Universal or Disney with teenagers???

murphfam4

Some of the time considerations on this previous thread apply here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1886959

Even with 11 hours, your timing would have to be very, very good. I would think that Universal/IOA is more doable than any of the four Disney parks, but I'm not positive. Be aware that the week between Christmas and New Year's Day is the absolute busiest of the year and parks often close their gates as early as noon because they have reached maximum capacity. Even if you get in, there will be long lines for all rides. Give serious thought to a ship's excursion, because you would not have to worry about missing your ship's departure.

Listen to Vic! :cool:

We've been to WDW during Christmas week, staying on the property, and arriving at the parks early (8:00 AM) we were able to ride a few rides using fast pass before noon. After noon the parks were swarmed, :( admission was cut off :mad: (unless you were staying at one of the WDW hotels), and the lines for many rides stretched to well over an hour. :eek:

I would find somehting to do in Cocoa Beach - Kennedy Space Center tour? - and skip Orlando. Good luck! :)

If you (or rather the teens) are determined to do one or the other, I would highly recommend selecting Universal Studios (marginally closer to PC), and then "stack the deck in your favor".

By that, I mean be really smart about your visit. First, be there early - as early as possible before entry as you can and get in line at the gates. Because you are not staying at an on site hotel, you will not be able to enter an hour early like those guests can, meaning that the most popular areas (ie in IOA Harry Potter) will already have many people actively in line. You will want to be first in the park with the regular guests to maximize your time, especially at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Second, buy your tickets online in advance and lock yourself into just one park - two parks is just not a feasible/enjoyable time, especially with multiple people. I would highly recommend Islands of Adventure (IOA) given the age group you are talking about.

Third, consider spending the extra for the Express Pass:

https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/Universal-Express/Express-Passes.aspx

It is like a fast pass, but grants you a one-time per participating attraction pass to the front of the line (or rather, entrance into the "express pass" queue.) Here are the participating attractions at IOA:

Universal's Islands of Adventure®

The Cat In The Hat™

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish™

Caro-Seuss-el™

Poseidon's Fury®

The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad®

Dragon Challenge™

Jurassic Park River Adventure®

Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls®

Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges®

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man®

Doctor Doom's Fearfall®

Storm Force Accelatron®

The Incredible Hulk Coaster®

Flight of the Hippogriff™

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: It does NOT include Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, so go their FIRST THING.

Have fun!

Thanks all!!! Didn't realize that it was the "busiest" week of the year. Also, since Carnival charges $176.00 pp the Express Pass is pretty much out too. Guess they should start thinking of something else to do while there. :o

Thanks all!!! Didn't realize that it was the "busiest" week of the year. Also, since Carnival charges $176.00 pp the Express Pass is pretty much out too. Guess they should start thinking of something else to do while there. :o

Yes, Universal and Disney will be an absolute mess that week, skip both and keep your sanity.

I'd probably stay on the ship and enjoy the warm sunshine and hang out at the pool and enjoy the ship unless you want to tour Cape Canaveral?

I would do Universal and return for a few days another time for Disney.

Keith

Have done both several times, so going to look for something closer to PC. Thanks everyone! Explained it to all 5 teens and they were fine with not going! ;)

That is not enough time for either. Best bet is a beach day or Cape Canaveral. Or take advantage of fewer people on the ship and the pool on the ship.

December 30th will probably be too chilly for the beach in Port Canaveral:D

December 30th will probably be too chilly for the beach in Port Canaveral:D

Depends on your point of view. :)

I know some people where anything above 60 means it is a good day to lay on a beach or jump in the water. At times, I was one of them!

OP, the average high in Dec is 73F and the average low is 53F. Tell your teenagers to prepare for temps in the 60s.

If they are anything like mine, they will still consider it swimming weather, at least compared to the weather at home!

• 2 weeks later...
Have done both several times, so going to look for something closer to PC. Thanks everyone! Explained it to all 5 teens and they were fine with not going! ;)

Tree Top Trek at Brevard zoo is a serious option - zip lines and a challenge course

very 'athletic' but no worries about cold water

you need to arrange transportation but renting a car/van for the day allows you to do this

and/or airboat rides in the St John's

and/or visiting RonJon

and/or going to the beach IF the wx cooperates

Archived