The cards you fill out for employees

I have been pretty surprised at how little "WOW" factor I've seen in my last couple of cruises. I've run into some pretty cold attitudes from some of the staff - some of the activities staff, the dining room lunch crew, etc... maybe I'm expecting too much.

If you are memorable (good or bad) you get mentioned by name in the survey. If I think you deserve a WOW card, I'll give you one.

On our last cruise, there was a young girl that worked in Sorrento's and the Windjammer. She went above and beyond to help us (without us even saying a word). She earned both the card and the praise in the survey.

If its useless than she can just throw it away. If it helps, then at least I know she has it.

Don't make assumptions about me! You don't know the first thing about me! As an employer, the last thing I do before leaving every day is go around and thank everyone personally. If someone comes by my office on their way out to say goodbye, I thank them! If someone really steps up, or shines, I will go out of my way to let them know how much I appreciate it. You haven't the first clue who I am or how I do business. And statements like those you made show your ignorance.

I have an incredibly loyal staff and very satisfied customers, and I work hard to let all of them know how much I appreciate them. I have customers who also express their appreciation for my staff and myself, and it means the world! But they do it because they CHOOSE to, and because it is merited by the service they receive. Not because they are constantly being bombarded with surveys and feedback cards.

Is there merit to RCI's approach? Perhaps. They are after all, a large successful company. Do I think it's an ideal way to continuously engage customers? Personally, no. So, I don't choose to engage back. I do not believe they are expecting or demanding 100% participation. So no harm, no foul.

Now, have I on occasion expressed my pleasure when I was in fact very pleased? Of course. But I do not and will not feel obligated to submit a "report card" on every aspect of my cruise every time I step on board.

Where is this constant bombardment you mention. Handing a guest a Wow card and asking him or her to fill out a guest satisfaction survey at the conclusion of their cruise hardly qualifies for your description, and claiming that it is an unwelcome intrusion in your vacation time seems a bit extreme to me. If you have the time to go around each day and thank each of your employees for their work, I'd think that the brief amount of time to hand someone on a cruise ship a Wow card, or take the few minutes that filling out the survey are infinitesimal impositions on your vacation time, and if one or the other, or both, inspires cruise staff to provide the highest standards of service and allows the line to gauge just how well the staff is satisfying its passengers, it seems to be a worthwhile activity. We only know you from your words, so perhaps it is your choice of them that has caused some to question the values you express.

If you are memorable (good or bad) you get mentioned by name in the survey. If I think you deserve a WOW card, I'll give you one.

On our last cruise, there was a young girl that worked in Sorrento's and the Windjammer. She went above and beyond to help us (without us even saying a word). She earned both the card and the praise in the survey.

If its useless than she can just throw it away. If it helps, then at least I know she has it.

Agreed

I first encountered the WOW cards on the Indy in April. I gave out three { along with an extra tip} I think I would use them again but I do agree it is good for the crew to get mentioned in the surveys as well.

Where is this constant bombardment you mention.

I have felt on recent cruises, like there is a bit too much emphasis on the surveys. They put reminders in the daily program, the CD seems to mention it during announcements, they remind you again about it in the final day or days....

Maybe "bombard" is a slight overstatement. But I personally would be more receptive to it if it wasn't something they always asked of everyone. Take a sampling each time and you're guaranteed to get the same information.

I dispose of them before even boarding the ship. I paid my fare, it's not my job to evaluate and review the crew. I run a business myself, and while on occasion, I might seek some subtle feedback from certain clients, I would never desperately ask every person who conducts business with me to fill out a report card. I think it's one of the DUMBEST things the otherwise exceptional RCI does.

Now, have I on occasion expressed my pleasure when I was in fact very pleased? Of course. But I do not and will not feel obligated to submit a "report card" on every aspect of my cruise every time I step on board.

We do not usually fill out the "report card" review of the cruise but we do on occasion. Like the time the mirror fell of the wall onto our bed in the middle of the night while we were sleeping. We reported how a dangerous situation was handled well and praised the people that took care of us. As for WOW cards we haven't given them out every time. We leave them in our room and sometimes on the last night of the cruise they hit the garbage and on other cruises they get handed out to they crew that WOWED us.

What one chooses to do with the cards is their own business. However, throwing them out before boarding the ship gives a person no way to officially acknowledge a crew member that might go above and beyond. Yes cash is always a good way to say thanks as well as actually saying "thank-you" to that crew member to show appreciation. The WOW card is a bit of extra gravy for the crew member and a bragging right for them as well. As others posted it has some value for the crew member as well in perks.

As an individual and a business owner I do not shut doors to opportunities before they fully pass. I hold on to an opportunity for as long as possible as I need to experience it, learn how will it effect me, and be educated before I make a quick decision.

Don't get me wrong, I roll with quick decisions, but I don't live my life like a Shark Tank.

