Breakaway or Gem- Which would you choose?

I personally prefer a smaller ship. I've been on a number of the Jewel class ships and I find them to be just right for me and DH.

If you want to try something new and don't mind a big ship, then try the Breakaway. For me, being on a ship with 4000 people is just too much!

I have the option of cruising the Breakaway in October or the Gem in August (same itinerary). Which would you choose? Would love to hear thoughts (pros and cons) on both.

Thanks!

What cabin category are you looking at and what is the price difference?

I have the option of cruising the Breakaway in October or the Gem in August (same itinerary). Which would you choose? Would love to hear thoughts (pros and cons) on both.

Thanks!

Since the itinerary is not that exciting go for the exciting ship while kids are in school. Breakaway all the way. Now if you were taking about the Gem 9 day cruises another answer.

Breakaway is prob 1k more. If I went on the Breakaway, I would book a Haven room (based on the reviews I read, it seems like the best choice). On the Gem we would have two connecting mini-suites or balcony rooms. (I've been on the Jewel so I know what to expect). I have little ones, so this itinerary works well for us because we can do a fun activity in Florida and possibly go to the Atlantis when docked in Nassau (although I am not sure it is worth the cost).

I have been on the "Gem" in 2011 in a mini-suite~~loved the ship~~we also went to Florida and the Bahamas~~I am taking the "Breakaway" in October on her last trip to Bermuda on October 6th~~I have been to Bermuda three times so it is not so much Bermuda but want to experience the "Breakaway"~~I will be taking a studio cabin~~we will see if I like the "big" ship experience! Good luck with your decision!:)

We love the Gem and that is our first choice, but although we would rather be on a Jewel class ship, we do not regret taking the Breakaway. Being on a mega ship is def an experience. She is a very beautiful ship, with many new ideas. but the size of most venues (especially the pool )was too small for us. Hard decision to make.

Safe sailing

Thanks!

I'd do the Breakaway on October. It won't be nearly as crowded, and I think many of the current issues will be mostly non-existent because of that.

We have been on the Epic and the Gem this year! Both great experiences but totally different. Sounds like you know what to expect on the Gem....I assume based on what I have read the Epic and Breakaway are similar experiences. I felt the Epic was less freestyle with a little more planning involved (if you want to see all the high end entertainment, which we did and enjoyed) and while we enjoyed that entertainment we missed the staff performances and the intimacy the small ships afford you to interact with the cruise staff. I don't think you can go wrong either way you will be CRUISING :p:p

Thanks! It's such a tough choice. I am hoping the Breakaway is less crowded in Oct. however I am concerned about docking at the private island. With a potential of 4k plus people, how are they going to tender everyone? There can't possibly be enough clamshells and loungers on the island. I would love to try a new ship, just worried about all of the crowds. Would hate to be more stressed than relaxed on a cruise! On another note, the BINGO jackpots must be insane on the Breakaway!

I was also wondering about tendering that many people on GSC...will be interested to see the reviews on that when they start doing the Florida/Bahamas itinerary...I will be sailing it in December!

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Since the itinerary is not that exciting go for the exciting ship while kids are in school. Breakaway all the way. Now if you were taking about the Gem 9 day cruises another answer.

I agree with this post that the Breakaway might be more exciting for this less exciting itinerary. As a word of caution if you plan to visit a theme park in Orlando: be prepared for a VERY long and exhausting day. We did this with young children several years ago on Spirit, and don't think that I will ever even repeat the itinerary. The bus ride to theme parks is over an hour in each direction (sometimes 2), and you really have no control over when you return to the ship. I LOVE Disney, but much prefer to do it as a stand-alone vacation. A friend of mine just sailed Gem with this itinerary with young children, and she took my advice to enjoy the ship that day instead.

I've heard staff lamenting the tendering process for the very large ships because of how much time it takes, BUT since you are planning to travel in a Haven suite on Breakaway, you will have priority tendering, so it shouldn't be an issue. Also, if you are first off the boat, you shouldn't have trouble accessing island amenities, either.

On a side note, I also agree that the Gem 9-nights are out of this world We did it in January with our three children 5 and under, and we all had an amazing vacation.

Love the 9 day Gem cruise, thats in Jan. but first we have the 7 day...

In Florida we take the shuttle right off the ship to The Cove (small shopping area-little arts and crafts type area) then on to Cocao beach--Ron Jons, Shark Tank ( has small sharks in it) and the beach. Shopping and food all around. Fun inexpensive day

Safe sailing

Love the 9 day Gem cruise, thats in Jan. but first we have the 7 day...

Same choice for me this year. Love the Jewel Class ships but looked at the Breakaway and Gem for our trip this year.

Ended up with a 9 day Gem just based on price. I'll spend the extra and not be on the bleeding edge of first year operations next year on the Breakaway. Also had done a CTN on the Gem before so know the ship.

That's how we choose.

FWIW

Could you do a suite on Gem, rather than two cabins (a suite w/ the glorious suite privileges)? That would be my choice - I sailed Breakaway Inaugural, and didn't "love" it - enjoyed it, but I had liked the Dawn out of Tampa so much, that I changed our summer and fall cruises to Gem (hoping that it will be more like Dawn in terms of service, size, # of pax etc). I can't even begin to imagine the tendering to GSC from Breakaway...

Breakaway is prob 1k more. If I went on the Breakaway, I would book a Haven room (based on the reviews I read, it seems like the best choice). On the Gem we would have two connecting mini-suites or balcony rooms. (I've been on the Jewel so I know what to expect). I have little ones, so this itinerary works well for us because we can do a fun activity in Florida and possibly go to the Atlantis when docked in Nassau (although I am not sure it is worth the cost).

Sounds like price is not an issue for you. If price were not an issue for me, I would choose Breakaway because it is on my bucket list to try. I will be doing my second sailing on Jewel in October and while I like the Jewel I do like trying different things. Breakaway sparked our interest when we were on the Epic. Unfortunately the price of Breakaway sent us to Jewel for anniversary cruise. I will be getting another FCC while on Jewel in hopes of someday using it on Breakaway.

Archived