Should I attach a clothes line out on my verandah?

AndrewM

I just found out that I can't bring an iron or a garment steamer and that i have to send my clothes out to be laundered on Celebrity! Panic! I've never been on a ship like that!

I didn't budget for this and am wondering if anyone has tips on not blowing all my OBC on laundering fees.

I am willing to scrub my clothes in the sink and tie up a rope on my Verandah, old Italian style so you can all see my colorful underwear...if that's an option...

I am willing to scrub my clothes in the sink and tie up a rope on my Verandah, old Italian style so you can all see my colorful underwear...if that's an option...

Man, that would realllly look tacky. Why don't you just pack a washer and dryer instead. :p

Man, that would realllly look tacky. Why don't you just pack a washer and dryer instead. :p

Well there is nothing in the FAQ, that says I can't! And all 08/19 passengers are welcome to come up to my cabin and use it, as long as you come bearing martinis!

Clothes lines & stringing clothes on balcony chairs or railings is not permitted. You can hang a few things in the shower to dry. Better yet, just plan to spend a few bucks on cleaning. Dry cleaning is actually cheaper than my local place here in Atlanta.

Isn't there typically a clothesline in the bathroom? Maybe I'm mistaken and saw that on another cruise line...

No, apparently there is not a clothes line in the washroom. HAL and NCL both had one.

Take a bigger suitcase. If you can afford a balcony you should be able to afford a bigger suitcase.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

We have 3 other flights around Europe before and after the trip that restrict weight to 15 KG.

I'm really looking on tips to get rid of wrinkles, quick washing tips etc..I will use the laundering. I just know that my wife will spend in the hundreds if I don't keep an eye on her.

No, apparently there is not a clothes line in the washroom. HAL and NCL both had one.

Perhaps that's where I've seen it. We always overpack, so we rarely have the need to have clothes laundered. I also vote for taking a larger suitcase!

I just found out that I can't bring an iron or a garment steamer and that i have to send my clothes out to be laundered on Celebrity! Panic! I've never been on a ship like that!

I didn't budget for this and am wondering if anyone has tips on not blowing all my OBC on laundering fees.

Order one less drink per night and you will pay for all your laundry needs.

Hanging clothes on your balcony is not permitted, it is tacky looking, and it is at risk of blowing off onto someone else's balcony - "Where the $*?&^% did these tighty whities come from? Marge, are you having an affair with that pool butler?" - or into the ocean where some animal or fish may swallow it and die.

My suggestion would be to do your laundry in the pool and then put the wet clothes over the deck chairs. That won't be anymore tacky than putting a clothes line on your balcony. I'm sure once it's notice you will be TOLD to take it down. Are you for real?:D

Just get some Downy Wrinkle Releaser; cheap, easy to pack, permitted, quick to use and effective.

Alternately you can use the steam from your shower to smooth out wrinkles.

Also, try packing your clothes inside the plastic covering dry cleaners use; this greatly decreases the amount of wrinkles that occur during travel - so lessens the need of ironing in the first place.

As others have said, hanging clothes on your balcony (or leaving any items on your balcony unattended) is prohibited; while I agree that it looks tacky, the overarching reason is it poses a fire hazard.

We have 3 other flights around Europe before and after the trip that restrict weight to 15 KG.

I'm really looking on tips to get rid of wrinkles, quick washing tips etc..I will use the laundering. I just know that my wife will spend in the hundreds if I don't keep an eye on her.

:) It won't be hundreds. On an 18 night cruise we used the laundry/dry cleaning service liberally and it wasn't anymore then it would be at home.

While you may think your clothing will dry quickly rigged on the veranda, this is not the case. And, the salt air isn't a bounty sheet either. Your discomfort as you dress two days later will be noticeable!

Depending on the length of your cruise, you may, and I reiterate, may, receive a fill-a-bag special. The laundry special is generally offered up until the last three days of the cruise. The wash and fold service works well for items that don't need pressing.

I always take plastic clothes pins to use in the shower, but then, we usually sail on M class ships. If you are on an S class you can rig something in the shower with a couple of the 3 M sticky hooks and a light weight string. My stash of laundry stuff weighs less than a pound including Woolite powder.

order one less drink per night and you will pay for all your laundry needs.

