Souvenirs from Barcelona

sgh20037

What sort of souvenirs to bring home should I look for in Barcelona? Not the cheesy kind but something to be enjoyed after the cruise is over.

Since you have posted this on this and other board...do a search as there was a question asked and answered with about 200 replies as to what to buy in different ports etc.You will know what you want to buy when you are in a country and you see the same thing all over the place.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has found some special/unique/fun things to buy for souvenirs in Barcelona.

If they still sell them...some of the ceramics from some of Parc Guell and Gaudi's art work.They carried them in some of the smaller art galleries and better tourist shops.Shoes and smaller leather goods are amazing.

Some times we have found candy or some speciality food that is packaged to bring back. I often shop for a high end candy to bring back for co workers.

Hmmm..We bought some candy in La Boqueria..Yuck !!

We did find some leather bracelets for our grandchildren from a vendor on Las Ramblas and he engraved each of their names on them...they loved them and still wear them.

I would look for a piece of ceramic artwork that is local.

It will make for a very nice memory.

Have a wonderful time there.

Keith

There is a small gallery in the old town that I seem to find every time we visit - if you are coming up from the Columbus statue on Las Rambla it is about 1/3 up on the right down one of the small side streets. DH swears I "channel" the right lane:o The shop has ceramics and glasswear from all over Spain and in all different sizes and budgets. I always get a piece of ceramic or glass when I am there and every time I use a piece - small dish for my soap, pitcher for water, or just something to admire, I think about Barcelona:)

The gallery that dalgirl posted about, off of Las Ramblas, is I believe the same one that we bought several ceramic pieces. (Think it is right next to Las Caracolas restaurant...and the array was amazing.)

For multiple souvenier gifts for friends, coworkers, etc: I found a GREAT selection of small ceramics, Gaudi boxes, porcelain trays, etc at El Corte Ingles (the large department store right on Plaza Catalunya). The souvenier section is right on the ground floor and it was very convenient to charge many items on one slip for the VAT refund. We even hit a sale!

Also there's a little "Farmer's Market" at Monserrat that sold wonderful Catalan specialties like fig or date cake which were packaged for travel.

Enjoy!:)

• 1 month later...
The gallery that dalgirl posted about, off of Las Ramblas, is I believe the same one that we bought several ceramic pieces. (Think it is right next to Las Caracolas restaurant...and the array was amazing.)

For multiple souvenier gifts for friends, coworkers, etc: I found a GREAT selection of small ceramics, Gaudi boxes, porcelain trays, etc at El Corte Ingles (the large department store right on Plaza Catalunya). The souvenier section is right on the ground floor and it was very convenient to charge many items on one slip for the VAT refund. We even hit a sale!

Also there's a little "Farmer's Market" at Monserrat that sold wonderful Catalan specialties like fig or date cake which were packaged for travel.

Enjoy!:)

Arriving in Barcelona in 2 weeks! Can't wait to look for that little shop. And we are going to Monserrat so will keep those in mind also. Thanks for the great ideas!

I fell in love with a little shop in the Spanish Village (Poble Espanyol on Montjuic near MNAC). I found an incredible tapestry for my craft room. They have other things too.

The shop is Ars Hispaniae Tapissos. Search facebook you'll find them. I don't think they have a website.

I know the OP is asking about souvenirs, but I couldn't resist the chance to mention Los Caracoles (note correct name), an outstanding, attractive, historic restaurant. Here's the link to the restaurant web site:

http://www.loscaracoles.es/index.php/en.html

If you click on the link to "Where we are" you'll have a good map to get to your ceramics store.

My husband and I ate a large and memorable lunch by sharing an appetizer of fried calamares and one portion of the rotisserie chicken. We added a half pitcher of lovely sangria and finished by sharing a Crema Catalan, the second-best one we had in Barcelona. (The winner of that honor goes to La Gardunya, just behind La Boqueria market.)

Incidentally, the chicken is roasted on a spit that is visible from outside the restaurant. We passed by the location well before lunch. An employee had the protective glass doors open and was adding wood logs to the fire that roasts the chicken. Since the web site features a photograph of their rotisserie spit, we figured we ought to try the signature dish. We were not disappointed.

Archived