Time Change in Juneau and Tour

br3ds0x

I booked a tour (not thru our cruiseline) to do the Alaskan Brewery tour. They have multiple time options, so we selected 4:40pm. I never even gave any thought to a time change, so just checked and Juneau is 1 hour behind Seattle (where we depart from). If I understand correctly, the ship will remain on Seattle's time zone, therefore when we arrive in Juneau at 1pm, this will actually be 12pm Juneau time, correct? So our 4:40 tour would be at 5:40 ship time.

The reason I ask is I emailed the tour company and their response just confused me even more:

"Just like any other mode of transportation, the change in time zone will

be accounted for by the cruise ship when you cross the timezone. That

means if your schedule says 10:00pm departure, that is a 10:00pm ALASKA

time departure."

Any help to clarify this for me?

Thanks

Your ship will NOT stay on the Seattle time zone. No idea where you got that detail.

Your ship will be on Juneau time in Juneau. Hence no worries.

Do they do it differently for Alaska cruises? Every other cruise I've been on, they tell you to always stay on 'ship time' as they don't change the time for each port that may be in a different time zone.

All of your Alaska ports are in the same time zone. You change to Alaska time when you enter Alaska, and change back when you return to the Pacific time zone (whether Seattle or Vancouver/Victoria). We just did a round-trip Seattle cruise last week. We changed to Alaska time the 2nd night, before arriving in Juneau the next day. We changed back to Pacific time the 2nd to last night of the cruise, after leaving Ketchikan and before arriving in Victoria. Ship time always matched port time.

I think you mean ahead :D

No, it is behind. When it is 9am in Anchorage, it is 10am in Seattle and Vancouver. Therefore, Anchorage is behind. ;)

The Western Aleutian-Hawaiian time zone is two hours behind Seattle/Vancouver and one hour behind Anchorage.

I'm not sure who you booked the tour thru but the Brewery store downtown offers a shuttle over to the Brewery for minimal cost. It runs about every hour if I recall. There is no real 'tour" of the Brewery as it is rather small. There was a viewing room with a short video and a guide answered questions about the operation. And of course some free beer :)

If this is your first visit to Juneau I think there are far better things to see and do.

I'm not sure who you booked the tour thru but the Brewery store downtown offers a shuttle over to the Brewery for minimal cost. It runs about every hour if I recall. There is no real 'tour" of the Brewery as it is rather small. There was a viewing room with a short video and a guide answered questions about the operation. And of course some free beer :)

If this is your first visit to Juneau I think there are far better things to see and do.

I thought the same thing, if this is a booking agent, the poster may not be getting what they think and may be paying more than necessary.

Yes, the tour is thru the brewery and takes that shuttle, we just booked a time slot ahead of time. We've been to Juneau a few times already and have done brewery tours at other ports and enjoy them..plus the free beer doesn't hurt.

Archived