Iguassu Falls and Falkland Island questions

boulders

We are currently booked on the Zaandam, departing Rio on December 18, going around the horn to Valparaiso. We have an overnight (30 hours) in Buenos Aires. I'd like to go to Iguassu Falls. The ship has an overnight shore excursions from Buenos Aires. It's $1699 per person - and there's 4 of us. :eek: I could do my own for much less, but it would still be about $2500 for less than 24 hours, and I would be nervous the whole time about making it back to the ship - we're in port for 30 hours. Ideally, I could go there before Rio, but my teens would already be missing school and they would miss more with a pre-cruise excursion. Are the falls a not miss place? I live very close to Niagara Falls, so have seen my share of big waterfalls. The attraction is more for seeing some jungle. Can it be done in about a day? Is there an easier way to see some rain forest?

The cruise is supposed to stop in Puerto Madryn, but it has an asterisk saying it will stop in the Falklands, weather permitting. I know the Falklands is in an iffy port at the best of times, but I'm befuddled as to whether or not I should look at booking a shore excursion in one or the other or both. I suppose I could book a shore excursion in Puerto Madryn, and then hope for the best if we land in the Falklands. Any thoughts?

I'd like to go to Iguassu Falls. The ship has an overnight shore excursions from Buenos Aires. It's $1699 per person - and there's 4 of us. :eek: I could do my own for much less, but it would still be about $2500 for less than 24 hours, and I would be nervous the whole time about making it back to the ship - we're in port for 30 hours. Ideally, I could go there before Rio, but my teens would already be missing school and they would miss more with a pre-cruise excursion. Are the falls a not miss place? I live very close to Niagara Falls, so have seen my share of big waterfalls. The attraction is more for seeing some jungle. Can it be done in about a day? Is there an easier way to see some rain forest?

Yes, you can do the falls for much much less on your own, but a big part for a family is going to be visa/reciprocity fees for both sides (which you may already be planning to get---and it is a must to see both sides with sufficient time to see them well if you decide to do the trip).

Usually fares go up in high season, flying from Rio on Brazilian domestic airlines, but right now, I see online on GOL (www.voegol.com.br) for a December date a few days before your Dec. 18 cruise departure (you want a half day afternoon of arrival, a full day, and a half day morning before returning to Rio to do the basics; see both sides of the park, the Bird Park and take a boat ride under the falls), a one way fare (simply double it for RT) Rio/GIG to Foz/IGU of only R$193 (about U$96 or U$194RT, a bargain, believe me). Even the loooooooong overnight sleeper bus ride from Rio isn't that cheap. Note: These fares will rise as the date gets nearer. Book as soon as possible.

Hotels are quite reasonable (maybe around U$100/double room or less) in Foz do Iguacu and there are also many options in Puerto Iguazu. Bus transportation makes it easy to get around, to the park, and even over the border and back. There are also relatively inexpensive taxis.

As far as being worth it when you've seen Niagara, well, I have been to Niagara several times since I was a child, and it is nothing in comparison to the large/long extent of the "cataratas" in Iguacu. (We are planning to be at Victoria Falls next year, so can't comment on that in comparison yet.) Also, you get some very different perspectives. You can be right next (a few feet) to a powerful cascade of water, in the middle of the height of its fall. You can walk out into the river on a walkway on a plateau between one cascade and the next down, and get wet. You can take a dip in a shady little river below a small cascade. You can get a small, fast Zodiac boat ride under the falls (not anything like the Maid of the Mist experience). You can take the walkway over the tops of some of the falls, looking down hundreds of feet into the river.

As for your kids missing school, this would be more of an education than sitting in any classroom. Absolutely priceless. If the school fusses about absences, fight 'em on that basis. Include the dam at Itaipu as well then, a lesson in physics. Learn about the omnipresent coatis and the birds in the Bird Park, a lesson in natural history. Go to the Bertoni museum in Paraguay by boat excursion, an area history lesson. Get the teacher to prepare the homework for that period ahead of time and take it with you; do a little home schooling. And/or arrange for them to do a special assignment about the trip to present to their peers on the return.

