Nautica 15 May 2013 Problems

ebim

Thank goodness and thank you 'queen adelaide' for confirming my tale of woe.

I wrote to my TA on 23 june and, even though he has chased Oceania, we have had no response to my letter. T?hats 48 days and not even an acknowledgement! Please do keep me informed if your 'terriering' produces results.

one thing that struck us odd; how could we ever have been docking in monte carlo as Wind Star was in the berth???

Evelyn

p.s. if you need an assistant to do checking just point me in the right direction ! I am well up for it.

Hi Evelyn,

Yes you will be stonewalled. I started at the top - these are my contacts (and contact details are VERY hard to get). I am reasonably articlute and argued my case with a lot of detail.

Mr Kunal S. Kamlani, President

Oceania Cruises

8300 NW 33rd Street, Suite 100,

Miami, Florida 33122

Diana Flynn

Kunal’s PA

DFlynn@prestigecruiseholdings.com

Gair O’Neill

Senior Director of Guest relaions

GONeill@prestigecruiseholdings.com

Susan Robison

Vice President, Corporate Communications

Prestige Cruise Holdings, Inc.

8300 NW 33rd Street | Suite 100 | Miami, FL 33122

Office: +1 305 514 3912 | Fax: +1 305 514 3990

Oceania Cruises | Regent Seven Seas Cruises

SRobison@PrestigeCruiseHoldings.com

Ms Lisa Cocozzelli

Guest relations Administrator

Oceania Cruises

8300 NW 33rd Street, Suite 100,

Miami, Florida 33122

I have good reason to believe that we could have berthed in Monaco and the private charter the next day (client profile/revenue ?) prompted the relocation to Genoa (may have been a dmaged lifeboat).

If that were true (and I may be able to prove that soon) every one of the 370 people may be entitled to refund of their last 2 days (lost) by the company and that's almost half a million dollars. No wonder they were in denial. My husnad tells me to watch out for two guys in black trenchcoats knocking at the front door :-)

After all of my attempts expired, I got a pithy response from Lisa (in Customer (non)Services) and I contacted my travel agent in Adelaide, Australia, to let her know what happened (she was morified - she put her reputation on the line to recommend Oceania) and she escalated my information to her Oceania 'rep' in Australia. The reply she got - exact quote - "Our guest relations department in Miami have written to your client and the President of Oceania Cruises has also spoken to her on the phone. The matter is now closed."

Sounds like you are on a crusade! :p

How was the early part of the cruise?

Seriously, it does sound like you all had a disturbing experience, but i will ask you one thing...and you may choose not to reply.

Did the cruise line violate anything in the Passenger Contract, that you agreed to, once ticketed?

I seem to recall most all cruise lines have the discretion to do whatever they deem necessary for the safety of the ship, etc. written into their cruise T&C's.

Hi Evelyn

I don't think we are orphans as I see other people having big customer service issues with Oceania (Prestige Cruise Holdings) but I am surprised at how few people (of 370 on Nautica in Monaco in May 2013!) have become angry and vocal about what happened there.

I have started a thread on 'roll call' (but I am very new to this) to try to find others who were injured by this action. I have many theories and I think the more information we can get, over the largest number of people, the easier it will be to expose deceit (and I have a number of theories about events and motives). In the end they are service providers, they took our money and they stuffed up (big time) - they owe us.

Where are you located? I am in Adelaide, Australia.

Sally :-)

I posted a review on this site as well as on a UK site and I have been searching for any other reviews about this particular cruise. http://www.cruisereport.com/crReview.aspx?id=2627

I'll post all the contact details I have (they are not easy to find!) for Prestige Cruise Holdings tomorrow.

hi sally

we are in brighton, sussex, england where today its sunny.

will check out the cruise report later.

also will chase my ta tomoz, 50 days is just too long to wait for a response. as we say ' they are having a laugh' ! sorry about typing only got the use on one arm at the moment, so no capital letters.

keep up the good work.

evelyn

This sounds like a very bad day for all involved. It has been said Oceania gave 50$ for miss exp. What more are you looking for them to do?

We lost $1oo + on an internet package that was closed down prior to our return to the ship. We arrived at the tender station at 15.30 and finally arrived back on the ship at 23.30.

We were scheduled to spend the penultimate night, 29th may, in monte carlo.

this was cancelled. however on our arrival into monte carlo there was a ship berthed in the dock, where we should have been. why were we cancelled.

