Villefranche Tender

pb3053

Hello,

We shall be sailing on Celebrity in September and we would like to go to Villefranche. This is a tender port and I wonder if anyone can advise me if there are steps from the tender onto the quayside to negotiate please, probably depending on the tide ?.

My wife is disabled and cannot climb stairs, she would manage 2 or 3 steps if they are not too high.

I went there last year and can't recall if there were steps after getting off the tender but do recollect that it was quite a steep walk up to the town from where we caught the service bus to Nice. Villefranche is very hilly so you should bear this in mind and maybe a ship's tour may be best in your circumstances,

I went there last year and can't recall if there were steps after getting off the tender but do recollect that it was quite a steep walk up to the town from where we caught the service bus to Nice. Villefranche is very hilly so you should bear this in mind and maybe a ship's tour may be best in your circumstances,

It may be hilly upto the town but you can have a lovely walk along the seafront that's totally flat, there are some little shops and cafes there as well.

I don't recall any steps, there were several people on our tender with mobility scooters and walking sticks and they managed fine. :)

We were at Villefranche in May, and there were more steps down from the Equinox to board the tender than there were stepping from the tender to the tender dock.

And I agree with DebbieMacG. There were some nice cafes, shops and a little artisan's craft area under tents right by the tender dock.

Thanks everyone for the responses. From what the majority suggest we have decided to go for it and do the Celebrity Scenic French Riviera coach tour.

My wife had a partially severed spinal cord at 60 and had to learn to walk again. Unfortunately this left her with poor balance and so she was worried about the movement of the tender in relation to the ship. I have found 2 examples of passengers boarding a tender on U Tube and it seems relatively easy. Obviously it depends on the sea swell at the time, if its too rough then the Captain will suspend tendering anyway, but as she is reassured that there are no steps to negotiate, she has decided to do it !.

That's great Paul. I found Celebrity staff very tuned in to considering people with disability. I loved Villefranche so much so I might decide for us just to remain in the harbour....

Hi Helen,

We considered the advice that its a bit hilly and decided to do the coach tour. And following the idea from Debbie on the Roll Call site about a 3 legged walking stick seat ( which we took delivery of yesterday :) ) I think we are all set.

Thanks everyone for the responses. From what the majority suggest we have decided to go for it and do the Celebrity Scenic French Riviera coach tour. My wife had a partially severed spinal cord at 60 and had to learn to walk again. Unfortunately this left her with poor balance and so she was worried about the movement of the tender in relation to the ship. I have found 2 examples of passengers boarding a tender on U Tube and it seems relatively easy. Obviously it depends on the sea swell at the time, if its too rough then the Captain will suspend tendering anyway, but as she is reassured that there are no steps to negotiate, she has decided to do it !.

Glad to hear that you are going for "IT!". There are a few steps getting down from the ship to the tender ship. Also agree that the staff is very happy and patience in helping those needing such aid. Villefranche is definitely worth it. Below you will see a few visual previews for this scenic port in a wonderfully great setting. Also from my full live/blog, you can see lots more on Barcelona, other Italy ports, etc.

Part of the town does go up a step hill that involves some steps. Maybe worth it. Maybe not.

Villefranche sur Mer is set in one of the world's most beautiful bays. The original Old Town is at the base of a natural amphitheater of mountains and terraced hills. The views are wonderful and it is easy to see why so many people fall in love with Villefranche. The bay itself is very deep and many of the Mediterranean's largest cruise ships stop in the bay. Nearby are Mount Boron, which looks down over the bay from the west; Nice to the west and St. Jean Cap Ferrat, Beaulieu sur Mer, Eze Village and Eze Bord de Mer to the east.

Yes, a ship tour can be worth doing. Any added questions or reactions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 136,820 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The charm, style and beauty of Villefranche are clear in this picture of its harbor area greeting visitors as we arrived via tender from the ship in southern France near Monaco.:

VillefranchePortMountains.jpg

We went through the old areas of Villefranche, seeing the narrow steps where pirates and soldiers would have battled/traveled, flowers, etc.:

VillefrancheFlowersNarrowSteps.jpg

This is the Baroque, Italian-style tower of Villefranche’s Saint Michael Church. It is in the heart of the old town and originally dates from the first part of the 14th Century.:

VilleFraChurchTower.jpg

Villefranche’s walled fortress or Saint Elme citadel is the “real thing”. It makes the point of how this town’s history was based on its 1500’s coastal/security setting, etc.:

VillefrancheFortressWalls.jpg

Hidden among the narrow passages of Villefranche’s Old Town was this artist whose shop produced various etching designs.:

VilleFrShopArtist.jpg

Our Celebrity Solstice is shown positioned in the Villefranche harbor with this beautiful setting surrounding the ship.:

VillefrancheSolsticeInHarbor.jpg

Hi Terry,

Nice collection of photo memories, I liked the photo of the Solstice in the harbour. I hope the sea is as calm as that when we are there in September :).

The stairs up and down to the tender from the ship are concerning us but we will enquire once on board if there is a crew lift down to the tender level. I e-mailed Celebrity and enquired about this aspect but the reply was none committal and didnt describe or even mention the aspect of having to use stairs to board the tender. I have had a far more helpful description from this board on what to expect.

Hi Terry, Nice collection of photo memories, I liked the photo of the Solstice in the harbour. I hope the sea is as calm as that when we are there in September :). The stairs up and down to the tender from the ship are concerning us but we will enquire once on board if there is a crew lift down to the tender level. I e-mailed Celebrity and enquired about this aspect but the reply was none committal and didnt describe or even mention the aspect of having to use stairs to board the tender. I have had a far more helpful description from this board on what to expect.

Appreciate your follow-up and nice comments. Good luck on having the calm seas we enjoyed. Below is one of my pictures that a I enlarged to better show the distance and steps down for the tending ship. Agree strongly to ask the staff on the ship. My feeling (and hope) is that they do their best to be helpful and make things happen. Go for "IT!" is still my encouragement.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 136,820 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

VillefrancheTenderingClose007_zps7b1f7c62.jpg

Hi Terry,

Nice collection of photo memories, I liked the photo of the Solstice in the harbour. I hope the sea is as calm as that when we are there in September :).

The stairs up and down to the tender from the ship are concerning us but we will enquire once on board if there is a crew lift down to the tender level. I e-mailed Celebrity and enquired about this aspect but the reply was none committal and didnt describe or even mention the aspect of having to use stairs to board the tender. I have had a far more helpful description from this board on what to expect.

As well as the steps down to the tender I seem to remember it's quite a walk to the coach pick up point from the place where the tender drops you off. Basically, the old town walls mean that coaches can't get right to the quayside.

As well as the steps down to the tender I seem to remember it's quite a walk to the coach pick up point from the place where the tender drops you off. Basically, the old town walls mean that coaches can't get right to the quayside.

Size and distance? Depends on what you compare it with. There is a small "station" or building there in Villefranche port and some walking from where you get off of the tender boat through that structure to where you would board a bus. It is certainly not as large and massive as a rail station in Paris, London or Rome. My rough guess is that you might walk 125-175'.

We stayed in Villefranche for 2 weeks in May - if you stay on the lower level you won't have any problems. If you want to go anywhere else, you will have to climb some stairs.

The large tour buses cannot get down to the lower level. I am not sure how far you would have to walk to get a bus, but it is all uphill. There are taxis at the port and you could take a cab to where the buses are. Celebrity should be able to tell you where the tour buses are.

Villefranche is a beautiful seaside village - the people are very friendly and the surrounding area is also beautiful.

Have you considered a private tour? The vans/cabs can meet you right at the dock and the driver/guide could take you to places where you wouldn't have to climb.

Dave

We stayed in Villefranche for 2 weeks in May - if you stay on the lower level you won't have any problems. If you want to go anywhere else, you will have to climb some stairs.