But do note that the tropical forest in the park is probably not going to meet your imagined ideas of "Amazon jungle", but it is rain forest (it rains, it's a forest, it's hot, it has plants that like that) .

Note that Rio's Tijuca Forest (on top of the Corcovado mountain of which is the Christ statue) is also considered tropical forest, and is within the city limits.

Have a great trip.

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe the schools will bother us about the absences. My son will be in his last year of high school and will have exams soon after we get back, though. :eek: Yep, I'm a bad mom. But, I'm also a science teacher, so, he'll be getting some one on one tutoring while we're gone. ;)

We'll also have to get the visa and pay the reciprocity fees anyway, since the cruise departs from Rio and goes to several Argentinian ports. We're Canadian, and there's a Brazilian consulate nearby, so the fees are a little less, and I won't have to pay a visa service.

So, it sounds like 2 nights is a good length of time to do Iguassu Falls? Would you recommend hiring a guide or doing it on our own? I've used viator in the past and they have several reasonably priced options including hotel, airport pickup and guide.

So, it sounds like 2 nights is a good length of time to do Iguassu Falls? Would you recommend hiring a guide or doing it on our own?

It is very easy to get around on your own in the area, and IMO, a guide adds little value, just maybe the convenience of a private car waiting for you.

There is a local bus that leaves from a bus depot in the town of Foz that goes to the Brazil park entrance and Bird Park, passing the airport and a number of ohotels other than those in town.

Same situation on the Argentine side.

There is a local bus that goes from the bus depot in Brazil to the bus station in Puerto Iguazu, crossing the border.

The trip from one town to the park on the other side might take maybe 45 min., an hour max.

Thank you so much, Vida. We are going to Iguazu after our cruise. My flights were a lot more than your quotes but I still thought reasonable. My concern is getting to our B and B--Maricas -- in Foz. Can we get a taxi at the airport or have a prearranged service and if so, which one? We are concerned about safety. Our flight arrives around 6:30 pm if it is on time. We are doing round trip from Rio in December and are using TAM airline. Our costs don't seem to be as much as what the cruiseline charges for the two of us. We, too, live within 4 hours of Niagara Falls and are making the trip.

Can you elaborate on the boats that go under the falls. I do not like speed. I can handle getting wet, but I will be quite fearful if this boat goes like a fast motor boat. Are there calmer boat excursions?

Thank you, again for your help. It has been quite imformative.

Pearl

We thought Iguassu Falls was the highlight of our SA cruise. I have been to Niagara several times. Iguassu blows it away. When we were there the water was very strong over the falls. A few years earlier there had been a drought and there wasn't much water; but it still was impressive from the photos I saw of it.

I wouldn't spend the 30 hours at Iguassu, I would use it for Buenos Aires. Go to Iguassu before or after the cruise for a couple nights. You will be glad you did. We only went to the Argentine side and were very satisfied with that.

You can see lots of photos and even a short video of the falls in the review on our website, www.thepreismans.com.

I've convinced myself not to do the falls from Buenos Aires. I'd be too nervous about missing the ship the whole time. I wouldn't mind catching up with the ship at the next stop, which is Montevideo, the next day, but I can only find one flight a day to MVD and it lands around 6 pm. After Montevideo, the ship is headed to often-missed ports and Antarctica, so I might as well go home if I miss the ship. :eek:

It sounds like the falls should not be missed though. Since the ship doesn't board until the Wednesday, and leaves on the Thursday, I'll see if we can get there over the weekend and spend 2-3 nights at the falls.

Thanks everyone!

