Which side of the ship is best?...Special holiday coming up

Littlesthobo

Hey,

My boyfriend and I are travelling on the Celebrity Solstice during October 2014 (departing Honolulu - Lahaina - Papetee - Bora Bora - Auckland - Bay of Islands and arriving at Sydney) and booking Aqua class. We've been given some options for portside and starboard; however wondered if any of you have done this cruise and have any recommendations? We both love the sun and my instinct is to book Portside so we can see some land, as there's a lot of time at sea anyway; however I appreciate that depending on the direction of travel, sometimes Starboard may be better.

Is anyone able to help or make any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lynds

Lynda

I am not sure if this is your first cruise but, if it is, you may not realised that you will rarely see land whilst at sea. When you reach a port and dock, it is impossible to pre-guess which way round the ship with be docked and, thus, which side of the ship is better.

Your best bet is to select your stateroom depending on whether or not you want the sun on your balcony.

Sue

Thanks Sue. This will be my third cruise, so I'm very aware we won't see much land :-) I just enjoy seeing the some of the ports when you do arrive and it's nice to sit on your balcony and watch when you leave.

What's definitely more important is the sun, so if you or anyone else have any recommendations, then I'd really appreciate it.

Oh and perhaps when we arrive into Sydney, it will be worth being on the "right" side of the ship to see the Opera House.

Lynds

Thanks Sue. This will be my third cruise, so I'm very aware we won't see much land :-) I just enjoy seeing the some of the ports when you do arrive and it's nice to sit on your balcony and watch when you leave.

What's definitely more important is the sun, so if you or anyone else have any recommendations, then I'd really appreciate it.

Oh and perhaps when we arrive into Sydney, it will be worth being on the "right" side of the ship to see the Opera House.

Lynds

Just so you know, 'port side' of the ship has nothing to do with how the ship docks. It's a frequent misconception. At any time the ship could dock in a variety of ways, sometimes backing in, etc. It all depends on who is already at the port and what space is available. So we have been portside and seen the docks, also we've seen the open water. Happens every cruise, and it's just the luck of the draw. So don't let that be your sole deciding factor.

I think it's a good question. We were on the port side of the Solstice last April when it sailed by the volcano on the big island. The passengers in rooms on the starboard side had a great view and didn't have to stand in the rain to enjoy it. I would keep researching to learn what scenic oportunites you might see.

Burt

Persoanally I'd choose starboard.

If you look at how the ship will sail in relation to the equator and the direction the sun travels you'll see that the starboard side will get the sun on the balconies in the afternoon and evening; port side will get it in the morning.

When you sail into Sydney you'll be on the wrong side for the Opera House, but large ships at the OPT always reverse in to the berth so when you go on to your balcony when it has docked you'll have that $million view.

I would go with starboard for a few reasons. You will have sun in the pm and could see a nice sunset. Also, on the port side, you have a smoking area above you on the pool deck and sometimes, when the windows are opened, you may get a whiff of cigarette smoke. Then there are the smokers on Deck 5 Port which could affect you in while docked.

But during two port calls at Sydney earlier this year, Solstice backed into Circular Quay... Those with cabins on the port side of the ship overlooked the cruise ship terminal, The Rocks area, and the Sydney Harbor Bridge... Those with cabins on the starboard side of the ship overlooked the Opera House across the quay...

In either case, the view was impressive with the other readily available... If Solstice backs into Circular Quay, the best place to view both is from the open deck area on Decks 15 or 16 forward...

So the secret is to make friends with the suite opposite ours and everyone is a winner :)

Absolutely

I would agree that it is about the sun as we have been caught out a few times asking and getting the wrong side. So we now book for the sun on the balcony

We are booked on this cruise. Very much looking forward to it. We booked a concierge cabin on the portside midship with a huge balcony. We didn't want the sun in the afternoon and would prefer some shade then. We spend lots of time on the balcony reading and I only have a few steps to get to the pool deck if I want sun. We did check and there is only carpet in the buffett above us so no noise thank goodness. Very excited about this cruise....never done anything like it.

Nicola

Hi Lynds

I see you are from Scotland....I was there 2 weeks ago to visit my parents who live in Largs. There are lots of people from all over going on this cruise. There is an active roll call that I hope that you can join. Sounds like a fun bunch of people.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1838103

See you on the ship!

Nicola

Archived