Bit of a Blog - M/S Chardonnay - Cote d'Azur to Paris - August 1st 2013

NorbertsNiece

Pics from the visit to the Camargue Bull Farm. Their website is : http://www.manadelaurent.com/

IMG_1957.jpg

9 year old Paul on 10 year old Phoenix

IMG_1959.jpg

Very specific style of stirrup and saddle

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

They also breed the renowned white Camargue horses. As the ground is very marshy they are not shod.

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

Estelle

IMG_1966.jpg

Patrick

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

They have a few bulls who wear bells..... they are not suitable to work in the ring but are bright enough to respond to herding and others will follow them....

IMG_1970.jpg

Fabulous barn where events are held

IMG_1975.jpg

Diva

IMG_1977.jpg

It was a lock.

We're back to extreme white knuckle ride noise again.

If someone can tell me how to record sound on a Nokia Lumia 800 I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Im not familiar with that phone,but can you just video record and that will pick up the sound?

The family

IMG_1980.jpg

Not currently able to upload any more pics as I appear to have reached my upload limit.....

So..... as I'm not going to sleep tonight I will tell you about today.

Avignon.

Breakfast special this morning was French toast.... mine was made with GF bread and was delicious!

The Avignon walls are high and extremely thick. I don't have a pic of our guide as I am sticking with the folks and they simply cannot keep up. We have our 'whispers' in..... the guide has a mike and we have earpieces and wear a battery pack. He is speaking very fast and I can barely understand what he is saying anyway. We do catch up with them at one point but then lose them again. We have a map of the route and stop to rest every so often.

We reach the square where the main 'Popes Palace' is and arrive before the others who have seen other sites en route. I have some lovely pics of what we did see and look forward to sharing them with you. We don't go into the Palace, way too many steps. Instead we take the tourist train for 7 euros and enjoy the views and the drive around the narrow streets with English commentary.

The lovely staff at the Mercure Hotel in the town centre called a cab for us so we had a stress free ride back to Chardonnay.

I don't know how to describe the excursion to the quarry this afternoon. Olivia made a deliberate attempt to not tell us too much so as not to spoil the impact of the place. In so doing she lost passengers. Imagine a space bigger than you would expect would be needed for a theatre with a stage, orchestra, seating on various levels, dressing rooms etc..... then quadruple it in all directions. You are in a quarry; covered. Dark. Cold. Bring a sweater. Walls are sheer though not necessarily even. The ground is flat but not necessarily even. There are long wide corridors and large chunks of stone dissect different areas.

On all surfaces images are projected.....some still, some moving. Sound is introduced so now more senses are in play. The images are from Chagall, Renoir, Monet and others. You are in the pictures. Astonishing. If you get the chance to do this excursion grab it. http://www.carrieres-lumieres.com/

Found out that reaching my upload limit meant I couldn't post this either. Went to reception in my PJs to get a new log in code..... so here I am!

Edited by NorbertsNiece

So.

I'd appreciate it if anyone reading this can see what warnings are posted about noise in this area.... I didn't make the booking myself and what with my foot hurting like anything (I have a blister the size of a tartelette on the bite I picked up on the first night on board.... will visit a pharmacy first thing in the morning) I am currently feeling very hard done by.

not having much luck with reviews at all. I'll keep looking!

I always read your reviews, but I have to comment this time. I'm doing my first river cruise next year and I'm very excited, but there's a shortage of good reviews and information. Though I'm sailing on Avalon, this gives me an idea of the ships and all...thank you so much....

So.

Let's talk noise.

Am in my room and we are under way.... will dock in Viviers in an hour or so....

I thought the engine sound in my room was bad enough, tolerable though. But we are under way and I feel like the Northern Line is running under my bed.... that's the London Underground for the US readers.... I have no idea if there is a warning on this location that there is noise involved.... room #2... I have just been offered to sleep in #1 or #3 which are vacant but they are in the same area. Tomorrow night we will be sailing all night.... I may go to sleep in the library..... peaceful as anything in there....

I'd appreciate it if anyone reading this can see what warnings are posted about noise in this area.... I didn't make the booking myself and what with my foot hurting like anything (I have a blister the size of a tartelette on the bite I picked up on the first night on board.... will visit a pharmacy first thing in the morning) I am currently feeling very hard done by.

Oh deep joy...... the hacking cough noise has subsided to a quivering rattle..... we are either in another lock or we are pulling in for the night.

Time to post some more pics I think.

Aw, I hope you start to enjoy it more :-)

Aw, I hope you start to enjoy it more :-)

Hey :D and a hi to all my other virtual and real friends!

Saw a pharmacist in Viviers first thing:o this morning..... he popped the blister right there in the shop in full view of the public.... lovely guy... dressed it, sold me more dressing and disinfectant and some antihistamine!! Came back to ship and went back to bed!!! Time for lunch!