I've convinced myself not to do the falls from Buenos Aires. I'd be too nervous about missing the ship the whole time. I wouldn't mind catching up with the ship at the next stop, which is Montevideo, the next day, but I can only find one flight a day to MVD and it lands around 6 pm. After Montevideo, the ship is headed to often-missed ports and Antarctica, so I might as well go home if I miss the ship. :eek:

It sounds like the falls should not be missed though. Since the ship doesn't board until the Wednesday, and leaves on the Thursday, I'll see if we can get there over the weekend and spend 2-3 nights at the falls.

Thanks everyone!

I think you will be very glad you decided to go before the cruise.

Iguazu Falls are really easy to do on your own and you won't need a guide, either. There are lots of signs pointing you in the right direction and the boardwalks are easy to walk.

We flew to Iguazu after our cruise for 2 nights, using LAN airline ( very good service, very punctual, several flights a day) und immediately got a private car when exiting the arrival doors at the airport. There are booths where you can book a transfer and we were accompanied by an Emglish-speaking driver to a modern, clean car for the transfer. Forgot the price but it was very reasonable. It was possible to pay in Arg. Pesos or in US-$. There's a fee to pay when you enter the park, our driver did that and gave us the receipt ( they are valid for your whole stay). He also offered to drive us to the Brazilian side but we declined and were content to stay on the Argentinian side - it was an awesome experience. it's not to be missed!!!

I would strongly recommend to book an excursion at the Falklands, because the resources are limited and quite a lot of people were not able to book anything. If the ship hadn't been able to dock we wouldn't have had to pay. We dod the trip to Volunteer Point to see the penguins and it was an incredible experience.

Don't miss both!

. My concern is getting to our B and B--Maricas -- in Foz. Can we get a taxi at the airport or have a prearranged service and if so, which one? We are concerned about safety. Our flight arrives around 6:30 pm if it is on time.

You can either take the bus and walk a couple of blocks or take a taxi.

If you Google the address of Marica: R. Gregório Dotto, 118, Foz do Iguacu, you can see on the map a large area of gray to the left. At the lower left corner of the gray area, you can see printed the words Terminal de Transporte Urbano, the bus depot from which the bus to the park entrance and the other bus to the Argentine bus station (and on to the park on that side with another bus) depart. iirc the bus runs along Av. Republica Argentina (just below the location of your B&B) at that point (so no need to go all the way to the depot to get it, just pick it up along the street--the B&B can tell you exactly where).

Safety should not really be a concern in Foz, as in many smaller places in Brazil where the differences in economic status are not so wide, nor so closely side-by-side. But do take the usual precautions of being vigilant about your surroundings, not flashing valuables, and staying out of isolated/deserted city areas.

Can you elaborate on the boats that go under the falls. I do not like speed. I can handle getting wet, but I will be quite fearful if this boat goes like a fast motor boat. Are there calmer boat excursions?

Google "Zodiac", the type of boat. They do go fast, but it is a large Zodiac (maybe 4 people across) and stable. It is designed to be a thrill ride. There may be something calmer starting from the Argentine side, but I am not well enough informed to advise on this; I do know that other boat trips run from there.

For the Falklands, if you have a specific tour you want to take (eg, Bluff Cove, Volunteer Point, etc), then I would book it in advance. If the ship can't stop due to the weather, then the tour would be cancelled automatically. I doubt if there would be any charges, but you can confirm with the ship or tour operator.

Or, if you only want to see the capital, Stanley, or the local penguin colony at Gypsy Cove, you can leave that till you arrive without any problems.

By the way, I wouldn't say the port is "iffy". I think some boats manage to dock every time. Other ships have problems because they don't want to enter the more sheltered inner harbour or moor at the jetty because of cost.

Enjoy your trip!

There may be something calmer starting from the Argentine side, but I am not well enough informed to advise on this; I do know that other boat trips run from there.

Exactly the same boats from the Argentinian side.

It's not necessary to take this ride in order to enjoy these amazing falls. The walkways get really close on both sides and are extensive on the Argentinian side. They must have built them when the water level was low.

