Katakolon express or ship's tour?

margbem

Should we take the ship's tour to Olympia (we have onboard credit so cost is not an issue!) or take the Katakolon Express? I have enquired and they have spaces for us on the bus for €10 each. Obviously this does not include a guide, where the ship does. I have also copied the pages from Rick Steves book so we could guide ourselves once there. Help!

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard that actually there is a train from Katakolon to Olimpia and that it is modern and looks more like a modern tram. Has anybody tried this train?

We did not take it, but it was running last October/November when we were there.

• 3 weeks later...

We tried to take the train (late August, 2013), which was not running due to a last-minute strike but they provided bus service for the same 10 euros between the train stations. The 8:45am bus left about 25 minutes late when it finally filled up. The return bus (I think at noon) left right on time but it was full with people waiting.

We used Rick Steve's tour for the archaeological site. We (especially my wife) were very pleased with the museum, particularly seeing the statues from the top of the Zeus temple and the ceramics that still had some color on them...most artifacts you see from those times are all plain stone colors. It was nice to be reminded that things were bright and colorful back then! Various of tour options didn't include the museum, but for the small extra admission cost, it is worth even 30 minutes since you are already there.

We were impressed with the archaeological site. It was interested to see the ruins of the Temple of Zeus that really look like they just fell over. We've seen lots of ruins, and while these in some ways aren't as impressive as Pompei or Ephesus, they were different enough and historic enough to make us very happy to have made the trip.

We tried to take the train (late August, 2013), which was not running due to a last-minute strike but they provided bus service for the same 10 euros between the train stations. The 8:45am bus left about 25 minutes late when it finally filled up. The return bus (I think at noon) left right on time but it was full with people waiting.

We used Rick Steve's tour for the archaeological site. We (especially my wife) were very pleased with the museum, particularly seeing the statues from the top of the Zeus temple and the ceramics that still had some color on them...most artifacts you see from those times are all plain stone colors. It was nice to be reminded that things were bright and colorful back then! Various of tour options didn't include the museum, but for the small extra admission cost, it is worth even 30 minutes since you are already there.

We were impressed with the archaeological site. It was interested to see the ruins of the Temple of Zeus that really look like they just fell over. We've seen lots of ruins, and while these in some ways aren't as impressive as Pompei or Ephesus, they were different enough and historic enough to make us very happy to have made the trip.

Thank you. We will definitely go in the museum. Not long before we are there now!

We are on the Jade from 9 AM to 6 PM (along with the Thomson Majesty). Their website is not clear on when pickup time is.

They state that the tour duration is three hours. Is that three hours including travel time? That doesn't seem like too much time to enjoy Olympia if it does!!

Has anyone just taken the bus there and not returned on it?

Thanks for your input!

Beach ? I will be there mid November and have done Olimpia before in March 2008. Any one knows what the weather like in Nov. and a beach to swimm if not too cold: walking distance or taxi Thanks!

According to this website, the average 'high' temparture for November is around 18C (or 64F) so it won't be warm enough to swim/sunbathe comfortably in my opinion unless the luck is on you and you get higher-than-the-average on the day of your visit ....;)

http://www.holiday-weather.com/katakolon/averages/november/

Edited by dogandchief

We are on the Jade from 9 AM to 6 PM (along with the Thomson Majesty). Their website is not clear on when pickup time is.

They state that the tour duration is three hours. Is that three hours including travel time? That doesn't seem like too much time to enjoy Olympia if it does!!

Has anyone just taken the bus there and not returned on it?

Thanks for your input!

We get picked up at 8am and the bus leaves Olympia at noon. It looks like we get at least 3 hours there. I will post after we have been!

We get picked up at 8am and the bus leaves Olympia at noon. It looks like we get at least 3 hours there. I will post after we have been!

Thanks for the response!!

I wonder if they adjust their times to the ships that are in port since we don't get there until 9 AM. Probably earliest we can get off the ship would be 9:15 if everything goes ok.

Anyone else have any input?

Thanks!

Thanks for the response!!

I wonder if they adjust their times to the ships that are in port since we don't get there until 9 AM. Probably earliest we can get off the ship would be 9:15 if everything goes ok.

Anyone else have any input?

Thanks!

They must adjust, as we are scheduled to arrive at 8am and the bus picks us up then. I did mention this in my email and they said it was fine. We are the only ship in that morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what happened with the o.p.'s tour however, we with 16 others from our roll call used Katakalon-Express on September 16 and found Stephen (who is British) to be very professional and his guide excellent. They have now been restricted from picking up passengers inside of the port gates and we did receive an email a few days before we arrived from Stephen advising of the change and that he would meet us outside the port gates holding signs....we had no trouble finding him at all and quite enjoyed our tour with his company.

something happened so when send second email....bingo...fast and booked....should be lots of fun...

Glad you heard from Stephen, something may have had something go a rye with your first message. I have exchanged emails with him since we have returned and I will say that he was extremely professional in keeping us abreast of how the tour was selling.