CC charging my card without my permission.

ladycooki3

Every time I have called my PVP to add something to my reservation, such as prepaid grats, I have needed to give a card number each time I call as she tells me they do not keep your CC number on file. It has been that way on every cruise I have booked. So, if that is indeed the case, how did they charge to this card without getting the number from you at the time the charge was added? :confused:

Since Carnival does not keep credit cards on file, it sounds to me as though the PVP set up auto-payment at the time of deposit and either the OP did not authorize this or had forgotten that she did.

Our final payment was due on the 29th of July. I called a few days before because we had taken insurance out and had some questions. The person I was speaking to informed me that on the 29th our payment would be auto paid using the card we have on file.

Yes they do keep credit cards on file for payments. We always make sure the card we give them is the card we want them to use.

PVPs are not supposed to put you down for auto-pay automatically.

They are supposed to ask if you want to do auto-pay.

Some PVPs are simply using clever phrasing to make you think it is mandatory that your booking be auto-paid at final by the credit card you used to make deposit.

You can say, "No."

But some people may not realize this or may not be listening carefully to what is being said to them.

Since Carnival does not keep credit cards on file, it sounds to me as though the PVP set up auto-payment at the time of deposit and either the OP did not authorize this or had forgotten that she did.

If CCL doesn't keep cards on file how would they have the card # when it came time for the auto payment?

Also the OP said she booked with one credit card and when the autopay payment was made they used a different card that she previously used.

I find it hard to believe you could book with one card, agree to autopay with another card and totally forgetting you agreed to this.

I'm sure it could happen but it sure seems like a stretch to me.

Bill

If CCL doesn't keep cards on file how would they have the card # when it came time for the auto payment?

Also the OP said she booked with one credit card and when the autopay payment was made they used a different card that she previously used.

I find it hard to believe you could book with one card, agree to autopay with another card and totally forgetting you agreed to this.

I'm sure it could happen but it sure seems like a stretch to me.

Bill

I simply feel that the OP may be mistaken.

People book cruises months or even a year in advance, and may forget that they had authorized auto-payment and on what card (unless they went back and scoured their account(s) history).

Or, as I stated previously, perhaps the PVP set her up for auto-payment and she did not realize it or forgot.

Otherwise, unless the PVP wrote down her credit card number at the time she made her deposit or a subsequent payment (perhaps on a different card), I find it to be extremely unlikely that her booking had not been set up for auto-payment (with or without her knowledge).

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thread. All those questions have been answered above.:)

Bill

I think some of you are being a bit unfair to Songbird. The point I believe she was trying to make is that, contrary to OP's implication, this was not a case of fraud or theft. And I agree. I think posters denigrate their own posts when they claim theft and such for mistakes and misunderstandings, or even simply unjustifiably aggressive salesmanship. Bad way to treat customers, sure; theft or fraud, oh come now.

I think some of you are being a bit unfair to Songbird. The point I believe she was trying to make is that, contrary to OP's implication, this was not a case of fraud or theft. And I agree. I think posters denigrate their own posts when they claim theft and such for mistakes and misunderstandings, or even simply unjustifiably aggressive salesmanship. Bad way to treat customers, sure; theft or fraud, oh come now.

here is the quote from Songbird to which I replied that I guess they didn't read the earlier post.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Originally Posted by songbird1329

First of all, it's not fraud or theft. The PVP used your credit card to pay for something you purchased, a cruise. Final payment was due and your PVP used your card to make your final payment so that you could go on the cruise you purchased.

Yes, I know, he didn't ask for your authorization to do this. And that has to be annoying.

But how are you aggrieved? Were you planning to use a different method of payment? Were you planning to cancel the cruise and cannot do so without penalty because final payment has been made?

Did you try to use the card for simething else and have it declined because final payment maxed out your credit limit?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

When i replied I was speaking about the comment in red above. If Songbird had read the earlier post Songbird would have known the the OP's son was given the credit card that was charged to use at school and the OP was using a different card and was also the card the cruise deposit was made with.

So I don't feel I was being unfair.

Bill

Mea culpa, I did not read the entire tgread before I posted.

Still haven't read it all.

Am I to understand the OP requested an extention of time for final payment and planned to use a different card to make the oayment?

So what?

I'n going to assume that someone with authority granted OP's request and OP had a few extea days to make the payment.

