Is it too early to pack?! :)

ContessaK

Yes but I plan to bring a bit of soap to wash delicates and they have a laundry bag special for $25 I believe. You can stuff a lot in there so I'm told.

The special you are referring to is wash and FOLD. Since nothing is pressed it is usefulness is limited.

Shak

Our experience with the wash and fold special was a disaster. We didn't request it, we had our stuff bagged and labeled with the regular laundry bags, the cabin steward probably thought he was doing us a favor.

So, all my husbands Tommy Bahama shirts, his slacks for evening dinner, a couple of my cotton tops all had to go back to laundry for pressing. It was all unwearable it was so wrinkled. After adding the cost of additional pressing, we spent about $10-12 more than our original plan. The laundry bag special also was a higher price than if we had just sent the things in for regular laundry.

The laundry special is fine for things like mens underwear, socks, pajamas and T shirts (if you don't mind them folded, we don't fold any of our clothing). I doubt we had enough of the above to total $25, it still would have been cheaper to send them out individually priced.,

If you pack right you won't even need the wrinkle release spray, I haven't used any of the stuff for years. Everything goes into plastic dry cleaner bags and I use the garment section of the suitcase or a rolling garment bag. I couldn't do carry on, even though I pack lighter than what I read about here. I don't like to board airplanes encumbered, so I only pack what I need for the first day/night and whatever electronics and toiletries I can't do without. I just figure the $25 each way for the bags is part of vacation cost.

Carry on...packed all the time, just need refills for liquids in our refillable bottles. I find we use the same things if we go for one night or 3 weeks and that bag is always the most time consuming and the biggest hassle. Clothes are easy.

Edit to add: I don't bother bringing my own soap for hand laundry. I just use the mystery soap provided in the shower.

Our cruise is in 2 months and 1 week and I'm so excited I'm about to jump out of my skin. Hubby says I'm not allowed to ask him anymore cruise related opinions unless it is life altering. Apparently asking him what color snorkeling gear he would prefer did not fall under the life altering category. :rolleyes:

My brain is already thinking, 'oh, I could take this clothing and I better pack those vitamins and...' I think I'm obsessed. Hubby just accused me of being on the computer and this website for so long, he thinks I'm googling the right amount of underwear to bring.

After your tickets are all purchased and travel booked and such, what is the first thing you do that makes it all seem real? I'm thinking when I drag out my suitcase. (shhh, might do it tomorrow! Never too early! hehe :p)

It's not too early to pack and get organized.

I will begin packing for my April cruise after Thanksgiving. The clothes I will be bringing won't be needed until then so why not get packing out of the way?

Here's a good article that will help you http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=76

Making lists helps and you can check off what's been take care of and move on to the next item.

I always bring my "emergency kit" with me. That's the over the counter meds, bandages, etc. that's always handy to have. Starting early allows me to buy items on sale.

It never does any harm to be ready ahead of time. Plans can change. We will be driving to our port and leaving early in the am. But we will also be watching the weather. Our area often has heavy early morning fogs. So if we find our departure morning might be fogged in. We would leave the day before. I'll be ready and not still doing laundry and hoping everyone has found their passport.

All of the above will ensure that your stress level will be low and you'll be ready to have a great vacation.

So get packing!

I normal start packing about a week before.. But I have stuff in order in my closet that I will be taking and I wont wear again til the cruise.. I find if you pack too early your clothes don't smell as good.. Then again that's just me and maybe I am werid lol

I normal start packing about a week before.. But I have stuff in order in my closet that I will be taking and I wont wear again til the cruise.. I find if you pack too early your clothes don't smell as good.. Then again that's just me and maybe I am werid lol

You are so right about the clothes not smelling fresh. Just layer a few dryer sheets in your luggage and everything smells lovely.

The special you are referring to is wash and FOLD. Since nothing is pressed it is usefulness is limited.

Shak

I'm sure they'll hopefully do a bit of drying too. Lol I'm bringing Downy Wrinkle Release in case.