$50 dollars for a missed night in monte carlo, 5 hours standing around at the port, not knowing the why, the how long, nearly 3 hours coach trip with my ears popping - do you know that road, its all tunnels. dinner at 23.30 at night.

having then to pack at midnight, information about our departure, delivered to our cabin at 01.00. falling into bed at 01.30. the tannoy system in room waking us at 06.30 informing us of the errors in the info given out at 01.00, and now we had to get off the ship by 07.15, 45 minutes later. Absolute chaos and confusion by the buses. nobody knew which bus was going where. 3 hour trip back through the tunnels finally arriving at nice airport to witness an argument between the coach driver and a young lady rep because the coach driver didnt want to take the remaining passengers (us) on board his bus to the other terminal.

oceania failed to take care of us, not only that they made the situation even worse by either lack of or bad information. perhaps you would like to put a price on all that stress, distress, confusion and misery.

evelyn

Sounds like you are on a crusade! :p

How was the early part of the cruise?

Seriously, it does sound like you all had a disturbing experience, but i will ask you one thing...and you may choose not to reply.

Did the cruise line violate anything in the Passenger Contract, that you agreed to, once ticketed?

I seem to recall most all cruise lines have the discretion to do whatever they deem necessary for the safety of the ship, etc. written into their cruise T&C's.

i am sure the cancellation of the nights stay in monte carlo would be covered in the passenger contracts.

my point is that the actions taken by oceania with regards to the care and general welfare of their passengers was dreadful. the last tender left villefranche at 15.00. At that point oceania staff knew that a large number of passengers were stranded. lack of information, incorrect information, general inconvenience and stress. no i am sure these are not covered in the contract. we are talking about human beings here and how the cruise line deals with a bad situation. oceania didnt do well. for example ; sitting on the floor of the cruise terminal because oceania hadnt organised any support in monte carlo port. buses to a hotel or restaurant is one suggestion that would have made life more comfortable.

oceania is competing at the top end of the cruise market. the way the situation with nearly 400 passengers in their care was handled showed no thought, care or compassion. one lady had been to the hospital and was in an awful state. it was a bad time. one that passenger contracts shouldnt come into the equation.

evelyn

The reply she got - exact quote - "Our guest relations department in Miami have written to your client and the President of Oceania Cruises has also spoken to her on the phone. The matter is now closed."

Did the President actually call you? What was his explanation of the situation?

i am sure the cancellation of the nights stay in monte carlo would be covered in the passenger contracts.

my point is that the actions taken by oceania with regards to the care and general welfare of their passengers was dreadful. the last tender left villefranche at 15.00. At that point oceania staff knew that a large number of passengers were stranded. lack of information, incorrect information, general inconvenience and stress. no i am sure these are not covered in the contract. we are talking about human beings here and how the cruise line deals with a bad situation. oceania didnt do well. for example ; sitting on the floor of the cruise terminal because oceania hadnt organised any support in monte carlo port. buses to a hotel or restaurant is one suggestion that would have made life more comfortable.

oceania is competing at the top end of the cruise market. the way the situation with nearly 400 passengers in their care was handled showed no thought, care or compassion. one lady had been to the hospital and was in an awful state. it was a bad time. one that passenger contracts shouldnt come into the equation.

evelyn

I agree that this was a very unfortunate experience. But in a situation like this where they did not know this was going to happen..how can they arrange for busses for 400 people let alone transferring these to a restaurant or hotel who most certainly could NOT have handled the influx of so many people not expected? I think O did what was humanly possible in arranging what they did in the amount of time they did it. Yes they could have communicated with those affected, never has been their strong point.

Perhaps they should have rented all those yachts in the harbor for you all to enjoy:D.

I rarely put my 2 cents in this kind of situation but IMHO you are completely out of line..every well traveled cruiser knows stuff can happen while you are cruising and life is not perfect..it is time to let go of your anger and forget it..you will get no satisfaction from the cruise line (it should be obvious by now) and posting everyones email is something a spiteful child would do..I never use such strong language but it happened in May this is August get on with your life and dont book Oceania again if you were so dissatisfied, like an adult would do..

Jancruz1

Although Jancruz said it, it's what I was thinking too. Move on. Take the positive memories from the trip and focus on them, take the negative memories and move them on and out. If it were bad enough, then don't sail that line again.

Ports get skipped, communications get dropped, buses don't arrive... things happen. O did not set out to give you a bad experience.