It's neither theft nor fraud. OP initially gave Carnival the credit card and authorized Carnival to use the card. The OP's card was used for the OP's benefit. At most it was sloppiness on the part if Carnival in failing to note the extention of time and an overzealous PVP trying to prevent a default by the OP and the loss of the deposit.

So, ok, it was a hassle for the OP. OP was inconvenienced by Carnival's alleged failure to honor the extention and/or communication errors. That doesn't make it theft or fraud, and to label it thus is to lose all credibility vis a vis any legitimate the OP has with respect to how the matter was handled.

FYI, OP, be very careful about which card you use to set up your Sail and Sign card when you go on the cruise. Have you read your cruise contract? You've given Carnival implicit permission to charge certain fees to your card without asking you first.

Mea culpa, I did not read the entire tgread before I posted.

Still haven't read it all.

Am I to understand the OP requested an extention of time for final payment and planned to use a different card to make the oayment?

So what?

I'n going to assume that someone with authority granted OP's request and OP had a few extea days to make the payment.

It's neither theft nor fraud. OP initially gave Carnival the credit card and authorized Carnival to use the card. The OP's card was used for the OP's benefit. At most it was sloppiness on the part if Carnival in failing to note the extention of time and an overzealous PVP trying to prevent a default by the OP and the loss of the deposit.

So, ok, it was a hassle for the OP. OP was inconvenienced by Carnival's alleged failure to honor the extention and/or communication errors. That doesn't make it theft or fraud, and to label it thus is to lose all credibility vis a vis any legitimate the OP has with respect to how the matter was handled.

FYI, OP, be very careful about which card you use to set up your Sail and Sign card when you go on the cruise. Have you read your cruise contract? You've given Carnival implicit permission to charge certain fees to your card without asking you first.

Yes you are correct that the OP asked and was granted an extension.

What is incorrect is the fact the OP did not plan to use a different card. She wanted to use the card she initially put the deposit on.

Instead they put it on a card she used on a previous cruise and has since given it to her son to use who is/was away at school.

Where did CCL get the credit card numbers to charge the card if they don't keep numbers on file unless of course the OP gave them the card numbers by mistake and forgot she gave them permission to autopay at final payment even though she just called to get an extension. I don't believe that scenario for a minute but it's all speculation.

Bill

My planner charged me for final payment. He said he spoke to another planner and they said I gave permission to auto pay and I told him no I didn't give permission. And he as my planner should of called me. And ok also spoke to him last thursday telling him I was going to pay on friday so if we already had this convo why would my planner do this.

Sent from my PC36100 using Forums mobile app

How would WE know what and why the planner did what he/she did?

No I am not wrong, we called in on the 27th to have our final payment moved from the 29th to the 1st (payday) and was told no it could not be moved, or extended, we could go and not pay by the 29th and it could be canceled, not that it would be canceled, but that it could be, they would not agree to an extention.

So do not tell people they are wrong, when it happened first hand to them, and you were not in the conversation.

I think the PVP's do a bad job explaining what will or could happen, and it causes problems and missunderstandings.

Well, aren't you the pot calling the kettle black :banghead:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Yes you are correct that the OP asked and was granted an extension.

What is incorrect is the fact the OP did not plan to use a different card. She wanted to use the card she initially put the deposit on.

Instead they put it on a card she used on a previous cruise and has since given it to her son to use who is/was away at school.

Where did CCL get the credit card numbers to charge the card if they don't keep numbers on file unless of course the OP gave them the card numbers by mistake and forgot she gave them permission to autopay at final payment even though she just called to get an extension. I don't believe that scenario for a minute but it's all speculation.

Bill

But I do believe that is what happen. The OP gave permission for autopay final payment at booking. Forgot about it. Then called for extension, however computer did reauthorized auto-payment. As for credit card OP at some point gave CCL the info or they would not have had it..

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

But I do believe that is what happen. The OP gave permission for autopay final payment at booking. Forgot about it. Then called for extension, however computer did reauthorized auto-payment. As for credit card OP at some point gave CCL the info or they would not have had it..

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Where's the PVP screwed up theory and put the OP an autopay without the OP's permission. If we're theorizing here let's give some benefit of the doubt to the consumer before we just assume that they're to blame.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

My PVP has always asked me for my pin number whenever I made a payment ,sounds like someone on their end screwed up.

My PVP also asks me for my PIN number as well as my CC number each time I make a payment. Sounds a little suspect to me.... IJS :cool:

Archived