What do I need to know before boarding Freedom of the Seas?

We signed up for the Meet and Mingle on our FOS cruise. They held it in the Olive or Twist lounge. I am so glad I went. This lounge has the best views. It was incredible. The emcee for the mingle was hilarious and several door prizes were handed out. Several people won 30 minutes of free internet! I didn't win anything, but it was nice to meet some people who post on Cruise Critic. So, my advice is register for the Meet and Mingle and visit the Olive or Twist lounge.

Thanks I think I may look into the meet and mingle. Could be fun!!

I've seen on this board that the magic show is great but I looked at the weekly schedule someone posted but didn't see it. I don't want to miss it!!! Anyone know when and where it is?

Here is a show schedule:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/showtimes/showtimes_FR.pdf

The magic show is called "Now You See It".

We are on the western one.. And we have an ocean view room. One day I'd like

to try a balcony but its just not in the budget this year

We have done the western 4 times now on Freedom and absolutely love her. Just some suggestions for shore excursion, but you have probably already booked them by now. In Labadee, the cabanas at Nellies Beach make for a very relaxing day ! In Jamaica we did the Iberostar resort. It was fantastic ! You spend all day at the 5 star resort and all drinks and food are included. In Grand Cayman we have done both the sea turtle farm and the stingray excursions and loved them both and Cozumel we have done the Rhino 4x4 excursion. Let us know how the trip goes. We sail on Allure the same day as your Freedom cruise. Enjoy !

How did you book the pasta demo at Portofinos. I don't see it offered in the specialty restaurants section.

It's not offered online, you can make reservations on the ship. We enjoyed the lunch, plus, at an extra cost, they offered a wine sampling with 3 wines to try.

Check out the helipad at night, it is an amazing place to stargaze!

Sherri:)

We have done the western 4 times now on Freedom and absolutely love her. Just some suggestions for shore excursion, but you have probably already booked them by now. In Labadee, the cabanas at Nellies Beach make for a very relaxing day ! In Jamaica we did the Iberostar resort. It was fantastic ! You spend all day at the 5 star resort and all drinks and food are included. In Grand Cayman we have done both the sea turtle farm and the stingray excursions and loved them both and Cozumel we have done the Rhino 4x4 excursion. Let us know how the trip goes. We sail on Allure the same day as your Freedom cruise. Enjoy !

I did captian Marvin's sting rays once before but I really want to see the sea turtles this time. I can't wait!! And the rhino 4x4 sounds interesting also. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogchopper

I've seen on this board that the magic show is great but I looked at the weekly schedule someone posted but didn't see it. I don't want to miss it!!! Anyone know when and where it is?

Here is a show schedule:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/cont...owtimes_FR.pdf

The magic show is called "Now You See It".

That helps!! I don't know why I didn't see that before!! Thanks

You've had good advice so far. We just got off Freedom on the 21st...

Embarkation day:

Get onboard early and head for the Cafe Promenade! EVERYONE is going to Windjammer, which doesn't open until 11 or 11:30 anyway. The coffee and tea are free, they have snacks, and Sorrentos is right down the way for pizza. We parked right on the Promenade until our cabin was ready and had a great time.

Vintages: If you like wine, and Singh is onboard, meet him on day one! He's great at picking wines, AND, Vintages on Freedom has an unadvertised until you're onboard wine pairing dinner. I forget the price, but it's usually only a handful of people. The food is the MDR food, but the wine's are hand selected based on your menu choices, and you get great wines paired with each course, and individual service. We loved it.

The main advice for Freedom: She's a big ship. Don't try to do everything. You can't!

As you can see by my history, I love Freedom.

Arrive early to Port. We are there by 10:30am. Get thru check-in.

Last time we sailed we were in a suite and we were 8-9 and 10th person on board at our entrance.

Enjoy the shows.

Sea Ya

We sailed FOS in 2011. 2 years ago, we would have gotten off the ship today! (Sunday)

If I was to go again, I would pack evening, casual clothes in the bag I take to board. Our luggage did not make it into our cabin in time to dress for dinner(Early seating). We packed our bathing suits and spent the whole afternoon at the pool/sailaway. When we headed back to the cabin, we had no clothes, no shampoo, etc to dress. The MDR is casual on the 1st night, but to walk in with sweaty clothes and pool hair was not fun and a bit embarrissing. Not that the MDR crew were not gracious, because they were. It has to do with how I felt about the situation.

I guess I would talk it over with hubby and if we didnt pack other clothes, we would 1) head to the WJ for dinner, or go on to the promanade to eat or eat room service on our balcony. *I just asked Hubby what he would do if we went again and he said "head to the WJ" That is us though. If you want to eat in the MDR then-take extra clothes, etc!!!!

I dont EVER want to go to the MDR without showering and dressing fresh again.

