Marina. Shows

brian_uk

We enjoy a good piano bar. The piano was configured on Riviera in a bad spot with few chairs and poor sight lines, and the sleepy pianist could not draw an audience. We have been on another luxury line where the pianist in the piano bar plays quiet numbers from the American song book before dinner, making it a pleasant place to stop for a drink. Then, later at night the pace picks up and it rocks more and with the right pianist, it is one of the most fun venues on the ship.

I know that O was considering moving the piano into the area where the string quartet plays (Terrace bar?) which might be an improvement.

Different strokes for different folks, but many people enjoy a piano bar with a talented pianist/singer who can get the crowd involved and it provides something to do for those who don't head straight to their cabins after dinner.

We are booked on our first Oceania cruise next Jan. We've been on many cruises on multiple lines. Each chooses how to spend their money. It seems obvious from these boards and O marketing that the emphasis is on the food. That is the main attraction for us. As long as the food is as advertised we will not be disappointed.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

I totally agree with Brian, if you want to be tucked up in bed by 22:00 then that's your prerogative. But many others would like some entertainment either a show or a comedian and it would be available for whoever wants to go.

This would then attract a more diverse age range of OP.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You say"more diverse age range" like it's a good thing. As ex-HAL with our first O booked, we're quite comfortable with a predictable pax profile of mature, veteran travelers who can be counted on for interesting conversation, setting-appropriate behavior, and a quiet ship promoting rest for the next great port day. Looking forward to the amazing O food as well. Neither entertainment nor wine policies would influence our choice of cruise lines.

" Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD "

I know I am lagging behind in technology but what on earth did this mean ?

Sent from my PC using a typewriter thingy !!!

Brian

Amazon_KFTT_Kindle_Fire_HD_7_300.jpgKFTT is a type of E-Reader (basically, a second generation Kindle Fire).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzYUbstqx5Dk-pLIHTPHhSeoAn_7ZnOhs8kl9bHstEA-gwjeBGTapatalk HD is an Operating System (the kids say App) which Itunes offers so that Android Devices may access the Internet

If you want entertainment go to Las Vegas, or the West End.

Actually on our second cruise way back in 06, they had two guys from the West End singing show tunes. They were great. Best entertainment I've seen on O. That may not be a fair comment though, as I haven't gone to any for the last four cruises. It's more pain than I can bare. ;-)

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

...Tapatalk HD is an Operating System (the kids say App) which Itunes offers so that Android Devices may access the Internet

Slight tweak... :p

Tapatalk is a program (called App when talking about smartphone-based) that allows you to easily review and post to Forum websites, like Cruise Critic, using your smartphone or tablet device. This type of App is known as a 'community reader.'

Android-based devices do not get their Apps from iTunes... only iPhones and iPads do.

Android Apps are gotten from Google Play.

;)

Slight tweak... :p

Tapatalk is a program (called App when talking about smartphone-based) that allows you to easily review and post to Forum websites, like Cruise Critic, using your smartphone or tablet device. This type of App is known as a 'community reader.'

Android-based devices do not get their Apps from iTunes... only iPhones and iPads do.

Android Apps are gotten from Google Play.

;)

Thank you for that explanation - straight from the horse's mouth (as thay say) :D

We enjoy a good piano bar. The piano was configured on Riviera in a bad spot with few chairs and poor sight lines, and the sleepy pianist could not draw an audience. ...

Agree with your comments on the room. On the R-ship Martini's is too small to hold all those who would participate in the evening's entertainment and the O-class it is divided up into small 'private' areas cutting off the sight-line to the entertainer. While great for background music it is not nearly as suitable or a much fun for interactive entertainment such as 'name that tune' or sing-along (not that I do do either at all well). We have had very entertaining entertainers in Martini's but the room is a drawback.

On one O-class sailing a close-up magician performed twice in Martinis. I enjoy close-up and looked forward to this. The first night we sat through the entire evening and never saw him once. He moved from one to another (2 in total) and could not be seen except at those tables. A group of children (ranging < 15 years old) got so bored they laid down on the floor and played made up games. Next performance night we enjoyed after dinner drinks on deck instead.

This O-class layout works fine for a public bar on land perhaps but on a ship where there is a lot of social action amongst the guests I think it does not work as well. There always can be a private corner but the dividers throughout break up any continuity. I hope when the next O-class is designed Martini's is redesigned with a different layout. Maybe if opened up it even could be used for Trivia which we also skip on O-class as the show lounge seating is not nearly as good as on the R-ships.

Sent using a PC keyboard without a self-promoting app :)

Amazon_KFTT_Kindle_Fire_HD_7_300.jpgKFTT is a type of E-Reader (basically, a second generation Kindle Fire).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzYUbstqx5Dk-pLIHTPHhSeoAn_7ZnOhs8kl9bHstEA-gwjeBGTapatalk HD is an Operating System (the kids say App) which Itunes offers so that Android Devices may access the Internet

Did I die and go to Geek Heaven ?

Brian

Archived