Bit of a Blog - M/S Chardonnay - Cote d'Azur to Paris - August 1st 2013

NorbertsNiece

We had yet another fabulous meal in Paris this lunchtime. Laduree, which is on Champs Elysees. It's a world renowned tearoom and restaurant. You can have brunch or lunch, or dinner there. They also sell the most fabulous macaroons. Bookings recommended; we hadn't reserved and didn't have to wait long but the queues did become quite long, especially for just the macaroon purchase..... pics to follow!!

We meet up with a cousin from England who had the foresight to marry a Frenchman and lives in the capital. We now have a couple of hours to spare before dinner with the whole group! The diet starts tomorrow!

Thanks for an excellent blog Linda.

Would you do another river cruise?

Thanks for an excellent blog Linda.

Would you do another river cruise?

Will sort the remainder of the pics out when I get back home..... after lunch tomorrow then!

That's a good question. I'm an itinerary important kind of gal and this trip was more to do with my folks than anything else. I absolutely loved meting the rest of the group and staff on board.... such an eclectic bunch of people!! We said goodbye after our group dinner this evening.... I took food pics though heaven knows why.... was not a good meal unfortunately..... lots of hugs and promises to keep in touch.... do hope we do as I would sail with any of them again! I enjoyed seeing parts of France I've not previously visited so that's another tick. I like that many excursions are included.

Now the cons. I really don't like being organised and told when to eat, what to eat (however good it is!) and where to eat.... the food on board was wonderful and they took real good care of me... BUT.... I do prefer the freedom afforded by the big ships of dining when I'm ready, even in room if I want. I could have spent all day in Giverny.... in Beaune.... in Avignon... the little bites of these places left me wanting more which I guess is a good thing but being grouped meant that we all stuck together and went with each other most of the time. As lunch was served on board we went back for lunch each day. Today for example I wish I could have had lunch in Giverny and stayed longer instead of being taken back to Paris.

It's meant to be a cruise line for experienced travellers I believe..... we were herded as though we were novices. Olivia worked arduously to meet her commitments however I felt some of the itinerary was far too intense in an effort to cover as much ground as possible. There was no choice. I'm used to researching and deciding for myself what I want to see and do and am happy to pay for the excursions I really want to do having read the information available.

Versailles was a shambles and should never have been offered. I need to look at how they can justify charging $80 I believe.... need to look up the paperwork. The guide was awesome but the conditions of the tour untenable.

I might do a river cruise again inland China say, or India..... but I doubt I could ever afford to. I need to look at the prices of other companies I guess.... MS Chardonnay is small in comparison to other vessels....we were 39....

OK. I'm confused. One glass of kir and a glass of red house. Maybe I should try really going solo..... stay off CC..... not make friends beforehand.... not go with anyone I know and then see how I like it. Nah. I'll go where the wind takes me and if it's on a river somewhere, hopefully exotic, then so be it.

Dave.

Laduree has little Kiosks at Air France terminal 2 if folks don't have the opportunity to get to the main shop there is still the opportunity to try them on the way home. Great blog. Thanks for sharing

Found the Laduree outlet at the airport (Terminal 2A) and bought some as a goodbye present to give to Alice.... she was delighted!

Right.

I'm home. The laundry is on. My car is dead.... waiting on the garage to come and check out the battery....so I've uploaded all my pics and am going to have a posting fest until they get here.

Picking up where I left off....

Here is the basket with all the bread we brought back from our expedition in Lyon.

IMG_2217.jpg

Wine list from the Chardonnay

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

The view I had when sat writing up my blog

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

En route to Paris we stop at Beaune.

This area was used to wash clothes....

IMG_2266.jpg

Inside the pauper's hospital.... the roof is simply stunning

IMG_2271.jpg

The sick were often 2/3 to a bed.... non gender specific once upon a time.....

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

Beaune is a very pretty town with a carousel (of course)

IMG_2277.jpg

Thanks again for continuing on with your postings. One of the reasons we reserved a French river cruise is for the wines. We have been to many wine tastings :D (loved the ones in New Zealand & Australia!) & look forward to being educated on the french ones.

Thanks for posting the wine list. Although we are not cruising with the same company you did, it does give us an idea of what to expect. Hope your car gets charged up soon.

-Rose

The Novotel Eiffel Tower..... really unusual box design....

IMG_2285.jpg

My room

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

The view from my bedroom.... and yes it is.....

IMG_2431.jpg

We eat at Brasserie Lipp.... forget to photograph menu....sorry.... they do fabulous fish.... well fabulous everything really

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

IMG_2324.jpg

I think this is the chapel ceiling.... I was unable to hear anything said about it but managed to elbow my way through to get the pic....

