Courtyard-South Boston - OK?

Reenwad

I reserved a room at the Courtyard-South Boston in the Dorchseter area, then was reading on TripAdvisor:

Dorchester is known for being rough--the movie "The Departed" provides a grim view of the 'hood, but there's a lot to love about Dorchester. Its diversity translates into wonderful restaurants along "Dot" (Dorchester) Ave. You'll find Indian, Irish, Vietnamese...just about every type of food you'd want. The JFK / UMass T stop has a free shuttle out to the university and JFK Library. There's a Harborwalk there that connects all the way up to Castle Island. Dorchester has its share of Irish pubs, too. At the Savin Hill stop, you'll find Savin Kitchen and the Harp and Bard, both not too far from the T stop.

Should I find something else? I'll be traveling with my 73 year old mom and a friend of hers. Anyone been to this hotel and know if it's safe?:o

It wouldn't be my choice either. I was curious about Boyne City, so I googled your home town and found it is in northern Michigan with a population under 4000. No offense, but you might not be ready for Dorchester.

Give us more details. Three people including two seniors. What exact date do you need a room? What is your budget including tax? What do you want to do in Boston? Do you have any special requirements or restrictions?

If Hotwire has any good choices for your date, are you prepared to make a decision and prepay a hotel?

Just out of curiosity, what led you to pick the Courtyard-south?

I see you're on the Brilliance on Sept 22- I am sailing on her on Aug 31 for her TA back to Boston.

Rates are crazy for Sept 21. However, on aa.com I found an exclusive desl for Embassy Suites at the airport for $186 + tax which is about $213. If you can get rid of the Courtyard South, I'd book this hotel in a heartbeat.

It almost on the airport property, within walking distance to the T, and only one or two stops to downtown. The hotel has an airport shuttle and this hotel is actually pretty close to the pier - probably about a $25 cab ride. Free breakfast. Lots of cruisers have stayed here and been satisfied. Please check it out.

Here is the situation:

#1 - Born and raised in metro Detroit, I think I can handle Dorchester. :o

#2 - Mom is claustrophobic, so no elevators. :(

#3 - Mom and her friend have mobility issues, so no walking long distances.

#4 - I guess something is going on that weekend, so rates are really high

#5 - Need a room on Saturday night, 9/21/13

#6 - Yes, I would use Hotwire or Priceline and prepay.

I chose that hotel because it was only $250 for the night, and they only have 6 floors, and they told me I could get a room on the ground floor.

Don't know the area at all, not sure what we're gonna do. Maybe visit Salem, I'd like to check out the Faneuil Market. Not sure what else we can do with the mobility issues.....HELP?

Between the mobility issues and the claustrophobia, you have many more challenges for this trip. You've found a hotel that offers a first floor room, even if it is in Dorchester. But how are you going to get this mobility impaired group around? Cabs are a possibility, but you could end up stranded somewhere standing around waiting to get a cab. There are going to be almost no in town Boston hotels that have first floor rooms. Elevators are the norm for every property. How is your mom going to handle the elevators on the ship?

Have you considered renting a car and staying outside the city? Look at Peabody Ma where there is a selection of hotels. From the airport this is an easy drive up route 1A. This would give you access to Salem. You can also drive up route 128 to Gloucester and Rockport and into Essex for a super casual seafood dinner at Woodman's.

Early Sunday morning you can come back into the city and drive around to see the sights when the city is super quiet and there is no traffic. If you pick the right rental car company, you may be able to do a car drop off late morning in downtown Boston and take a cab to the pier.

My mother had mobility issues in later years and it always required extra planning. For one cruise I rented cars in St. Martin, Aruba, and Curaçao and we had a great time just driving around and stopping whenever we saw something that caught our eye. You can do the same in the Boston area and still stay within your budget and keep your stress level a lot lower.

Thank you 138! That helps so much, gonna run your idea by my mom and see what she thinks.

I figured we would have to end up renting a car, so I'm hoping to get into Boston early on Saturday so we have the entire day. I rented my my a scooter for on the cruise ship, and she's gonna have to do the short flights of stairs between floors, or she can do the elevators with glass. (she thinks) :rolleyes:

Last night I was checking out rooms in Winthrop. Looks close and not high rise hotels over there. What do you think about that area? Seeing your from the Boston area, I'm gonna just pepper you with questions! :p

Which hotels were you looking at? The airport is technically in Winthrop. I know there is a Courtyard and a Hampton Inn on the same road that the airport is off of. They probably offer a shuttle, but I don't know what your options for food would be.

With regards to the ship, if your mom is going to take the stairs, are you going to take the scooter in the elevator? You really can't just be leaving them laying around.

We booked a room in Salem at the Clipper Ship Inn. Seemed to be the only hotel in the area other than all the B&B's.

They're going to drive in from Michigan, pick me up at the airport, then we're gonna head up to Salem Saturday morning/early afternoon.

Should we just plan on parking at the cruise port, or is there somewhere less expensive? Anyone know?

Salem is only about 30 minutes or 14 miles from Boston - I consider that close.

It's rare that this trip can be made in 30 minutes, so allow plenty of time!

Edit: Heck, Google Maps says 39 minutes with no traffic from House of Seven Gables to Faneuil Hall.

I see that you already have a hotel in Salem, but if you want something less congested and a bit easier to navigate by car- have you considered any of the western suburbs? For instance, Burlington (lots of motels- no high rises- a Marriot, a Hilton Garden, Guest quarters suites) that are right off a major highway- rt 95. Also there are hotel options in Newton that put you right on the Mass Pike into the airport. I like Salem but don't find it simple to get to or from between traffic and urban roads. I suspect that w.e. in September is the "head of the charles regatta" although I haven't checked, or it is simply high season in Boston.

The Courtyard is in South Boston, as was the setting of the movie 'The Departed", not Dorchester. Even so, it's right off the highway, but at the beginning of the neighborhood. It's safe, but nothing much is within walking distance. Salem is nice, but not as nice as, or as much to do there as in Boston. Why would you opt to tour Salem instead of Boston? Salem may not seem far on a map, but driving there is a different story. If you're looking for something close to Boston and the terminal, why not stay at the airport (located in East Boston, not Winthrop), or at one of the newer hotels on the South Boston waterfront. Where are you planning on dropping off your car rental and how will you get to the terminal?

If you read the entire thread, you will find out that the OP is traveling with 2 seniors who have mobility issues plus one of them is claustrophobic and doesn't ride in elevators plus they want to see Salem. So they have some serious limitations and a car is one way to address the mobility issue and staying out of town in a hotel with first floor rooms addresses the claustrophobia issue.

If you read the entire thread, you will find out that the OP is traveling with 2 seniors who have mobility issues plus one of them is claustrophobic and doesn't ride in elevators plus they want to see Salem. So they have some serious limitations and a car is one way to address the mobility issue and staying out of town in a hotel with first floor rooms addresses the claustrophobia issue.

How then do they solve the mobility/claustrophobic/elevator issues on a cruise ship?

If you read the entire thread, you will see that the OP responded to that question as follows:

I rented my my a scooter for on the cruise ship, and she's gonna have to do the short flights of stairs between floors, or she can do the elevators with glass. (she thinks)

Archived