Exactly the same boats from the Argentinian side.

What about the trip to San Martin island? Short and calm, but gets you on the river. Also a swim iirc.

Also here is a small map of the trails over a photo of the area.

http://www.interhabit.com/interhabit/indexnotes.asp?ID=98

The top dotted red line in the river is the San Martin boat trip.

The lower one is the one under the falls.

For the Falklands, if you have a specific tour you want to take (eg, Bluff Cove, Volunteer Point, etc), then I would book it in advance. If the ship can't stop due to the weather, then the tour would be cancelled automatically. I doubt if there would be any charges, but you can confirm with the ship or tour operator.

Or, if you only want to see the capital, Stanley, or the local penguin colony at Gypsy Cove, you can leave that till you arrive without any problems.

By the way, I wouldn't say the port is "iffy". I think some boats manage to dock every time. Other ships have problems because they don't want to enter the more sheltered inner harbour or moor at the jetty because of cost.

Enjoy your trip!

Unfortunately, HAL's itinerary lists Puerto Madryn as the port stop, with an asterisk that says Falklands, weather permitting. So, they're being very wimpy about it. There's two other ships :eek: that are scheduled to be in Stanley the same day, one Silverseas and one Crystal. So, it may be difficult finding a private tour with no promise that the ship will even attempt to arrive. :cool:

Thanks for the good wishes.

Don't miss Iguazu Falls! We spent two nights and stayed at the Sheraton, which I would highly recommend and get a room with a view of the falls. We did it on our own before our cruise out of Sao Paulo, Brazil. We flew to BA and then the short flight to the falls. The first day we walked the Argentina side, which is easily done and awesome. The second day we took a cab to the Brazil side and took a helicopter tour of the falls, another awesome! if you go to the Brazil side you will have to have a visa!

Quote: 'As for your kids missing school, this would be more of an education than sitting in any classroom'.

I agree with all aspects of this post - have been there and done it on my own - for next to nothing $ .

no comparison to Niagara -

took my children out of bi-lingual school, later immersion programs during their entire schooling until high school graduation; skiing in the Rockies 2 weeks and 6 weeks annually for Europe trips. (Never during school holidays!) Both have now graduate degrees and are highly successful in leadership positions. Though the Canadian School system my kids attended is far superior to the American, (but inferior to the European) they still do get much more out of a South America trip than by attending class.

Porto Madryn = best to rent a car and go out on your own to maximize time with the Penguins.

Falklands / Stanley - unless you have many, many hours in this TENDER port, the time is usually too short to do a major excursion - incl. seal, sea lions and

King ? Penguin colonies or the battle fields.

Puerto Madryn is by FAR the very best place to see the Penguins ....

wishing you a wonderful cruise .....

What about the trip to San Martin island? Short and calm, but gets you on the river. Also a swim iirc.

Also here is a small map of the trails over a photo of the area.

http://www.interhabit.com/interhabit/indexnotes.asp?ID=98

The top dotted red line in the river is the San Martin boat trip.

The lower one is the one under the falls.

Vida, we were there at extremely high water and San Martin Island was closed.

Don't miss Iguazu Falls! We spent two nights and stayed at the Sheraton, which I would highly recommend and get a room with a view of the falls. ..... if you go to the Brazil side you will have to have a visa!

We stayed in the Hotel St. George in downtown Puerto Iguazu and saved loads of money that way.

As to the visa, it depends on your nationality. Americans, Australians and Canadians need one.

we did the falls post trip on our own. flew from BA to the falls, arranged a private guide for the day (Marcello or Edir from viator.com) who picked us up at the airport, drove to the Brazil side of the falls, toured it all day, onto 3 corners of the river (3 countries merge here), the dam, and dinner in Foz before heading back to the Sheraton. We die the Argentina side on our own in 1 day before leaving for the airport at 3:30 pm. What a great trip!:D

When Mike and I went, we stayed at the Sheraton within the park on the Argentine side. It was perfect because all we had to do was walk out the door and take the path down to the falls. Everything is well marked and you can't get lost. It's perfectly safe, and I went by myself when Mike was doing the Zodiak boat under the falls. BTW, Mike has a picture of the boats that are used for the excursion on our website.

