Can kids eat in the specialty restaurants?

james'mommy

Will be sailing the Sun with 3 kids (9' date=' 10 and 12). Is there an age limit on diners? If not is there a kids price and kids menu?[/quote']

Watch the freestyle daily too...when we were on the Dawn they had a few nights they were offering kids eat free in the specialty dining.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Can kids eat in the specialty restaurants?

As long as their well behaved and don't interrupt other diner's.

We would all like to see children behave but there are no rules regarding age limits in the specialty restaurants. I hope you and your children have a wonderful trip. My son, 10 years old (and well-behaved just like I'm sure yours are :D), loves cruising; but I have not taken him to a specialty restaurant yet. I intend to take him to Teppanyaki Hibachi Grill because he loves Japanese food and he has enjoyed the Japanese steakhouses in our city.

Have a lovely time!

We would all like to see children behave but there are no rules regarding age limits in the specialty restaurants. I hope you and your children have a wonderful trip. My son, 10 years old (and well-behaved just like I'm sure yours are :D), loves cruising; but I have not taken him to a specialty restaurant yet. I intend to take him to Teppanyaki Hibachi Grill because he loves Japanese food and he has enjoyed the Japanese steakhouses in our city.

Have a lovely time!

Just so everyone knows, I'll be taking my 3 and 4 year old into Teppanyaki during our Thanksgiving cruise. They are 'well behaved' to be sure. :) We'll be eating at the earliest possible reservation.

Thank you folks for this post. Was planning on taking our grandson (will be 4 by then) to La Cucina as a duel birthday dinner with Auntie as they share the same birthday Oct. 8th. We sail on the 11th. never gave the time element a second thought. Now thanks to this post I think maybe I should. Can't picture him sitting for 1 1/2 hours.

Thanks again

My children have dined in specialty restaurants and in the MDR in their "Sunday best" since the age of 3 (and in restaurants at home since birth) and we have never had a behavioral issue with them. Well, once, with a then 18 month old who just would not stop crying, so we asked for our entrees to go and left.. turned out he had double ear infections ...

It is their vacation too, so enjoy it! And at their age, I am sure they are past tantrums..Nintendo DS' or iPods work well to keep them occupied if they get bored too!

Thanks for the replies. The 12 year old is mine and he is well traveled and used to dining in nice restaurants. I don't expect him to disturb other diners. The other 2 are my niece and nephew. They are well behaved but can be a little loud. They may just go to the kids clubs instead of the specialty restaurants.

Thank you folks for this post. Was planning on taking our grandson (will be 4 by then) to La Cucina as a duel birthday dinner with Auntie as they share the same birthday Oct. 8th. We sail on the 11th. never gave the time element a second thought. Now thanks to this post I think maybe I should. Can't picture him sitting for 1 1/2 hours.

Thanks again

Take him! I don't recall ever spending 1-1/2 hours for a meal at La Cucina. Have fun.

Tepenyaki is supposed to be fun. It is a dinner and a show. I have been to Tep on the Sun 3 times. Would be delighted to share the table with your kids.

Last cruise there were 3 kids at my table and it was one of the little boy's birthday. His mom brought a bottle of wine and shared it. I could not have had more fun.

I am no rocket scientist but I have my own gifts. And I hope I am compassionate enough to overlook that someone may not have skills in spelling, composition and grammer but has a good heart.

My mother taught me that unless I am the teacher it is better to overlook others errors than point them out. Because it is the person criticizing that more often looks bad.

DMH15 Classy Answer. Love it!

OP, another tip is that usually the servers offer to bring the kids' plates before the adults'. If they don't, you can ask them to. This allows the kids to start early with less wait time. They will also finish their meal before the rest of the table. In the past, we have then rotated 1 adult taking the kids to the kids club so that the little ones don't have to wait for the rest of the meal with nothing to do but get themselves into trouble. It doesn't take too long to drop them off at the club and get back. When that volunteer adult returns, desert and coffee can then be at your leisure.

Very good advice, well presented, with just the right amount of verve.

The only time I hear fingernails on the chalkboard is when the word "Latitudes" is hacked to death.

If you're a member, at least get the spelling correct, eh?

eh.jpg.78d92db354150935fff752c15cacfb31.jpg

Take him! I don't recall ever spending 1-1/2 hours for a meal at La Cucina. Have fun.

