Should I attach a clothes line out on my verandah?

AndrewM

Almost forgot... so the room stew doesn't take the line down, we hang our wind chimes up to remind him/her :p;):rolleyes:

tibbelineuphigh400.jpg

2dvv6s9.jpg

Wow! Not only does that make a balcony look tacky, but that wind chime probably drives the neighbors nuts. Oh well. As long as one gets what they want, why care about the rules or the neighbors? :rolleyes:

Don't get the tacky comments. After all who can see your balcony on a sea day except you!

We have cruised 15 times with 2 adults and a child - we oftern have cruises of 14 days and we have never used the laundry service. We fly from Australi so packing big is not an option- 23 kg and that is it.

We ar excellent hand washes and if you do it every night and hang it in the shower or occasionally the balcony on a sea day - you will be fine.

Jennie

I just found out that I can't bring an iron or a garment steamer and that i have to send my clothes out to be laundered on Celebrity! Panic! I've never been on a ship like that!

I didn't budget for this and am wondering if anyone has tips on not blowing all my OBC on laundering fees.

I am willing to scrub my clothes in the sink and tie up a rope on my Verandah, old Italian style so you can all see my colorful underwear...if that's an option...

Lol, that's ok Andrew, they will let you take out a second mortgage. You might budget about $35 depending on the length of your cruise.

They have the hooks in the shower - you just have to bring the clothes line!! Mine is a travel one which is elastic.

Thanks for the tip, Christine. I guess I never noticed the hooks on the Eclipse since I knew there was no retractable line. Must put a "travel line" on my packing list! :)

I did it on our first cruise. I don't think the wife was thrilled but she indulges me. I kind of thought it was funny.

It was not that I was cleaning my cloths I just wanted them to dry before I packed them away. I brought way more cloths than I would ever need on that cruise. Now I bring way less and use the laundry service. If I need my cloths to dry I bring a few laundry clips and clip them to the backs of the chairs on the veranda.

attachment.php?attachmentid=180414&d=1294950512

OMG, that's hilarious! Yet it looks like you were seaside so little chance of passerbys shaking their heads in dismay.

So Andrew you have no shame? Pity. :D

And actually on one of my earlier cruises, I was so clueless?, classless?...that I even went out on deck in my bathrobe so we could get pics and couldn't understand why people were shaking their heads at me.

attachment.php?attachmentid=281788&stc=1&d=1375941597

I, too, don't like to have to spend my OBC on laundry and usually take too many clothes. I also don't want to spend time each evening washing out my undies, but I have washed a few pair! I agree about investing in some travel clothing...the fabrics literally do not wrinkle and feel good against the skin. Many have UV protection. The pants that zip-off to shorts are a little dorky, but they work. We also purchased a travel vest and jacket from Scottevest...check their website. Their clothing has a lot of internal pockets (one large enough for an ipad) that aren't bulky and great for areas where pickpockets are a problem. Using the Wrinkle Release spray is a good suggestion that was mentioned as long as

Below is a link on how to pack your carry-on and it's really pretty amazing how much clothing really can be packed:

~~Judy

Thanks for the link Judy! I did pick up some Downy Wrinkle Releaser today and I saw some travel clothing, not unlike those you mention at Tilley's. I think I'll pick them up on the weekend.

Lol, that's ok Andrew, they will let you take out a second mortgage. You might budget about $35 depending on the length of your cruise.

If i can do it for as little as $35, then I really have caused a lot of fuss for nothing, haven't I!

Still, I've gathered some great tips using hooks and hangars in the washroom and your packing vid makes a nice addition to Judy's. I think I'm geared to deal with all of this sensibly now.

Thanks to all who offered their tips and suggestions. I'm getting a little drunk happy excited now. We fly to Europe for our first leg on Monday, then on the Reflection in 10 days! Whooo hoo!

I'm not sure if the photo will be too clear, but look closely for the portable clothesline, complete with "smalls"!. This was the Solstice whilst in port at the Sydney terminal. Everyone was having a good old laugh at this!