Quote:

Puerto Madryn is by FAR the very best place to see the Penguins ....

sorry have to disagree here. The Falklands were far superior although I did enjoy our trip in Puerto Madryn In fact the Falklands was my favourite stop on the whole 30 day cruise this year We were lucky in that the weather was superb Nothing could beat walking down onto the beach and seen nothing but penguins, I was the first one there except for the warden who was the wife of our driver. We took the Patrick Watts tour and it was superb, we did book it over a year in advance though. Also loved hearing about the war first hand being an expat Brit who was glued to the TV during the war. Didn't do the Falls, we always have to have a reason to return to a country

Enjoy your cruise, ours was amazing

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

After many hours scouring various websites looking for airfare, and finding that it was going to cost above 5K more than what HAL had given me, I had given up and accepted that we wouldn't be able to get to Iguassu/Iguazu. We would have to accept HAL's air reservations that had us on a 30 hour journey to get to the ship the day before sailing in Rio. :eek::( But then, I checked Orbitz yesterday and found a good deal that included 2 nights in Iguassu at the beginning of the trip, with good connections and not too long of a journey there and back. I also got a good deal on Iguassu Resort with the booking. I was also able to upgrade us on the way down from Dulles to Economy Plus on United for not too much more. So here we go!

I really took everyone's advice to heart. I've reserved private tours in both Stanley and Puerto Madryn. I'm really hoping to get to Stanley as my ancestry is completely from the UK.

Now I'm eyeing the Macuco Safari in Iguassu! Anyone done this? Any other recommendations of must do's in Iguassu?

But then, I checked Orbitz yesterday and found a good deal that included 2 nights in Iguassu at the beginning of the trip, with good connections and not too long of a journey there and back. I also got a good deal on Iguassu Resort with the booking. I was also able to upgrade us on the way down from Dulles to Economy Plus on United for not too much more. So here we go!

Not sure why all the hassle. I'm seeing some flights on GOL today for a future date for about U$250 RT Rio-Foz do Iguacu-Rio.

The resort is off the road from the town to the park, between the town and the airport. They can call a taxi for you or tell you how to flag down the bus to the park and/or where to connect with the town-to-town bus to Argentina.

Now I'm eyeing the Macuco Safari in Iguassu! Anyone done this? Any other recommendations of must do's in Iguassu?

the towns (note spelling in appropriate languages):

Foz do Iguacu

Puerto Iguazu

The falls themselves are referred to as the "cataratas".

It's fun, the Macuco Safari. Be prepared to get very wet (protect any documents/cameras in plastic and take a change of clothes) but it should be hot and so, pleasant. It's in a big Zodiac with rows of seats, and goes under one of the falls multiple times. iirc, the getting there (to the dock) part, in a jeep-like vehicle through the jungle, with a short optional (you can stay at the jeep) walk to some small falls, is a time waster, IMO.

things to do to fill a full day and 2 half days (with travel the other halves):

the Brazilian side of the park

the Bird Park just outside the Brazilian entrance

both upper and lower trails on the Argentine side

swim or cool your feet in the river on the Argentine side

watch coatis (coati-mundi) and try not to let them steal your popscicles

Have fun.

Iguazu Forest offers a half day "eco adventure" that includes both a zip line and rappelling down the side of a waterfall....phenomenal experience.

http://www.iguazuforest.com/

Iguazu Jungle is the Argentine version of the Zodiac under the falls....My daughter who has done both the Maid of the Mist at Niagra and the Iguazu Jungle Adventure said there is no comparison. The Zodiac comes much closer and you will get a lot wetter.

http://www.iguazujungle.com/eng/

Archived