Thank you so very much I was kinda (Yes I used that word is it a word :D) feeling a little down as I wanted to have a joint birthday dinner for him and Auntie they have the same birthday Oct. 8th. but 88 years apart. We are going.

I would like to point out that many of us parents are just as horrified (as well as mortified) at our child's bad behaviour as the strangers seated near us are. Many of us respond as quickly as we can in the best way we know how. (For example, leaving the dining area) I don't want to sit next to a whining brat either, but I try to give the parent or child some slack.

That is not to say that I have not been seated near a yelling parent or obnoxious child and daydreamed about flinging a spoonful of mashed potatoes their way! :):):)

I would like to point out that many of us parents are just as horrified (as well as mortified) at our child's bad behaviour as the strangers seated near us are. Many of us respond as quickly as we can in the best way we know how. (For example, leaving the dining area) I don't want to sit next to a whining brat either, but I try to give the parent or child some slack.

That is not to say that I have not been seated near a yelling parent or obnoxious child and daydreamed about flinging a spoonful of mashed potatoes their way! :):):)

I agree. I think the majority of parents are considerate of others around them. I see most parents act as quickly as they reasonably can. Some people think 5 seconds of listening to a child babble or cry is too long. Those people should probably charter private yachts so as to avoid us breeders. :rolleyes:

I also think that people who think all children who cry or have melt downs know nothing about child development, proprioceptive input, or other types of sensory integration. When a child acts out...it's not always because their parents are negligent in their parenting. That doesn't mean other people should be subjected to a long dinner of tantrum throwing but this world is quickly losing it's empathy, grace, and mercy when it comes to dealing with other people.

OP - could you do a practice "fancy" dinner at home some time and see if your kids are amenable to that? My first 5 course meals were at a hotel in Bermuda when I was 7 and I remember some nights falling asleep in the chair because dinner started so much later than at home.

Flying home from Seattle not many weeks ago a young Mom had her baby on her lap. I am guessing the baby was around 11months old. Not long into the flight the baby starting crying, and having fits where he or she would throw their body back. Therefore kicking the parents, the tray, the seats in front. The Mom was so embarassed and tried everything to console that baby. The Dad was aggravated with the baby and the Mom for not being able to quiet the baby. What a big help he was. His frustration only amplified the Mom's stress and the babies. That poor Mom did not need the glares of us passengers seated nearby.

On a plane the Mom did not have any place to go but on a cruise at least parents have their cabin. My two kids rarely act up in public, but if they do we always have an out. There is always the possibility, especially with a daughter with OCD. Things do not always go as planned.

OP - could you do a practice "fancy" dinner at home some time and see if your kids are amenable to that? My first 5 course meals were at a hotel in Bermuda when I was 7 and I remember some nights falling asleep in the chair because dinner started so much later than at home.

That's a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...
Just so everyone knows, I'll be taking my 3 and 4 year old into Teppanyaki during our Thanksgiving cruise. They are 'well behaved' to be sure. :) We'll be eating at the earliest possible reservation.

I haven't been to the Teppanyaki restaurant aboard an NCL ship, but I have a heads-up for you based on taking my own 3 year old nephew to a hibachi place awhile back.

Make sure that the 3 and 4 year olds are well prepared that there might be a "big fire" on the grill and that it will all be okay. My poor nephew took one look at that fire when the chef flamed the grill (squirted oil and ignited it) then told my sister that we all needed to leave the restaurant NOW. We calmed him down fairly quickly but I think the chef's show would have been much more enjoyable for him if we had talked about this part of the routine first!

I haven't been to the Teppanyaki restaurant aboard an NCL ship, but I have a heads-up for you based on taking my own 3 year old nephew to a hibachi place awhile back.

Make sure that the 3 and 4 year olds are well prepared that there might be a "big fire" on the grill and that it will all be okay. My poor nephew took one look at that fire when the chef flamed the grill (squirted oil and ignited it) then told my sister that we all needed to leave the restaurant NOW. We calmed him down fairly quickly but I think the chef's show would have been much more enjoyable for him if we had talked about this part of the routine first!

This actually isn't an issue on board because open flames are not allowed. There will be some steam & other showmanship, but no open flames. Enjoy!

This actually isn't an issue on board because open flames are not allowed. There will be some steam & other showmanship, but no open flames. Enjoy!

True...my kids were disappointed in that! They had been to hibachi at home and knew what to expect...I did not know they did not have open flames so I was building it up for them. Definitely makes sense, though, so in hindsight I should have known!