IMG_2327.jpg

I get to a window to get some fresh air. As we are inside we miss the fountain displays.

IMG_2337.jpg

The Hall of Mirrors. This image disappoints me most

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

I have pictures of beds.... ceilings... rooms.... but not much in the way of explanation I'm afraid.

Thanks again for continuing on with your postings. One of the reasons we reserved a French river cruise is for the wines. We have been to many wine tastings :D (loved the ones in New Zealand & Australia!) & look forward to being educated on the french ones.

Thanks for posting the wine list. Although we are not cruising with the same company you did, it does give us an idea of what to expect. Hope your car gets charged up soon.

-Rose

Thanks Rose..... still waiting for the car to be sorted.... I'm blogged out for the moment.... 2nd load of laundry is on.... more food and Giverny to come....

I mentioned in an earlier note that I'm planning on taking this trip with GCT in June/July 2015. I have heard the dining room is very crowded. Did it seem that way to you?

Roger

Hi Roger,

Not at all.... mind you we were 39 + Olivia and on 2 nights + a captain. Free seating so you could sit where you liked each meal.... means you get to speak to different people.... at least that's the idea!! Friendships get made during dining time :D

Loved your pictures and following along. I just did a very similar itinerary with Avalon (Scenery) and loved it.

I, too, share your dislike of being herded about and being told when to eat (my friend and I were actually scolded by a traveling TA for being late to a dinner because we were enthralled by going through our first lock).

Once we got to Paris, we essentially "ditched" the rest of the group and did our own thing - including going to Versailles on our own. Much cheaper and far more enjoyable. We did a 90-minute guided tour of the Queen's Apartments which takes you to rooms not normally open to the public. It was quite hot, so we chose not to see any of the rest of the interior of the Palace and went straight to the gardens. We were able to walk to the Hamlet and enjoy the vast gardens.

Versailles is huge! I don't know how it could be done in less than 6 hours (we arrived at 9:15 and didn't leave until almost 3 while spending next to no time inside. Nor did we see the Grand or Petit Trianon). But it's definitely easy to do for less than $80USD !!:D

Loved your pictures and following along. I just did a very similar itinerary with Avalon (Scenery) and loved it.

I, too, share your dislike of being herded about and being told when to eat (my friend and I were actually scolded by a traveling TA for being late to a dinner because we were enthralled by going through our first lock).

Once we got to Paris, we essentially "ditched" the rest of the group and did our own thing - including going to Versailles on our own. Much cheaper and far more enjoyable. We did a 90-minute guided tour of the Queen's Apartments which takes you to rooms not normally open to the public. It was quite hot, so we chose not to see any of the rest of the interior of the Palace and went straight to the gardens. We were able to walk to the Hamlet and enjoy the vast gardens.

Versailles is huge! I don't know how it could be done in less than 6 hours (we arrived at 9:15 and didn't leave until almost 3 while spending next to no time inside. Nor did we see the Grand or Petit Trianon). But it's definitely easy to do for less than $80USD !!:D

I so appreciate your input. I've written to GCT with regards to my Versailles thoughts and am awaiting their response.

I did excuse myself during a meal or two to go up on deck to take photos... I wasn't alone... my companions certainly didn't object.

Well, $80 is less than what Vantage wants to charge $129:eek:!

I think you got a good tour doing it on your own & even if it was just the gardens - so much to see is right. As we saw Versailles back in 1974 we may pass on that optional tour. I'm interested in the Louve tour as we missed that on our '74 trip.

Some small group tours are worth it & some are not. We really liked our private tour of the Vatican (just 4 of us) 10 yrs ago. The tour guide was well versed in tile paintings which there are so many of at the Vatican. There was huge crowds, but we didn't feel crushed. We learned so much and got some decent pictures.

-Rose

$129?! Wow, that's crazy! If I remember correctly, Avalon's fee for the 1/2 day tour to Versailles was about $80. We did it for the price of the Museum Pass (we were in Paris an additional 4 days so had other museums on our list). The Queen's Apartment's tour was an additional 7 Euros; while the train ticket to Versailles was less than 8 Euros (round trip). I think I got an especially good deal! :D

Once again you've done a wonderful job of taking us along on a cruise! The pictures were great and so clear - what kind of camera are you using?

Thanks so much for letting us follow you on this cruise.

It's nothing special..... a Canon IXUS 8 x optical zoom.

Time for some more pix....

We ate that Saturday evening at a lovely restaurant a short walk from the hotel

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

Have become quite a fan of Kir..... we ate from the 39 Euros set menu...

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece