MDR Dinner Menu?

Hello All.

My husband is on a diet and doing well. We are cruising in two weeks and he is worried about gaining his weight back. I'm assuming there are plenty of healthy options on the menus, right? Where can I see a copy of the menu to assure him? Are there healthy choices at the Windjammer too or just MDR? Thanks...Lisa:)

Hello All.

My husband is on a diet and doing well. We are cruising in two weeks and he is worried about gaining his weight back. I'm assuming there are plenty of healthy options on the menus, right? Where can I see a copy of the menu to assure him? Are there healthy choices at the Windjammer too or just MDR? Thanks...Lisa:)

Menus:

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/

Hello All.

Tell him not to worry about it, calories do not count on cruise ships - just always take the stairs and put in an extra workout or two.

But seriously, on a previous cruise I was in the midst of a self (and WD) imposed strict diet. There were plenty of options on the regular menu to create a menu that was molded for my preferences -- for instance, I would ask for a double order of salad to be served with the entre - usually some type of chicken dish (non-fried & no sauce) - then combine the two for a chicken salad -- just ask them to hold off on the potatoes. There is usally one low-cal appetizer and at least one type of sugar-free dessert. However, I did allow myself to go all-out on one evening.

I do not know what type of diet your husband is on, but when I am on a diet, it usually consists mostly of salad, chicken (with an occasional lean meat or fish), and a whole-grain rice - so I did not have to vary much while on the cruise.

At the WJ - there are plenty of salad choices, and a few low cal/carb entre items if you search (even a burger patty with no bread is an option).

For breakfast -- Order omlets with egg whites & lettuce & tomato on the side.

You may also want to contact special/food services, they may be able to provide him with other additional options.

There are "healthy" options on the ship, he just has to bring his willpower -- good luck to him!!!

RCI MDR used to have a "vitality" selection on the menu, listing the lower calorie options. I can't remember they still have this. Of course your waiter or head waiter can help you. On my last cruise, my DIL was on a restricted diet. The head waiter came by each evening to take her order for the next evening. Remember, chicken breast is always an option and I've read it is pretty good. Breakfast has carved ham which is usually lean. Sodium might be a problem -- ship food can be on the salty side. But that weight usually goes away quickly once you get off the salt.

But then again, it's a cruise Here's a couple of slogans I go by when on a cruise:

* Eat here and diet home.

* A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

RCI MDR used to have a "vitality" selection on the menu, listing the lower calorie options. I can't remember they still have this. Of course your waiter or head waiter can help you. On my last cruise, my DIL was on a restricted diet. The head waiter came by each evening to take her order for the next evening. Remember, chicken breast is always an option and I've read it is pretty good. Breakfast has carved ham which is usually lean. Sodium might be a problem -- ship food can be on the salty side. But that weight usually goes away quickly once you get off the salt.

But then again, it's a cruise Here's a couple of slogans I go by when on a cruise:

* Eat here and diet home.

* A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

There was a Vitality menu option every evening on Splendour of the Seas in May. My husband and I prefer healthy food options, and so if there was nothing on Vitality that we wanted, our super waiter would get us fresh fruit salads for our starter and dessert.

Windjammer has a wonderful choice of salads and fresh fruits too, and we find a brisk walk around the ship deck two or three times takes care of anything extra (like the delicious roast beef sandwiches) that may slip through the net!

Personally I have found that it is not hard to eat healthy onboard if you have a little willpower and eat senisbly. Where I have the issues is the alcohol that adds all those liquid calories I am not used to taking in!!

Thanks for posting this!

So, which two of these should we expect to be "formal" night"? Or does that vary by ship/itinerary?

Thanks,

Brad

Don't know about the first formal night, but the menu called "Jasmine" is usually on the second formal night.

and enjoy at the same time.. My plan:

do not eat bread and butter at dinner and only on a sandwich.

have a bite of dessert but don't eat all. The same goes for sour cream, butter, etc.

Take to the Stairs. Don't use the elevator any more than you have to if you have to be a little tipsy and need assistance to your stateroom. Walk, Do a Morning and afternoon walk. Enjoy a swim daily. Visit the gym if nothing more than morning stretches. Enjoy fresh fruits and cereal for breakfast, salad for lunch and beer for, the MDR for evening.

Seriously, you can not put on a pound while enjoying a cruise and even lose weight without dieting. Have a blast! we always do, even if we put on a pound.. lOLOL

If you eat plenty of healthy options, you would still put on weight because the calories all add up!

Avoid the carbs as much as possible.

Avoid sugary drinks and alcohol as much as possible. All these give you calories and don't really make you full.

Increase your calorie output as much as you can. Keep walking. Bring along a pedometer and challenge yourself to get 30,000 steps a day. It helps!

Archived