We do not usually fill out the "report card" review of the cruise but we do on occasion. Like the time the mirror fell of the wall onto our bed in the middle of the night while we were sleeping. We reported how a dangerous situation was handled well and praised the people that took care of us. As for WOW cards we haven't given them out every time. We leave them in our room and sometimes on the last night of the cruise they hit the garbage and on other cruises they get handed out to they crew that WOWED us.

What one chooses to do with the cards is their own business. However, throwing them out before boarding the ship gives a person no way to officially acknowledge a crew member that might go above and beyond. Yes cash is always a good way to say thanks as well as actually saying "thank-you" to that crew member to show appreciation. The WOW card is a bit of extra gravy for the crew member and a bragging right for them as well. As others posted it has some value for the crew member as well in perks.

As an individual and a business owner I do not shut doors to opportunities before they fully pass. I hold on to an opportunity for as long as possible as I need to experience it, learn how will it effect me, and be educated before I make a quick decision.

Don't get me wrong, I roll with quick decisions, but I don't live my life like a Shark Tank.

Okay, you caught me! I am sometimes prone to a bit of hyperbole. I must confess I probably don't every throw them out before even boarding. The reality is they end up with whatever other paperwork I get at check in (first day compass, fliers, etc...), and probably sits on the desk or gets stuck in the desk drawer and forgotten about.

You are right, and if someone really impressed me, and I had a "WOW" card handy, I might (MIGHT) use it.

We gave a WOW card to our Assistant Waiter on our Dec. 2012 Liberty cruise. He was absolutely thrilled to the point of jumping up and down. I also mentioned him on the guest survey. Just his smile all night long and also in the Windjammer was worth it.

Okay, you caught me! I am sometimes prone to a bit of hyperbole. I must confess I probably don't every throw them out before even boarding. The reality is they end up with whatever other paperwork I get at check in (first day compass, fliers, etc...), and probably sits on the desk or gets stuck in the desk drawer and forgotten about.

You are right, and if someone really impressed me, and I had a "WOW" card handy, I might (MIGHT) use it.

Yes, we too have a pile on the corner of a desk with cruise info as it comes and goes through out the cruise. A prime example is art auction info goes right to the garbage, disembarkation info gets held onto along with the WOW cards.

We have given out four over our cruises. Two went to the Sand Bar bartenders that brought our drinks to us at the pool when they were extremely busy with a rush. That being said we had cruised with both of them on previous occasions and they know how easy going we are.:) The other two we gave them to our cabin stewards. Even though we keep a tidy room they took amazing care of us and they fully deserved them.

There is a difference of someone doing their job and someone going over and above while doing their job. That is when we use our WOW cards.

Those are called WOW cards. From what the crew tell us, and what I read here, they can accumulate cards and redeem them for various prizes or perks. However, we've been told by more than one crewmember that they would rather be mentioned by name in the Guest Satisfaction Survey.

I haven't seen those yet. Interesting concept though. I wonder if something like that would work with my kids. We could give out WOW cards for stuff like cleaning their rooms, picking up after themselves, learning that dirty dishes actually have go into the dishwasher to get cleaned, not loosing the car keys, or realizing that when the gas gauge reads E, teenagers are really allowed to go to the station and fill the car up. So maybe if they collect, say, three WOW card during the day they would get something special - like Dinner.;)

I haven't seen those yet. Interesting concept though. I wonder if something like that would work with my kids. We could give out WOW cards for stuff like cleaning their rooms, picking up after themselves, learning that dirty dishes actually have go into the dishwasher to get cleaned, not loosing the car keys, or realizing that when the gas gauge reads E, teenagers are really allowed to go to the station and fill the car up. So maybe if they collect, say, three WOW card during the day they would get something special - like Dinner.;)

Maybe the crew could give them to the guests that have exceptional manners, clean up after themselves, and don't hog chairs anywhere on the ship.:p

Maybe the crew could give them to the guests that have exceptional manners, clean up after themselves, and don't hog chairs anywhere on the ship.:p

I like that idea!:D Maybe even anti WOW cards for ill mannered goofs and chair hogs - collect three and spend the night in the brig!:eek:

I dispose of them before even boarding the ship. I paid my fare, it's not my job to evaluate and review the crew.

You come very close to why I don't like what tipping represents on a cruise.

I didn't hire the people and I'm certainly one of the least qualified to evaluate their job performance.

We did fill out the survey because there were certain individuals that did an outstanding job and, while we praised them and spoke with their supervisors, the survey is a way to officially recognize those folks. We also were underwhelmed by some aspects of the trip and graded those items accordingly (we also spoke with supervisors and gave them the opportunity to correct the issues during our vacation).

Okay, you caught me! I am sometimes prone to a bit of hyperbole.

And "sometimes" might, in itself, be a bit of hyperbole, if we were to base our opinion on some of your negative comments. Before I would let these things bother me as much as they seem to bother you, I might look to another line that cares less about how well they and their crew provide more than simply satisfactory service.