We have been stuck at a lock for about 4 hours.

Another boat hit the gates in there and caused damage..... we are heading back towards a berthing place... not sure of name of town..... we are due to eat with different families tonight so we will be bussed to the pick up location. We will be sleeping on board and hopefully when we get back tonight we will be able to traverse the lock and continue up the Rhone.

Internet very sporadic otherwise would have posted more.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Monn A; we took this cruise on Avalon and loved it. We also took the one from Paris to Normandy right before and thought both were terrific!

Avalon ships are lovely and Paris and the Provence--well, what's not to love!

We went in September.

Hi NN: I'm really enjoying your comments and photos. I've taken another GCT cruise on a ship similar to yours, and never heard any comments about noise, I do feel bad for you! I have another GCT cruise booked for France this year, and some of the things you've mentioned have really, really surprised me. For example, no wine is included with dinner? And a choice of only 2 entrees for dinner? Neither would be a deal breaker for me but these issues still surprise me. One thing I do not like about Grand Circle is the fact they only market to Americans...I enjoy more variety of folks. Wish you would be on my cruise! Your pics are wonderful...

2 glasses of wine are included with dinner, red or white house.... imo not bad. Not sure about lunch.. will find out....

When we debarked in Viviers this morning we were tied up alongside an AMA cruise boat. Much bigger than us.... 140 passengers I believe. We had to walk through their lobby.... very swish. Their sundeck was also very smart. Was going to take pics of them on my return from the pharmacy and mini tour but they had gone by the time I got back!

This afternoon we were treated to a cookery class by our wonderful Executive Chef. Crepes suzette..... the smell was divine. Olivia also hosted a french language class. I passed on that.

We had a wonderful meal with a host family this evening; Robert, Florence, Valentin, Margaux and Juliette. He is a chef in a school and she works in Sports Administration. A lovely young couple with a sweet family.... another son was absent. They fed us extremely well and we had a wonderful evening. There were 10 of us from Chardonnay so no small feat! I drank a 'kir' and a glass of wine and rather unfortunately sang a few cockney songs on the way back in the coach...... sigh....

Provence, the sister ship to Chardonnay, was in Tournan; stranded because of the lock closure but travelling south..... there are other boats similarly affected in both directions. Supplies for Chardonnay were due to be delivered in Tournon and at the time of writing (midnight ish) the delivery driver is still lost in the wilds of France.... we got lost ourselves coming back this evening....

We were told on the coach coming back that the lock will not be repaired over night. The plan is for us to board a coach around 1015 in the morning, travel 90 minutes to Lyon, be treated to lunch in a restaurant in Lyon then walk and coach tour Lyon before meeting the boat wherever...... could be another 90 minutes schlep back. It took us 90 minutes to get back here from Tournon so I'm thinking the time factor is a conservative guess.

I've decided I need a 'sea day' and will have the boat all to myself as a passenger. Catch up on sleep, read a book etc. If I can will upload all the pics to date..... though I'm not optimistic.

Thanks for all the views!! My goodness.

Will post the laundry prices in due course.... is there anything else you'd like me to find out?

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Monn A; we took this cruise on Avalon and loved it. We also took the one from Paris to Normandy right before and thought both were terrific!

We went in September.

We are planning on doing both cruises next year with Scenic - so pleased to hear that enjoyed them. There haven't been many reviews on these itineraries yet.

Also NN I am enjoying your blog and especially your photos very much. Sorry about the mosquito bite - mosquitos are very partial to me so thanks for the warning - I will bring the Deet.

Hope the lock is fixed and you are on your way by now.

We went in September.

Thank you that's good to know...I'm travel in September too...my route is on the Danube...

One of my favourites! Pina Colada!

IMG_1981.jpg

I went up on deck.... I always thought you couldn't speak to the driver!!

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

Alice with Captain Massio (aka Richard Gere by the crew!)

IMG_1989.jpg

Hors d'oeuvres tonight

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I am currently sat in the conservatory. The only other people on board are crew. Peace and quiet. Sitting at the desk watching the Rhone flow by, glittering sun bouncing off the gentle current. No other vessel in sight. Just lovely. The restaurant manager has been in for a chat. I will eat what the crew eat for lunch.... broccoli soup, chicken salad and and sorbet. Perfect.

Here's a last pic from Saturday.

IMG_2011.jpg

I just posted this on the River Cruises main board.

I'm currently on MS Chardonnay. The lock between Avignon and Tournon has been struck and 2 vessels are stuck inside. One is a cargo vessel and the other is an AMA boat. A part to fix the hydraulics is coming from Marseille. We have been stationery since lunch time yesterday when we arrived at the lock to head north. We relocated to Cruas and are currently sitting it out. All the other pax have gone on a coach ride and tour to Lyon. I have no idea whether the Pax on the AMA vessel are still on board or whether they have been able to re-locate.