Most of the shirts I have are thinner so they're easy to wash and hang. I don't want them dried. We'll prob just have then wash pants, shorts, socks. Not much. I'm not going to worry too much. My parents travel Europe for 3 weeks each spring with just 2-3 changes of clothes. I'm sure I can live thru 2 weeks with 2 carry ons full of clothes.

I'm sure they'll hopefully do a bit of drying too. Lol I'm bringing Downy Wrinkle Release in case.

Most of the shirts I have are thinner so they're easy to wash and hang. I don't want them dried. We'll prob just have then wash pants, shorts, socks. Not much. I'm not going to worry too much. My parents travel Europe for 3 weeks each spring with just 2-3 changes of clothes. I'm sure I can live thru 2 weeks with 2 carry ons full of clothes.

If you are packing clothing that wick moisture the fabric softener can reduce the wicking properties. Bring along some cloths pins and detergent and save $25. For detergent I use Campsuds. It is a concentrated soap so the 2oz bottle will pack in your carry on and last the entire cruise. I also bring inflatable hangers. I believe they reduce the drying time and since they are inflatable they take up little room.

Shak

http://www.amazon.com/Campsuds-Biodegradable-Cleaner/dp/B001ETJTQ2

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-guy/Why-is-fabric-softener-considered-harmful-to-technical-apparel-.html

If you are packing clothing that wick moisture the fabric softener can reduce the wicking properties. Bring along some cloths pins and detergent and save $25. For detergent I use Campsuds. It is a concentrated soap so the 2oz bottle will pack in your carry on and last the entire cruise. I also bring inflatable hangers. I believe they reduce the drying time and since they are inflatable they take up little room.

Shak

http://www.amazon.com/Campsuds-Biodegradable-Cleaner/dp/B001ETJTQ2

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-guy/Why-is-fabric-softener-considered-harmful-to-technical-apparel-.html

Campsuds are good and you can also put some Dawn in squeeze travel bottle. I love Dawn, it does the job for so many things!

Campsuds are good and you can also put some Dawn in squeeze travel bottle. I love Dawn, it does the job for so many things!

Thanks to you and Shak for the info on both of these types. Hadn't decided what to bring yet.

Regarding hanging clothes to dry, I find that things don't dry in ship bathrooms. We swam the first and second days of a five day, and our suits were still damp when we packed them!

I was thinking of just hanging in the room or in the closet. I also think they will bring additional hangers if you ask them.

I've got some stuff packed for our April cruise! :D

No clothes yet, but things like band aids, OTC meds, wet wipes, etc. Don't tell DH, he already thinks I'm nuts!

Well I don't think you are! lol I'm lamenting the fact that I don't have a guest room as some people have said they do. I want to pull my suitcases out and leave them out and start filling them. ;) I may just set them out in my room floor and have at it. If only I can keep the cats and dogs from sleeping in them. lol

I have a very small house so I have to wait as late as possible to get out my suitcases and pack. So I have made my smallest closet into my cruise closet. All clothes that are cruising are in there. I also bought some of the underbed storage boxes. Shoes go in one and odds and ends in the other. When it comes time to pack it should go much faster with everything together.

Regarding hanging clothes to dry, I find that things don't dry in ship bathrooms. We swam the first and second days of a five day, and our suits were still damp when we packed them!

I roll my wet clothing in a towel after washing to remove excess moisture and I don't have any problems with most things not being dry overnight even in the bathroom. Wool or cotton socks seem to take a little longer but no were near 3 days. All my clothing that is designed to dry quickly dry overnight.

Shak

I use high efficiency laundry detergent -the kind used in front loading washing machines. A 3oz or 100ml plastic bottle will be enough to wash underwear, socks, swimsuit, blouses for a week. It will also be allowable in carryon luggage at airports.

If you are packing light and want to launder in the sink, try it out with each item of clothing at home first. You will know what items dry overnight, what looks good without wrinkling and requiring ironing.