I don't know. I filled one out for the poor RCCL employee that had to greet us at the hotel in Baltimore (at the hotel) post Grandeur fire at 1am....where a bus load of people had to check in all at once after 24 hours of unpleasantness. She had a job that I would never want and she held up...despite the hour...despite how hungry and tired we all were..etc. She got a WOW card. I hope she still works for RCCL.

BTW: that hotel had kept the bar open and we had an awesome pizza party until 3am. : ) tolerant people rock.

You don't have to fill out either the cards or the survey if you don't want to - and, if you want to complain about announcements - why not complain about bingo announcements? Or Capt Rob's jokes? (OK, I am kidding about that - I enjoy his jokes - sort of.) Anybody know what the percentage return of the surveys on the ships is? Businesses have a heck of time getting a high percentage of return on surveys - partly because of people like me who often fail to get them filled out even when I had good intentions to do so. I routinely hang up on the pollsters calling me, assuming I answered the phone in the first place. On the ships, I usually let the wife do the survey as she has more interest in giving the feedback. I would think that any service business is well advised to try for as much feedback as possible. I have been seeing more of cards like the WOW cards. USAir sends them to me. Just the other day, I was given one at check-in at a Hilton - don't remember getting one there before. Most mid-range restaurants have comment cards all over the place. If I am truly impressed by exceptional service - which has not been all that often, maybe once or twice a year - I try to write a letter to the company about the person.

They didn't even give me WOW cards on my Christmas cruise. Nor did they give them to my sister's family. I'd never heard of them until I started reading Cruise Critic. Maybe they're phasing them out?

On my last cruise in June on Adventure we didn't get any WOW cards but they had WOW envelopes instead. They were for tips over and above what was pre paid. Maybe thesevare going to replace the WOW cards.

I register my satisfaction the same way I do on land: When it is appropriate to do so, I will offer a gratuity. And if I am pleased, I will be a repeat customer, and refer others.

This nonsense about surveys and "WOW" cards is outdated and disingenuous. I don't pester my customers to constantly help me evaluate and praise everyone in my operation. As an occasional tool, customer feedback is useful. But this model of constantly bombarding people is ridiculous. I've never filled out a WOW card, or a survey.

I respect that's your choice but it wouldn't be my choice.

I also disagree with you when you say it's the dumbest ing RCI has done.

I have been pretty surprised at how little "WOW" factor I've seen in my last couple of cruises. I've run into some pretty cold attitudes from some of the staff - some of the activities staff, the dining room lunch crew, etc... maybe I'm expecting too much.

You're expecting what we pay for on a cruise but don't always get.

I don't think you're expecting too much :-)

And "sometimes" might, in itself, be a bit of hyperbole, if we were to base our opinion on some of your negative comments. Before I would let these things bother me as much as they seem to bother you, I might look to another line that cares less about how well they and their crew provide more than simply satisfactory service.

You're assuming that a line which does not "bombard" with surveys and Wow cards doesn't care as much -- but, isn't it quite possible that management could care a great deal, but measure it differently?

As was noted in another comment, studies have shown that sampling via questionnaires less frequently provides data that is just as reliable.

Perhaps, though, they suspect that many think as you do, that an abundance of questionnaires means that the management cares more?

I have to fill out so many performance reviews as part of my job, that part of a vacation, for me, is a break from having to review folks :)

I register my satisfaction the same way I do on land: When it is appropriate to do so, I will offer a gratuity. And if I am pleased, I will be a repeat customer, and refer others.

This nonsense about surveys and "WOW" cards is outdated and disingenuous. I don't pester my customers to constantly help me evaluate and praise everyone in my operation. As an occasional tool, customer feedback is useful. But this model of constantly bombarding people is ridiculous. I've never filled out a WOW card, or a survey.

As a Manager of Customer Service for over 20 years, I can tell you that feedback from clients on a personal level is cherished. I am the recipient of a lot of anger on a daily basis. When clients take the time to thank me for my efforts it not only lifts my spirits, it encourages me to work as hard as I possibly can to ensure 100% satisfaction.

While it is true that repeat and referrals are key to business success, it is the Sr Management that reaps those rewards.

I am glad to hear you reward them with a gratuity, I do the same but please do not discount a kind word. It goes a long way.

I am the recipient of a lot of anger on a daily basis. When clients take the time to thank me for my efforts it not only lifts my spirits...

I had to opportunity to visit Guest Services several times during our cruise - always with a friendly inquiry. For the reason you stated, I always thanked them and told them that they were doing a good job. They catch static all day.

They really were always pleasant and helpful, to me.

As a Manager of Customer Service for over 20 years, I can tell you that feedback from clients on a personal level is cherished. I am the recipient of a lot of anger on a daily basis. When clients take the time to thank me for my efforts it not only lifts my spirits, it encourages me to work as hard as I possibly can to ensure 100% satisfaction.

While it is true that repeat and referrals are key to business success, it is the Sr Management that reaps those rewards.

I am glad to hear you reward them with a gratuity, I do the same but please do not discount a kind word. It goes a long way.

See #23

Archived