Bit of a Blog - M/S Chardonnay - Cote d'Azur to Paris - August 1st 2013

NorbertsNiece

Linda, you mention Mosquitos. Are you finding a lot of Mosquitos on the river? Are they preventing you from sitting out on the outside decks/terrace? We leave in 2.5 wks for our south of France river cruise and wonder if I should pack bug spray?

Thanks. Love following your trip report

As Patty said, I have Deet with me..... just have to use it! Lol.

Thanks for the positive comments. More than happy to answer questions. Very disappointed that the bandwidth onboard prevents pics being uploaded.

I'm really enjoying your blog. I just returned from GCT's Paris to Normandy cruise and plan on book the Provence trip in 2015. I did this trip in 2003 on GCT's 120 passenger ship M/S Ravel which they no longer own. I'm looking forward to the smaller ship.

Roger

Oh Linda,

This is so different from your RCCL cruises and I can't wait to hear all about it. Give us lots of detail about the river boat you are on. All the stops along the way should be like nothing I have seen since all we saw of France was Paris. Keep the blog coming.

Good evening.... just recovering from the Captain's welcome drinks and dinner....quite unlike anything I've experienced on RCCL. Very low key, some have dressed up most are smart casual. Lovely glass of champagne to start then little hors d'oeuvres followed by a 5 course meal.... all very delicious.

We sailed away earlier, 6pm, from Arles. Had a proper muster at sailaway, siren, lifejackets checked by the captain himself. A few people were caught out in the shower and I believe one gent didn't make it at all.... headed towards Avignon where we will tie up shortly.

Had a wonderful morning in Arles with a tour guide as part of the inclusive package. A really lovely town with 45,000 inhabitants but millions of visitors annually; and I can see why. The Roman influence is pervasive, with an Amphitheatre and constant reminders throughout the town of previous occupants..... being on the Rhone was a key influence for the popularity of the town so many centuries ago and an obvious route for people and goods to move north.

Van Gogh lived here and reminders of some of the works that were painted during his time in Arles are posted at those venues. The Hospital Gardens in particular were especially significant..... where he spent time after slicing off part of his ear!

I've managed to start uploading pics to photobucket....sssshhhhh..... one at a time so the process is arduous. We're pulling in to Avignon now so I want to head up to the sun deck to observe..... huge illuminated ferris wheel.....

Need to share the afternoon's excursion with you too!!!

We've pulled alongside another vessel to tie up for the night.... doesn't appear to be anything nearby to walk to..... seems to be city walls across the road. When we debark we just leave our room key (the old fashioned type!) on the appropriate hook at the reception desk. They know we are all back when the key has been taken back. Simples. There is a hand wash station near reception and one by the dining room.

Back to this afternoon. Before lunch we were treated to a Pastis and a brief talk about Provencal herbs. I tasted the Pastis.... :confused:

The optional afternoon excursion was to a Camargue Bull Farm and I highly recommend it. The details are in my room and when I post the pics I'll include their website info. Briefly, the ranch is family run; father, mother, son, daughter-in-law, 9 year old grandson and a handful of 'Guardians' / cowboys. They breed the distinctive white Camargue horses and also grow red rice. Their main claim to fame however is the 500 odd head of cattle they breed. I need to assert that the animals are not bred for eating or killing in the bull ring. They are used in the ring as opponents to a human foe who has retrieve a number of coloured ribbons from the bull's head / horns.

We are taken to the fields on the back of a hay wagon.... a first for me! The bulls are separated from the cows by a number of fields and a river... that doesn't mean they are safe as the 'scent' travels and they have been known to defeat all odds in order to make their rendezvous!

We are treated to a display of herding by the riders, including the 9 year old who showed remarkable expertise. I'll explain more when I can post the pics.

Afterwards we had a glass of wine and some homemade tapenade and sun dried tomatoes.... yum.

I can highly recommend this excursion. Only 7 of us took it which is a big shame. I really think they need to push it to the guests a bit harder. Estelle, the daughter-in-law, speaks excellent English and was our guide. As well as running the ranch they hold events in their huge barn which includes musical gypsy entertainment.

Flower market pics

IMG_1848.jpg

Just love the colours used for this cafe

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

What's considered to be an English breakfast..... can't quite see a UK roadside cafe serving viennoiseries.....

IMG_1852.jpg

Could not resist the blueberries....

IMG_1853.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Chick pea pancake

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

Nice sea front

Erm..... I just noticed something.... or someone.... erm..... deleted the image for now..... hadn't realised there was an apparently topless female!!

IMG_1858.jpg

Galeries Lafayette..... never ceases to amuse me that dogs are welcome in stores in France....

IMG_1859.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

IMG_1872.jpg

Inside the chapel :

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

The grave of Lottie Tipton. He came ashore on the 15th August 1944 and died the same day; a bullet took some of his ear away but he insisted in continuing on with his best buddy. The 2 of them took out 3 out of 4 enemy machine gun emplacements whilst the rest of the battalion kept cover. The 4th site flew a white flag..... despite his experience the 22 year old stood up.... and was killed. Landing on his friend; this friend single handedly took out those who had killed his buddy. Audie Murphy by name; US readers will know who that is. Lottie was awarded 2 purple hearts. August 15th continues to be celebrated in France as their 'D' day.

IMG_1878.jpg

So.

Let's talk noise.

Am in my room and we are under way.... will dock in Viviers in an hour or so....

I thought the engine sound in my room was bad enough, tolerable though. But we are under way and I feel like the Northern Line is running under my bed.... that's the London Underground for the US readers.... I have no idea if there is a warning on this location that there is noise involved.... room #2... I have just been offered to sleep in #1 or #3 which are vacant but they are in the same area. Tomorrow night we will be sailing all night.... I may go to sleep in the library..... peaceful as anything in there....

I'd appreciate it if anyone reading this can see what warnings are posted about noise in this area.... I didn't make the booking myself and what with my foot hurting like anything (I have a blister the size of a tartelette on the bite I picked up on the first night on board.... will visit a pharmacy first thing in the morning) I am currently feeling very hard done by.

Oh deep joy...... the hacking cough noise has subsided to a quivering rattle..... we are either in another lock or we are pulling in for the night.

Time to post some more pics I think.