Cruise Insurance

Does anyone have the latest rates for Rccl's cruise ins can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks

Never buy insurance from the cruise line. Coverage is terrible and price is high! Go to insuremytrip.com and compare rates for package plans. Make sure you get sufficient Medical coverage ($50,000) and note that there are restrictions for covering existing medical conditions. In most cases you need to insure ALL NONREFUNDABLE COSTS and purchase insurance within 10 days of INITIAL PAYMENT to get coverage for previously existing medical conditions. Read the policy before you buy!

Cruise Insurance is a very personal topic, and one of great debate here. There are those that swear by it, and those that don't get it. Personally, I have looked at it closely and determined that it is not a beneficial part of my investment strategy. However, that is an entirely personal decision.

My best advice, look at several offers, and pay attention to what is covered, and the particulars about it. Then look at your own situation and decide if it is a worthwhile investment.

Don't know all the rates but between $1500 and $1999 cruise price it is $119 per person. It covers independently booked air as well. The chart showing prices is on the RCI web site. I think it is under "before your cruise".

Cruise Insurance is a very personal topic, and one of great debate here. There are those that swear by it, and those that don't get it. Personally, I have looked at it closely and determined that it is not a beneficial part of my investment strategy. However, that is an entirely personal decision.

My best advice, look at several offers, and pay attention to what is covered, and the particulars about it. Then look at your own situation and decide if it is a worthwhile investment.

Just wondering, what would you do if you needed emergency medical treatment in a foreign country. You realize, of course, they would not accept your "Blue Cross" card! Or if you had to be medevuatced which could cost $50,000 - $100,000.

I have use different insurance, I like Travel Guard the best. I just used RCCL insurance on my cruise in April, (thought I was saving money) my husband got sick while we were still in Florida, still fighting for them to pay for the extra hotel bill, food, etc. He was too sick to fly home, they even have a doctor's report. Even though I called and they confirmed that we would be completely covered they are not quick to pay. I will never use RCCL Cruise Care again. Like others have said check out other insurance companies.

Personal decision, yes definitely.

We only have one reason and that is due to ailing parents.

Just make sure it covers what you want at the price you want to pay.

I also would not ensure through the CL. What if the cancellation is due to CL financial reasons? You probably won't collect anyway, depending on who is backing the insurance payouts.

Cruise Lines are not in the insurance business. They are just agents for whatever insurance company they are using and they add a fee for that. Coverage is usually not that good and price is high for the coverage you get. You need to read the policy before you purchase any travel insurance to see exactly what you are getting and understand all the restrictions.

Just wondering, what would you do if you needed emergency medical treatment in a foreign country. You realize, of course, they would not accept your "Blue Cross" card! Or if you had to be medevuatced which could cost $50,000 - $100,000.

I have a number of potential contingencies. I have some partial coverage for travel health through other plans. Also, I have made a decision about the probability of needing this sort of coverage, and my personal financial situation. Like I said, it's really no different than any other investment. You have to look at the risks, benefits and alternatives, and determine what makes sense in your own portfolio.

I have a number of potential contingencies. I have some partial coverage for travel health through other plans. Also, I have made a decision about the probability of needing this sort of coverage, and my personal financial situation. Like I said, it's really no different than any other investment. You have to look at the risks, benefits and alternatives, and determine what makes sense in your own portfolio.

Not being argumentative here just trying to provide info. I assume that your medical insurance covers travel. My medical insurance provides 100% coverage for travel. The problem is that doctors and hospitals in foreign countries do not recognize my medical insurance because the have no way of billing them. Without travel insurance, you would have to pay for any treatment in cash or credit card. No problem for something minor, but for hospital care, most people may not have enough credit to cover this. Also, in a foreign country how would you know which doctor or hospital to use. Insurance companies have representatives in every country, who speak your language, to get you to the right doctor / hospital. Medical Evacuation is usually not covered by most medical insurance and is very expensive. Of course, most people never use this coverage, but if you really have a serious medical emergency, the small cost for travel insurance is worthwhile.

Not being argumentative here just trying to provide info. I assume that your medical insurance covers travel. My medical insurance provides 100% coverage for travel. The problem is that doctors and hospitals in foreign countries do not recognize my medical insurance because the have no way of billing them. Without travel insurance, you would have to pay for any treatment in cash or credit card. No problem for something minor, but for hospital care, most people may not have enough credit to cover this. Also, in a foreign country how would you know which doctor or hospital to use. Insurance companies have representatives in every country, who speak your language, to get you to the right doctor / hospital. Medical Evacuation is usually not covered by most medical insurance and is very expensive. Of course, most people never use this coverage, but if you really have a serious medical emergency, the small cost for travel insurance is worthwhile.

Hmm... you are "not being argumentative" with me in three different threads this morning.:cool: It's kinda like my own groupie! Or maybe stalker! LOL!

All kidding aside. You raise valid points. All of which I have considered. I am well versed in what I do and do not have covered. I also am able to appreciate the likelihood of needing any of these medical services. As such, I have reached the conclusion that travel insurance is not a worthwhile investment FOR ME. However, as I have said since the beginning of this thread, that is a very personal decision. Like any investment, everyone needs to understand the potential upside, as well as the relative risk they are making. Determine what you are comfortable with and you should be just fine!:)

Hmm... you are "not being argumentative" with me in three different threads this morning.:cool: It's kinda like my own groupie! Or maybe stalker! LOL!

All kidding aside. You raise valid points. All of which I have considered. I am well versed in what I do and do not have covered. I also am able to appreciate the likelihood of needing any of these medical services. As such, I have reached the conclusion that travel insurance is not a worthwhile investment FOR ME. However, as I have said since the beginning of this thread, that is a very personal decision. Like any investment, everyone needs to understand the potential upside, as well as the relative risk they are making. Determine what you are comfortable with and you should be just fine!:)

OK. My primary reason for my previous post was for anyone considering travel insurance. I used to sell cruises and found out the most people do not have a clue about travel insurance. This also applies to many travel agents who are just interested in the insurance commission. Just for the record, I was being argumentative in the other two threads.

Family member was on a cruise to Bermuda this past week, serious peanut allergy, got sick and had to be medevac'd back to US. $18,000 for flight!

Just wondering if they had travel insurance and did the insurance company make all arrangements for Medevac?

Have had to cancel 3 cruises. We have always gotten our money back.

Believe me you never know when you might have a a need for the insurance, There are all kinds of situations....emergency trip to the hospital, automobile accident, death in family, children who need you, just to list a few.

Wouldn't leave home or plan a cruise without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work for a company whose owners have a good amount of money, but frugal. The owner's wife is going on a trip to out of the country in a few weeks. I was trying to talk her into travel insurance. Her policy would be a $98 premium and cover medical and medical evac. She says to me this morning "We can well afford it if something happened to me there". Really? You'd rather pay thousands of dollars out of your pocket in leiu of a $98 premium. Some people are so ridiculous. Bottom line: I talked her into spending the $98.

I always buy CruiseCare from the insurance company that RCI is an agent for and I recommend everyone get some type of medical and travel insurance. There is no doubt there are less expensive options that may even provide better coverage, but I have not yet made the leap to trust a web site to properly vet the safety and security of the travel insurance companies they represent.

Right or wrong, I trust RCI as a major corporation to make that decision for me and stand behind their selection.

I do have a question. I thought the travel insurance company would reimburse you not be the primary payer? If you showed up at a hospital in Bermuda I still believe you need a credit card. Will they accept your little piece of paper from ABC insurance?:confused:

Does anyone have the latest rates for Rccl's cruise ins can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks

Cruise Care Rates As of January 1, 2013:

(Amounts are in USD and are per person)

$29 for cruise fares of $0 to $500

$59 for cruise fares of $501 to $1000

$89 for cruise fares of $1001 to $1500

$119 for cruise fares of $1501 to $2000

$159 for cruise fares of $2001 to $2500

$199 for cruise fares of $2501 to $3000

$259 for cruise fares of $3001 to 3500

$299 for cruise fares of $3501 to $4000

$339 for cruise fares of $4001 to $4500

$379 for cruise fares of $4501 to $5000

$459 for cruise fares of $5001 to $6000

$539 for cruise fares of $6001 to $6500

$569 for cruise fares of $6501 to $7000

$599 for cruise fares of $7001 to $7500

$639 for cruise fares of $7501 to $8000

$679 for cruise fares of $8001 to $8500

$709 for cruise fares of $8501 to $9000

$749 for cruise fares of $9001 to $9500

$789 for cruise fares of $9501 to $10000

$799 for cruise fares of $10001 - More

Prices Subject to Change

I recommend everyone get some type of medical and travel insurance.

Thanks, but I've looked into it and it doesn't make sense for me. I've chosen the investments that I'm most comfortable with, and I just don't see this as a worthwhile return.

Interesting that you genuinely believe that this is a good idea for "everyone", with no consideration of their current well-being, family situation, or investment portfolio.

I think it's somewhat irresponsible when people come on here and trash travel insurance as "bad for everyone". And that's why I don't do that. I know it's not a good investment for me, but who am I to speak for everyone else? I think it is equally irresponsible to come on here and intimate that it is something that "everyone" should get. Combine that with the attempts to scare people (like the $18,000 medevac- sounds like a reasonable price to me), and there are a lot of scare tactics being used that make me really uncomfortable.

In most cases, the insurance companies will advance money to the hospital.

I think they guarantee payment. In most cases travel insurance provides secondary coverage which means they pay, up to the policy limit, whatever you own medical insurance does not pay. If you have no medical insurance, then the travel insurance becomes primary.

I always buy CruiseCare from the insurance company that RCI is an agent for and I recommend everyone get some type of medical and travel insurance. There is no doubt there are less expensive options that may even provide better coverage, but I have not yet made the leap to trust a web site to properly vet the safety and security of the travel insurance companies they represent.

Right or wrong, I trust RCI as a major corporation to make that decision for me and stand behind their selection.

I do have a question. I thought the travel insurance company would reimburse you not be the primary payer? If you showed up at a hospital in Bermuda I still believe you need a credit card. Will they accept your little piece of paper from ABC insurance?:confused:

RCI is an agent for an Insurance Company. If you wind up using the insurance, you will deal with the insurance company not with RCI. I have no idea what you mean by trusting a web site. You can get ratings and reviews for all travel insurance companies and I would suspect that many of them rate higher than the one RCI uses. As far as medical coverage is concerned, I believe there are one or two worldwide companies who provide the medical coverage. Travel Insurance companies basically subcontract the medical coverage to one of these companies. It does not make sense that every travel insurance company will have a representative in every major city in in the world. In most cases, the medical insurance company will help you find the right doctor/ hospital and guarantee payment for larger amounts. They will make all arrangements for medical evacuation.

Sounds like a rational cost-benefit analysis to me. :cool: Most of your major insurance decisions are made for you (auto and home). Life and disability insurance being totally voluntary.

The OP wanted to know the cost, and we (me) kinda got off track as CC posters often do. I just paid $238 dollars to cover a $6,000 cruise/air cost. Seems reasonable to me just based on that cost, but considering the possible medical costs for two, it seems even cheaper.

I apologize if you thought that my recommendation for everyone came off as demanding. That was not my intention, it was my opinion.

You make major contributions to these forums. Please remember we all have opinions.:)

Archived