Things can go wrong in independent travel, tour travel, cruise travel, at any price point. Best to have a sense of humor, a positive outlook, and a Plan B (or C or D, or whatever is called for).

Sometimes bad things happen, sometimes they can't be helped, and this making someone have to pay every time the sun doesn't shine philosophy feels like a path to unhappiness to me.

I'm sure there were many good things from your journey, and these could most likely overshadow the negative if given a chance. All the best to you.

I rarely put my 2 cents in this kind of situation but IMHO you are completely out of line..every well traveled cruiser knows stuff can happen while you are cruising and life is not perfect..it is time to let go of your anger and forget it..you will get no satisfaction from the cruise line (it should be obvious by now) and posting everyones email is something a spiteful child would do..I never use such strong language but it happened in May this is August get on with your life and dont book Oceania again if you were so dissatisfied, like an adult would do..

Jancruz1

Spiteful child :-( ouch!

Yes you are right it was May 29 and its August 12 today and I got my 'not our problem' letter from Oceania last week. Yes I was disappointed. I went to these boards to see if anyone else had got a better/different response and saw Evelyn had never received a response so I told her what I knew. I also saw that she was still dealing through her TA and not getting any joy so I told her I would post the contacts I had found. They are in plain sight - its just takes time to find them.

The Presidents name and address is on the feedback card you receive at the end of your cruise and the email addresses are on the Oceania website - I don't think I am doing a 'cruiseleaks' here. Just trying to help Evelyn who is currently frustrated and working with one hand.

You may be a 'well travelled' cruiser and losing two days at the cost of a suite may be a shrug of the shoulders to you. This was our very first cruise, the cost, the destinations, the whole thing was a big deal to us - the dinner and overnight in Monaco was the highlight of our ten days (it was also our honeymoon). Whilst I may not be a "seasoned' cruiser - and after this I don't think I ever will be - I do have a great deal of experience in in CRM (customer relationship management) in airlines and high end hotels and if you are going to be a high end service provider you have to master CRM to maintain a good reputation and a strong customer base.

There is evidence to suggest deceit on the part of the cruise line about the reasons for the diversion. I am sure it was tough call for the Captain but operational issues would be foremost in his mind and they had a new commitment the following day and he had to choose which group got burnt.

I was persistent in my enquiries and waited patiently until I received a formal response from Prestige Cruise Holdings - all the while giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I am an analyst - so gathering, assembling and documenting information is my career. I am not being spiteful I am genuinely trying to be helpful. Were you on this cruise? You have obviously done may cruises, is such behaviour common/normal? Is the smart thing thing to just 'let it go' or should I make an effort to make others aware of the practices of this cruise line or, as you say, just never book them again and let others find out for themselves? I value your experience and advice.

This sounds pretty dreadful - and very atypical for Oceania. Anyone who was a "newbie" to Oceania on this cruise is not likely to sail with them again.

Looks like you are an old hand at this Paul. Yes it was awful - people were herded like cattle and there was only the floor to sit on and there were people with walking aids and disabilities. Time doing nothing but waiting or being on a bus was 8 hours. I am also savvy enough to know this must have been a really terrible time for Oceania - particularly her captain who had to make some tough calls.

The bottom line is (for me) the way the event was handled and how simple it would have been for Oceania to have put an immediate salve upon it.

Everyone has to swipe on and off so they had a full and accurate list of all those effected. An immediate letter (even done overnight whilst having their 3 or 4 hours sleep before being put on another bus) saying how sorry Oceania was that our trip ended so badly; acknowledge that we lost 20% of our financial investment and we were also short changed in other ways. People like to be heard and feel valued.

I was not expecting the company to part with actual money but a voucher for an on-board credit or room upgrade on your next cruise and an invitation to return would have made very good business sense if they ever wanted to see any of these people again.

They had their chance, they didn't do it, so as I said in my full review of the cruise - its how well a company handles the problems that is their true measure and I would never trust them with my money or my wellbeing again.

Spiteful child :-( ouch!

Yes you are right it was May 29 and its August 12 today and I got my 'not our problem' letter from Oceania last week. Yes I was disappointed. I went to these boards to see if anyone else had got a better/different response and saw Evelyn had never received a response so I told her what I knew. I also saw that she was still dealing through her TA and not getting any joy so I told her I would post the contacts I had found. They are in plain sight - its just takes time to find them.

The Presidents name and address is on the feedback card you receive at the end of your cruise and the email addresses are on the Oceania website - I don't think I am doing a 'cruiseleaks' here. Just trying to help Evelyn who is currently frustrated and working with one hand.