My husband has been packed for weeks now, since we changed our cruise from January to October about a month ago he's been packed. We dont have a guest room he just keeps adding and taking away things from his suitcase. I tend to not pack til maybe 3 days before the cruise, but I think about packing everyday...but never do it! :)

Shak

We've used the bag special many times on several cruise lines and our shirts/blouses have always been hung on hangars, not folded. They always look as if they'd been ironed so I think maybe they're put through some kind of pressing machine.

The only folded items have been hubby's undershirts and briefs.

I organized my toiletries bag today seeing what I had and what was needed to be replaced or refilled. Little things like that keep me excited for my trip and I figure getting things like this out of the way helps keep me organized.:)

I have my luggage out seems like I néed a piece now and then my spare room will look like a cruise central soon I have 2 months 2 weeks and 2 days I am so excited it is coming fast and yet a long way away

Darlene

I have my suitcase open in one of our spare bedrooms, toss things in as they come to mind, then "clean" closets pulling potential items, shoes etc.

Also, I like to keep some of my cruise clothes new and special so I actually store a lot in a suit case.

I will sort, pack, sort, unpack, sort and review and pack/unpack at least 5 or 6 times - then on departure day, I weigh my bag and become very creative.

Proud of myself for cutting way down on shoes - I used to pack 5-6 pairs and only wear 2

I get big smiles knowing that I am not the only one that get :rolleyes: when I do a show-and-tell on something I came home with for our cruises (dam Dollar Store), but he sure loves the bright belt on the suitcase, uses the hiliter pen more than me, and stopped rolling on the floor laughing when I hung his shoe bag for miscellaneous and was able to always find his stuff. I now, do not over pack, and have learned what I actually need.

The day before, I do place a list on the front door for DH or he would walk out without his suitcase and wallet. There is now also a note - I will NOT go shopping for another dress belt or sun hat for him!

Now........leaving in 6 days, back to packing.

Also, our dogs take some time to pack and check them into Bed & Biscuit, once they are settled I can seriously get ready.

Have great cruises all and thanks for the *smiles* & *laughs*

• 2 weeks later...

It's time! I leave on a plane in 12 days for our b2b! I can't wait! I already packed clothes a bit but then pulled some out to wear. I guess I have favorite clothes. lol I've already lost something I bought for the trip, some meds. Don't know where I put them. Hate when that happens.

I will do our packing tomorrow afternoon and make a list of all that we still need. Last minute I'm needing a waterproof camera. Was going to borrow one but now need to buy one so that is a definite so I can take fishie pics.

I've also given in to checking a suitcase. I'll pay for 1 only though and we're bringing one on the plane. Hubby just couldn't get past the carry ons, he thinks we'll have more stuff than that. I'm just worried about where to put our huge suitcase when we get to our room!

It's time! I leave on a plane in 12 days for our b2b! I can't wait! I already packed clothes a bit but then pulled some out to wear. I guess I have favorite clothes. lol I've already lost something I bought for the trip, some meds. Don't know where I put them. Hate when that happens.

I will do our packing tomorrow afternoon and make a list of all that we still need. Last minute I'm needing a waterproof camera. Was going to borrow one but now need to buy one so that is a definite so I can take fishie pics.

I've also given in to checking a suitcase. I'll pay for 1 only though and we're bringing one on the plane. Hubby just couldn't get past the carry ons, he thinks we'll have more stuff than that. I'm just worried about where to put our huge suitcase when we get to our room!

Suitcases fit easily under the beds! Unless they are REALLY massive!

If the suitcase won't fit under the bed closed, open it and it will fit. The smaller ones should fit in the open sides.

I was so pleased to come across this thread. My DH is exactly the same. Do we have to book flights, hotels, etc. now? (We are sailing in January.)

Just book whatever and let me know when to show up... No excitement. He lets me talk about it about once a month (lol).

Have a great cruise!

Maybe it too early to actually pack, but it's NOT too early to think about what you plan to bring and what you might have to get. Allow yourself plenty of time so if it's something you have to order and have delivered you'll have in plenty of time without fretting over it. Make a list, now. Things you have but you won't be needing our using until the cruise, set aside in a specific place. Then when it's time to actually pack, everything will be in one place, you'll have it all and it will only take a few minutes to actually "pack".

Archived