Riveria 10/25 to Istanbul- Ephesus Tour

keuka746

My wife and I were wondering if there were others on this cruise interested in booking a 6 hour "Best of Ephesus Tour". This is the #1 rated Ephesus tour in Trip Advisor and details can be seen online by visiting the tour companies website via Trip Advisor. The total price for 8 people would be 290 Euros or about $95 per couple. They pick us up at the ship and I believe we pay at that time (a requirement).

Let us know if your interested.

Bruce & Loretta Parker

Bradenton, Florida

Hi, Keuka746,

You'd probably get more replies if you post this on the roll call for your Oct. 25 cruise. Go to "Roll Calls," then "Riviera," and you'll find the thread. It's fairly active, and much of the discussion has been about private tours.

Good luck! I see this was your first post, welcome to Cruise Critic. And have a great cruise!

Just a tip. Unless you are interested I would specify in advance that you do not want to stop at a carpet factory on the way back. Many tour operators insist on doing this as they get a kickback if anyone buys.

Just a tip. Unless you are interested I would specify in advance that you do not want to stop at a carpet factory on the way back. Many tour operators insist on doing this as they get a kickback if anyone buys.

Oh, but the tea is so good. And I actually learned something about oriental rugs that was interesting.

Oh, but the tea is so good. And I actually learned something about oriental rugs that was interesting.

So is the Raki ... and we actually bought some carpets way back when. Of course, if you have enough Raki you'll buy just about anything ...

Mura

Have you thought about booking it just for yourselves? We are on Nautica from Istanbul 28th September and have booked this tour directly with "about Ephesus" -Private Tour for 6hours with driver for 160 USD for two of us. Highly rated on TripAdviser and Very efficient booking system and only 20USD prepayment required. Makes the Oceania Group Shore Excursion look ridiculously expensive!

My wife and I were wondering if there were others on this cruise interested in booking a 6 hour "Best of Ephesus Tour". This is the #1 rated Ephesus tour in Trip Advisor and details can be seen online by visiting the tour companies website via Trip Advisor. The total price for 8 people would be 290 Euros or about $95 per couple. They pick us up at the ship and I believe we pay at that time (a requirement).

Let us know if your interested.

Bruce & Loretta Parker

Bradenton, Florida

We'd be interested in joining you on the tour.

Lotsaports

Tucson , Az

Oh, I wasn't interested, either! I was and am not in the market to purchase, and I hate to shop. However, once there, I did learn quite a bit about the various types of rugs, what makes one more valuable than another, how they are made, etc. I became interested after I sat down to listen.

Besides, you don't have to use one on the floor. Some of them are small, really works of art, and would make lovely wall hangings.

When I pay for a private tour I want to go where I want to go, not where they want to take me, including and especially a trap where they try to sell you stuff. If I wanted to learn about rug making that's what i would have signed up for. jmo.

My wife and I took the aboutephesus tour earlier this month and greatly enjoyed it. Our tour guide, Selda, was well informed about the site, and started the visit at the top(!), answered our questions intelligently, and was willing to tailor the visit to modifications that we requested. Friends from Paris were also happy with her tour taken earlier in the month, which also included a decent lunch. $160 (plus tips) was a fair price for the individual attention we got.

We did make commercial stops at a carpet store and a pottery shop. There was no pressure to buy at either place and, frankly, the information and demonstrations we got from observing the processes of each craft were worth the time we spent.

Not to contest any of the prior statements, but we've taken three private tours to Ephesus -- the first in 2001, then one in 2011 and another last year. They were all with different guides and they all started at the top.

I agree it looks very crowded down at the bottom, but I don't think I ever saw tours starting from there. (Then again, I wasn't really looking.) But there is a big parking lot down there so it could be true that people who really need a parking place would have to start down there.

No, I wouldn't want to walk UP either! So if you have a guide who takes you to the bottom entrance, tell him to drive you up to the top!

Mura

Archived