You may be a 'well travelled' cruiser and losing two days at the cost of a suite may be a shrug of the shoulders to you. This was our very first cruise, the cost, the destinations, the whole thing was a big deal to us - the dinner and overnight in Monaco was the highlight of our ten days (it was also our honeymoon). Whilst I may not be a "seasoned' cruiser - and after this I don't think I ever will be - I do have a great deal of experience in in CRM (customer relationship management) in airlines and high end hotels and if you are going to be a high end service provider you have to master CRM to maintain a good reputation and a strong customer base.

There is evidence to suggest deceit on the part of the cruise line about the reasons for the diversion. I am sure it was tough call for the Captain but operational issues would be foremost in his mind and they had a new commitment the following day and he had to choose which group got burnt.

I was persistent in my enquiries and waited patiently until I received a formal response from Prestige Cruise Holdings - all the while giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I am an analyst - so gathering, assembling and documenting information is my career. I am not being spiteful I am genuinely trying to be helpful. Were you on this cruise? You have obviously done may cruises, is such behaviour common/normal? Is the smart thing thing to just 'let it go' or should I make an effort to make others aware of the practices of this cruise line or, as you say, just never book them again and let others find out for themselves? I value your experience and advice.

Im sorry this happened on your first cruise and on top of that your honeymoon..unfortunately things like this do happen from time to time..on a bus tour you could get a flat tire, not have a spare and have to wait hours in a hot bus..on a river cruise the water can be to low (not enough rain) where you have to stay in the same port overnight..,we were on a river cruise where a boat was stuck under a bridge for 3 days in Budapest and we missed 3 other ports because we could not pass the barge that was stuck..an exact itinerary for a cruise would be nice but a lot of the time it does not happen and a cruiser (traveler) has to learn to accept that as part of the travel experience..Im sure everyone on this board could give you an example on every cruise line where things like this happen..

We always want to know what is going on BUT that does not usually happen..the cruise line does the best they can under the circumstance and communication usually does not get to the passengers unless there are dire circumstances..

Please think about the parts of the cruise you enjoyed and discount as part of the experience the last 2 days..

Jancruz1

Im sorry this happened on your first cruise and on top of that your honeymoon..unfortunately things like this do happen from time to time..on a bus tour you could get a flat tire, not have a spare and have to wait hours in a hot bus..on a river cruise the water can be to low (not enough rain) where you have to stay in the same port overnight..,we were on a river cruise where a boat was stuck under a bridge for 3 days in Budapest and we missed 3 other ports because we could not pass the barge that was stuck..an exact itinerary for a cruise would be nice but a lot of the time it does not happen and a cruiser (traveler) has to learn to accept that as part of the travel experience..Im sure everyone on this board could give you an example on every cruise line where things like this happen..

We always want to know what is going on BUT that does not usually happen..the cruise line does the best they can under the circumstance and communication usually does not get to the passengers unless there are dire circumstances..

Please think about the parts of the cruise you enjoyed and discount as part of the experience the last 2 days..

Jancruz1

Thanks Jancruz ... three days stuck under a bridge!! That sort of puts things in perspective (although you had your bed, your meals, your passport etc). My darling husband (we all say that in the first year of marriage :-)) is a real 'half-full' kinda guy. Even when we were tired, hungry, frustrated and sitting on the floor of the terminal he said "Well at least we were not on the Concordia!" Bless him.

We loved our cabin and our on-board experience. We paid for those last two days (in advance, including gratuities) for services we never received - that is bottomline, without the emotional stuff. I just feel cheated - particularly knowing Oceania did it to meet their own operational requirements.

I don't think it has coloured my view of the really amazing 3 weeks we had away (Rome before the cruise and Paris after) but it has certainly cemented a view of Oceania's modus operandi. All travel arrangements (from Australia) were made around the core component - that cruise.

May you always have happy and safe travels!

The point that was made by the cruisers who experienced this unfortunate circumstance is being lost.

The true indicator of customer service is what the company does when something goes wrong (as things inevitably do).

Yes, things go wrong. I travel a lot for business and pleasure, and yes, things have happened. The way the company responds is the indicator. I believe that is the concern of the OP.

For just one simple example: missed flights due to weather are common. I never fly any more the airline that stranded me in Chicago because they did nothing to get me home, nor did the SEVEN different employees I spoke (politely) to. The airline I fly now has me rebooked automatically when the flight is delayed.