I would also do MTD. We are not big MDR people. We are on vacation and dont want to dress up. I did love seeing all the "good looking" Dressed up people though!:) If we would go to MDR, we would make plan on that. We would also give our son, now 13, was 11 on FOS, a choice if he wanted to eat before the kids activities, then hubby and I would have a "date". Take son to MDR was a bit of a drag. I think he would be happier elsewhere.

Anytime you need to go to Guest Services, you during the MDR dinner time. The line will be shorter.

If you are going to CocoCay, get off the ship EARLY!!! When the captain says you can go-GO!!!!! The line for the tenders went ALL the way up the stairs(like 5 flights?) the later you wait. Some people did not get on a tender at all or they just gve up and got out of line.

We ordered Bfast on all our port days. You can order on your tv the night before. We would eat in the room then get off the ship. Room service is a blast! We would eat a late night snack before bed too from room service.

We were suppose to go east, but because of a tropical storm, we went west after CocoCay. Cozumel is a late boarding time and if you have early seating, you might miss it. We went to the WJ and enjoyed ourselves, but our waiter said we should have come on in. So check with you waiter if you board late if you might want to eat in MDR on a late port day.

If I think of more info, I will post again. I am realy to cruise again, hubby and son, not so much :(

You've had good advice so far. We just got off Freedom on the 21st...

Embarkation day:

Get onboard early and head for the Cafe Promenade! EVERYONE is going to Windjammer, which doesn't open until 11 or 11:30 anyway. The coffee and tea are free, they have snacks, and Sorrentos is right down the way for pizza. We parked right on the Promenade until our cabin was ready and had a great time.

Vintages: If you like wine, and Singh is onboard, meet him on day one! He's great at picking wines, AND, Vintages on Freedom has an unadvertised until you're onboard wine pairing dinner. I forget the price, but it's usually only a handful of people. The food is the MDR food, but the wine's are hand selected based on your menu choices, and you get great wines paired with each course, and individual service. We loved it.

The main advice for Freedom: She's a big ship. Don't try to do everything. You can't!

I do like to get there early!!! but going to the cafe promenade is something different.. We will definitely try that out !! Thanks

As you can see by my history, I love Freedom.

Arrive early to Port. We are there by 10:30am. Get thru check-in.

Last time we sailed we were in a suite and we were 8-9 and 10th person on board at our entrance.

Enjoy the shows.

Sea Ya

I love shows and I've heard they are great on this ship, I can't wait

We sailed FOS in 2011. 2 years ago, we would have gotten off the ship today! (Sunday)

If I was to go again, I would pack evening, casual clothes in the bag I take to board. Our luggage did not make it into our cabin in time to dress for dinner(Early seating). We packed our bathing suits and spent the whole afternoon at the pool/sailaway. When we headed back to the cabin, we had no clothes, no shampoo, etc to dress. The MDR is casual on the 1st night, but to walk in with sweaty clothes and pool hair was not fun and a bit embarrissing. Not that the MDR crew were not gracious, because they were. It has to do with how I felt about the situation.

I guess I would talk it over with hubby and if we didnt pack other clothes, we would 1) head to the WJ for dinner, or go on to the promanade to eat or eat room service on our balcony. *I just asked Hubby what he would do if we went again and he said "head to the WJ" That is us though. If you want to eat in the MDR then-take extra clothes, etc!!!!

I dont EVER want to go to the MDR without showering and dressing fresh again.

I would also do MTD. We are not big MDR people. We are on vacation and dont want to dress up. I did love seeing all the "good looking" Dressed up people though!:) If we would go to MDR, we would make plan on that. We would also give our son, now 13, was 11 on FOS, a choice if he wanted to eat before the kids activities, then hubby and I would have a "date". Take son to MDR was a bit of a drag. I think he would be happier elsewhere.

Anytime you need to go to Guest Services, you during the MDR dinner time. The line will be shorter.

If you are going to CocoCay, get off the ship EARLY!!! When the captain says you can go-GO!!!!! The line for the tenders went ALL the way up the stairs(like 5 flights?) the later you wait. Some people did not get on a tender at all or they just gve up and got out of line.

We ordered Bfast on all our port days. You can order on your tv the night before. We would eat in the room then get off the ship. Room service is a blast! We would eat a late night snack before bed too from room service.

We were suppose to go east, but because of a tropical storm, we went west after CocoCay. Cozumel is a late boarding time and if you have early seating, you might miss it. We went to the WJ and enjoyed ourselves, but our waiter said we should have come on in. So check with you waiter if you board late if you might want to eat in MDR on a late port day.

If I think of more info, I will post again. I am realy to cruise again, hubby and son, not so much :(

Good tips!! Guest services during dining time!! And the Cozumel wait to disembark is good to know!!! I hate waiting in lines like that!!

Thanks

Archived