Whatever happened to derek lewis?

...With Navigator coming full time to Galveston, I know he had an active fan base from that port!

Only if the English pub on the Navigator is non-smoking.

Edited by Jimnbigd

We chat online with Derek often. He's working for another cruise line currently and then will be coming back to RC later in the year.

Did Derek mention what RC ship he might coming back to?

Hello George!

I am on Rhapsody right now till November 10, and then tentativly scheduled for Celebrity Constellation in Ft Lauderdale for the winter beginning December 10 or something like that.

I would really be interested in Navigator out of Galveston BUT.........

They still allow smoking in their Pub!

I love cruising out of Galveston, but they couldn't pay me enough at ths point in my life to spend hours every night in a smoke pit.

If enough people make this an issue, it will change. Mariner finally banned smoking in their pub. Voyager did it years ago - so why not Navigator?

All the best to you and Robin

Derek

Hello George!

I am on Rhapsody right now till November 10, and then tentativly scheduled for Celebrity Constellation in Ft Lauderdale for the winter beginning December 10 or something like that.

I love cruising out of Galveston, but they couldn't pay me enough at ths point in my life to spend hours every night in a smoke pit.

If enough people make this an issue, it will change. Mariner finally banned smoking in their pub. Voyager did it years ago - so why not Navigator?

Derek

Thanks for posting Derek's response. It would be nice to have him back on a Voyager class ship, but I completely understand his point of view with regard to the pub smoking policy.

Hello George!

Derek

I have NOTHING but, respect for Derek....

Good for you Derek...

Stompy, please pass my message on to Derek.

Listened to him many nights, at the Pub on the Voyager..... :)

Dang, I wish they would move him from Constellation to Independence. Would love to have him on our March Indy cruise! Yep, I don't blame him about the smoking in pub issue. Just wondered what had happened - and yes his facebook page has been inactive for a long time.

Ok folks, do the math with me. I know he has been with RCCL since at least 2004 (The first time I saw him). Every night, night 2 and after he has a good following on board the ship, and has a continuously full lounge night after night until he stops, RCCL would be in the best interest to stop smoking in a lounge where he wants to play in to allow the sales of more drinks.

The purpose of a bar entertainer is to get folks into a bar and to sell drinks. He gets folks into a bar, and from what I have seen people enjoy drinking while watching him, and he creates a good length of stay... I think they should look at the venue on the NV and make it non smoking for him (And the rest of us non smokers :) ) just my thought.

• 1 month later...

So with the new non-smoking policy kicking in next January, maybe Derek will be back on the Galveston ship. Of course, naturally, the Navigator is in dry dock just as this new policy kicks in, delaying Derek for another month. Sigh.

Edited by Jimnbigd

So with the new non-smoking policy kicking in next January, maybe Derek will be back on the Galveston ship. Of course, naturally, the Navigator is in dry dock just as this new policy kicks in, delaying Derek for another month. Sigh.

I would think it is highly likely he will be back in Galveston in the near future. I guess it depends how far in advance they do their contracts.

Does anyone know where our favorite entertainer went? I know he got married awhile back - maybe he retired from ship life. With Navigator coming full time to Galveston, I know he had an active fan base from that port!

He and Patty had a lovely wedding

DSC00586.jpg

Hey Stompy...Next time you chat with Derek ask him something for me.

When he got engaged, did he buy his wife a ring "worth far more than one thousand dollars"? ;)

Ok, that really did make me LOL. :D

And say it with you. :D:D

• 1 year later...

Josie and I had the pleasure of attending Derek and Patty's wedding aboard Voyager in Feb. of '12, and enjoyed meeting you. We're also in touch via e-mail, and peek at his Facebook page occasionally.

We were aboard Navigator last March, and actually inquired as to whether the pub is a non-smoking venue ... the bartender advised me that it is. We passed by it on several evenings during the cruise (less than half-full each time ... and pretty dull in there) and didn't observe anyone smoking. I'm under the impression that the smoking policy is now fleet-wide, or will be shortly.

We'll be aboard again in December and January ... seems as if every time we pass a pub on any Royal Caribbean ship, it brings back a flood of good-time memories.

Liberty will be replacing Navigator in November of '15 ... more folks for Derek to entertain. Let's hope!! If he'll be aboard, I'll book it tomorrow.

Al

Edited by jewopaho