I'm an Oceania fan, but if they had done this to me I'd complain on CC loud and long. And I'd hope for honest answers. But as a businessman (recently retired) I fully understand that when you can't give an honest answer without it causing major financial problems for your company the only option you have is to say nothing. From what I've read here (and I accept it may be partial) that's what our well loved cruise line has chosen to do. Sad, but that's life. So let's all move on.

The point that was made by the cruisers who experienced this unfortunate circumstance is being lost.

The true indicator of customer service is what the company does when something goes wrong (as things inevitably do).

Yes, things go wrong. I travel a lot for business and pleasure, and yes, things have happened. The way the company responds is the indicator. I believe that is the concern of the OP.

For just one simple example: missed flights due to weather are common. I never fly any more the airline that stranded me in Chicago because they did nothing to get me home, nor did the SEVEN different employees I spoke (politely) to. The airline I fly now has me rebooked automatically when the flight is delayed.

Hi Azevedan - I share your view about customer service being the bottom line in any "service" industry. Do you have any favourite cruise lines or any experience where you have had a great customer service experience with a cruise line? I am going to start a new thread asking for positive customer service experiences - often they don't get the air time they should and I am genuinely looking for a cruise provider that I can trust.

I once challenged a TA friend to justify value of prices charged by high end cruise lines vs the mainline and premium companies. His reply surprised me. He said that if problems develop you can expect much more proactive support, individually and as a group with the premium folks. Not to take sides or stir this debate too much, just maybe this is an example of getting what we pay for on Oceania.

Ralph

I once challenged a TA friend to justify value of prices charged by high end cruise lines vs the mainline and premium companies. His reply surprised me. He said that if problems develop you can expect much more proactive support, individually and as a group with the premium folks. Not to take sides or stir this debate too much, just maybe this is an example of getting what we pay for on Oceania.

Ralph

Or perhaps, not getting what we pay for on PCH Cruise Lines!!

Ralph

Hi Ralph

This comment is really interesting to me as I was encouraged (as a first timer) to pay more and go with Oceania because it was a 'premium' provider. Is that incorrect? If they are not 'premium' (I felt like I paid premium - but again I have little to compare it to) then who would be considered a 'premium' provider and what is a 'premium' price per day on average? Other friends who cruise regularly (on the larger ships) said they could not afford to go on Oceania.

Thank you for educating future travelers on this experience.

I too am following this because we have our second cruise booked with Oceania, coming up very soon. Our first cruise was an excellent experience in every way. I understand that cruises and travels come with some risk, some that are unexpected. However, I would expect to be treated with utmost respect. Communication during a situation might not be easy to distribute, but I do not understand the lack of communication long after the event.

If the cruise line was neglect in any manner, and expects litigation, then I can understand the "no comment". That itself seems to suggest something is awry. Even airlines have better compensation than what you seemed to receive for a loss of 2 days.

I would truly expect more from Oceania. Glad my travel insurance is through an independent insurer.

Vote with your pocketbooks. That's what I do.

There are a lot of cruise options out there.

Your "solution" is not to sail with Oceania again.

Posting on this thread will get you nowhere, which I am sure you have learned by now.

I would never book a Cruise, Hotel, Airline with the idea of who would give me the most back if something really bad happened to me.

It is NOT about who would give you the most back!!! It is about getting what you paid for and if you don't get what you paid for, being made whole!!!

We don't want something for nothing, we want what we paid for and if there are issues, the company needs to own up to it and be honest in their dealings with those who have been wronged.

I followed this thread from another of Queen Adelaide's posts. Could someone lay out a timeline as to what happened. Similar to

29-May - 0800 - Ship arrives in MC

29-May - 0800 - Tenders to shore begins

29-May - 1730 - Return tenders to port are cancelled

29-May - 1800 - Passengers are sent to terminal X

29-May - 1830 - Ship departs MC waters bound for Genoa

29-May - 1900 - Passengers are loaded on charter buses bound for Genoa

30-May - 0100 - Stranded passengers arrive at port in Genoa

30-May - 0800 - Ship arrives in Genoa

30-May - 0830 - "Stranded" passengers allowed back on ship

The story seems vague. QA keeps mentioning missing two days. Based on what I am reading the ship was in MC and passengers got off in MC and explored the city, while in port the ship encountered weather problems. Captain decided to move ship to Genoa for the last evening. You were separated from the ship for less than 8 hours, while disappointing I am not sure I understand what you would like in the form of compensation.

Archived