20130305_182032-1_zps446fea18.jpg

Wow! Not only does that make a balcony look tacky, but that wind chime probably drives the neighbors nuts. Oh well. As long as one gets what they want, why care about the rules or the neighbors? :rolleyes:

You didn't "get it" I guess. :rolleyes::p:D

BOURNEWANDERING

Make your own Downey wrinkle release

1/3 part fabric softener (I use Downey, but any liquid fabric softener will work)

1/3 part white vinegar

1/3 part water.

pour into spray bottle and shake.

Hang clothes up and spray lightly. But it's not as easy as it sounds. The wrinkles don't "fall out." Downey instructs you to spray the garment, and w/ your hands, sort

of stretch the wrinkles out, tugging and stretching the fabric kind of north and south, then east and west, just in all directions 'til the wrinkles come out.

I used to take Downey wrinkle release. I found that getting that tiny bathroom all steamy from a hot shower and leaving the clothes in the shower (turned off of course) for a while worked better than I had anticipated. Even my BF's tux came out unwrinkled.

:D Apparently lots of folks came on a cruise to spend their time washing clothes! ;)

LuLu

~~~~

Maybe there can be a "designated" wash-day onboard. Post it in the Daily. That way all the balconies would look uniform...just like the this photo. And to further boost revenue...have laundry soap and clothes pins, half-off that day!

I can just envision the next Celebrity brochure..."Cruise with Celebrity...the height of tackniness".

I have ALWAYS brought along my handheld clothes steamer on every cruise! I had no idea they were not permitted. Irons, of course, but steamers? I've left it on the table to cool off many times, so I know the steward has seen it. I was never told it was not allowed. Learn something new every day.

(Unless the OP was joking about this as well as the clothes line.)

If i can do it for as little as $35, then I really have caused a lot of fuss for nothing, haven't I!

Still, I've gathered some great tips using hooks and hangars in the washroom and your packing vid makes a nice addition to Judy's. I think I'm geared to deal with all of this sensibly now.

Thanks to all who offered their tips and suggestions. I'm getting a little drunk happy excited now. We fly to Europe for our first leg on Monday, then on the Reflection in 10 days! Whooo hoo!

Personally i think it will be more than 35 when they charge like 2.00 for a pair of underwear lol.

You're going to have a great time. The Reflection is a beautiful ship, and your ports are all wonderful. I'm totally jealous (though not in the heat of august i have to admit, i went in october lol)

Nobody has mentioned the brand ebags so I'll throw in a little shout out for them. I use them on every cruise - their ebags packing cubes. Similar to the things people mentioned earlier. I love them, plus if you are stopping along the way you can pack an ebag for each stop so you dont have to unpack your entire suitcase to find what you need. It's awesome!

I just found out that I can't bring an iron or a garment steamer and that i have to send my clothes out to be laundered on Celebrity! Panic! I've never been on a ship like that!

I didn't budget for this and am wondering if anyone has tips on not blowing all my OBC on laundering fees.

I am willing to scrub my clothes in the sink and tie up a rope on my Verandah, old Italian style so you can all see my colorful underwear...if that's an option...

Downey has a great de-wrinkling product and it does work! Just spray the clothes and hang.

Oops just saw all the other answers. hahaha, gotta get used to this fun board!

Man, that would realllly look tacky. Why don't you just pack a washer and dryer instead. :p

Short of packing a washer and dryer, I have (had) these little travel clothes lines with suction cups on the end. My son borrowed them for his honeymoon in Europe a few months ago and I hope to see him to get them back. Last time we sailed on Celebrity, they did have a retractable clothesline in the shower. I used one of two things to hand launder....Woolite makes little packets of Woolite that you can re-seal. Or, if you want really sweet smelling clothes, the small bottles of body wash worked well for laundering personal items. We also pack our clothes in the suitcase with tissue paper between them. It tends to keep the wrinkles out.

There was a clothesline in the bathroom on the Summit.

Actually, we DID bring a clothesline - small round plastic with clothespin attached. We used it on the balcony (in the corner) for drippy bathing suits ONLY on the 2 1/2 days we were docked in Bermuda.

Tacky? Maybe but no one could see it. :)

Man, that would realllly look tacky. Why don't you just pack a washer and dryer instead. :p

This is probably a joke post but the scary thing is there are people who would actually string a line on their veranda. :eek: In an earlier post I had suggested that Andrew do his wash in the pool and dry it on the back of the pool chairs.

Archived