed the nat'l guard for over a week. I was very lucky not to have any damage but as I said, was out of power for two weeks. Thanks for the info.

Vicki....

Proud to be a Jersey Girl

The ships are bigger and fancier.

There is more interest by the cruise line in making money. So some things were included, but now there is a charge.

There are now specialty restaurants that come with a charge. Anywhere from about $20 to $75. Meals in the MDR are still included, so you don't have to go to the pay venues.

We usually go the whole cruise without a single on-ship extra charge, except for the soda package. We almost never opt for the upcharge specialty restaurants. We don't do spa treatments or any of that kind of stuff. And we don't buy alcohol on the ship (much to the cruiseline's chagrin, I'm sure, since that's where most of their profit comes from). And we rarely even buy the photos they keep pushing (that's why we bring our own cameras).

If one is careful to keep their Sea Pass card in their pocket and not order the extras, cruises can be quite a bargain.

What really adds up for us is the excursions. The destinations are the highlight of the cruise, so we don't scrimp on those. Although if one can find good dependable tours independent of the cruiseline, significant savings can be had on those too. But we often just opt for the ship excursions, just for the peace of mind (i.e. they handhold you the whole way).

We cruise enough that I work to maximize our on board credits. We sail Princess nearly all the time. so we get the Elite perks. Earlier this year we were on a 49 day cruise. At the end our onboard account for the two of us was just under $400.

Archived