The large tour buses cannot get down to the lower level. I am not sure how far you would have to walk to get a bus, but it is all uphill. There are taxis at the port and you could take a cab to where the buses are. Celebrity should be able to tell you where the tour buses are.

Villefranche is a beautiful seaside village - the people are very friendly and the surrounding area is also beautiful.

Have you considered a private tour? The vans/cabs can meet you right at the dock and the driver/guide could take you to places where you wouldn't have to climb.

Dave

Thanks for that Steve and Dave. We didnt realise that there may be a bit of a walk AND perhaps steps to contend with to get to the tour coach :eek:. Might have to give a taxi tour some thought.

Glad to hear that you are going for "IT!". There are a few steps getting down from the ship to the tender ship. Also agree that the staff is very happy and patience in helping those needing such aid. Villefranche is definitely worth it. Below you will see a few visual previews for this scenic port in a wonderfully great setting. Also from my full live/blog, you can see lots more on Barcelona, other Italy ports, etc.

Part of the town does go up a step hill that involves some steps. Maybe worth it. Maybe not.

Villefranche sur Mer is set in one of the world's most beautiful bays. The original Old Town is at the base of a natural amphitheater of mountains and terraced hills. The views are wonderful and it is easy to see why so many people fall in love with Villefranche. The bay itself is very deep and many of the Mediterranean's largest cruise ships stop in the bay. Nearby are Mount Boron, which looks down over the bay from the west; Nice to the west and St. Jean Cap Ferrat, Beaulieu sur Mer, Eze Village and Eze Bord de Mer to the east.

Yes, a ship tour can be worth doing. Any added questions or reactions?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip.

Beautiful photos as always.

We did a private tour, just the two of us and loved it. Many areas were flat, along with many that were hilly. Don't go to EZE as it would be too hilly for your wife. A private tour would be able to take you so many places, especially if you are interested in Nice, Monaco and Villefranche sur Med. Our tour was 5 hours with Ingrid of K u l t o u r s. Many great memories and a photo showing three countries!

I wish you and your wife a wonderful cruise!

We did a private tour, just the two of us and loved it. Many areas were flat, along with many that were hilly. Don't go to EZE as it would be too hilly for your wife. A private tour would be able to take you so many places, especially if you are interested in Nice, Monaco and Villefranche sur Med. Our tour was 5 hours with Ingrid of K u l t o u r s. Many great memories and a photo showing three countries!

I wish you and your wife a wonderful cruise!

We are beginning to think that a private tour may be the answer as it looks as though the Celebrity tour coaches cannot get down close to the tender wharf and looking at some of the photo's of the steps in the town to negotiate together with the distance to walk would be a a bit too far for comfort. It seems though that smaller taxi vehicles can park close to the quayside so I will research some private tours. Thanks for the info :).

We are beginning to think that a private tour may be the answer as it looks as though the Celebrity tour coaches cannot get down close to the tender wharf and looking at some of the photo's of the steps in the town to negotiate together with the distance to walk would be a a bit too far for comfort. It seems though that smaller taxi vehicles can park close to the quayside so I will research some private tours. Thanks for the info :).

Have a great cruise, I am sure you will like Villefranche and the Riviera

Dave

Beautiful photos as always.

pb3053: We are beginning to think that a private tour may be the answer as it looks as though the Celebrity tour coaches cannot get down close to the tender wharf and looking at some of the photo's of the steps in the town to negotiate together with the distance to walk would be a a bit too far for comfort. It seems though that smaller taxi vehicles can park close to the quayside so I will research some private tours. Thanks for the info .

Good that you are considering private tour options. Lots of great potentials and options in and around this port' date=' nearby, etc. Some of the Celebrity tour coaches are larger. Some smaller. Maybe they can get closer to the quayside building. Maybe not. Hard to know and be sure of those details in advance. Good luck!!

Appreciate the nice comments from cruisingator2 on the photos. The credit goes to the great beauty, character and setting that is there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 137,108 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Archived