Hanging clothes on your balcony is not permitted, it is tacky looking, and it is at risk of blowing off onto someone else's balcony - "where the $*?&^% did these tighty whities come from? Marge, are you having an affair with that pool butler?" - or into the ocean where some animal or fish may swallow it and die.

hehehe

My suggestion would be to do your laundry in the pool and then put the wet clothes over the deck chairs. That won't be anymore tacky than putting a clothes line on your balcony. I'm sure once it's notice you will be TOLD to take it down. Are you for real?

Trust me Chicago Boy. I have no shame!

Just get some Downy Wrinkle Releaser; cheap, easy to pack, permitted, quick to use and effective. Alternately you can use the steam from your shower to smooth out wrinkles.

Also, try packing your clothes inside the plastic covering dry cleaners use; this greatly decreases the amount of wrinkles that occur during travel - so lessens the need of ironing in the first place.

Great tips! Thanks Gonzo. I’ll pick up some Wrinkle Releaser tomorrow.

Eagle Creek Pack it folders work great..

I just googled Eagle Creek Pack it folders. Those are awesome!

Depending on the length of your cruise, you may, and I reiterate, may, receive a fill-a-bag special. I always take plastic clothes pins to use in the shower...

Well it’s 11 days so hopefully the fill a bag special will be offered! Clothes pins on the packing list!

It won't be hundreds. On an 18 night cruise we used the laundry/dry cleaning service liberally and it wasn't anymore then it would be at home.

Maybe I’m just panicking. Just figured $2/pair of socks might add up..i’ve decided to budget 100 dollars for the 3 of us.

I just googled Eagle Creek Pack it folders. Those are awesome!

Google HEYS PACKING CUBES in Canada. Same idea...both the cubes and the folders. They are cheaper (half the price), lighter and they work just great. The Bay has them on sale right now. And you can unpack in two minutes...just put your packing cubes in the drawers or the storage over the bed and voila, you'd done! They keep your clothes from wrinkling, and if your don't use something you've brought, it's already folded and packed when you are ready to go home.:p Plus, your clothing is protected from the drawers and shelves, if that matters to you.

Try to develop the quick yank to pull an item out from the middle of the stack. (Put one hand lightly on top of the pile, then use the other hand to pull that blue t-shirt you want out with a quick yank.) All the other t-shirts (for example) will stay neatly folded. It's a technique not unlike the method used to pull a tablecloth out from under a set table, with no china flying off the table. Plus, they are made out of recycled soda and water bottles, so you can feel noble and green as well!:D

Well it’s 11 days so hopefully the fill a bag special will be offered! Clothes pins on the packing list!

The bag special is offered on most cruises, but the prices can differ from cruise to cruise.

Maybe I’m just panicking. Just figured $2/pair of socks might add up..i’ve decided to budget 100 dollars for the 3 of us.

On S-class ships, there are two hooks in the shower that are not far enough apart to string a clothesline, but I bring a few wire hangers and hang them over the hooks. I hang a hand towel over each hanger, then place lightweight items on top, and they dry quiet well. There are two hooks on the bathroom door, and the same method works there.

The place that I find things dry the best, though, is in the closet, so I hang a towel-covered hanger in there, and put a few items in before I got to bed, and they are dry by morning. Don't know why this works, but it does.

Note: Always be sure to press any extra moisture out with a towel, of anything that you are intending to dry in your cabin.

I find that Celebrity's laundry does a pretty good job. Just know that what they launder with the "fill-a-bag special" will be laundered and folded, and if you ask for something to be laundered and pay the by-the-piece price, it usually comes back on a hanger and often has been ironed, or that has been my experience.

If you are bringing a suit or jacket, don't have it dry-cleaned before you leave home. Just put it in a plastic bag (since it hasn't been cleaned yet) and give it to your cabin attendant in the afternoon of your first day (before 5:00 pm) and you will have it back in time for formal night.

It is cheaper for us to get my DH's suit or tux dry-cleaned on Celebrity ships than it is at my dry-cleaners here in Vancouver. :D

Who are you flying with in Europe? Ryanair? We have flown with lots of European airlines and have never had a 15K limit. I want to make sure to avoid those guys!

If you are bringing a suit or jacket, don't have it dry-cleaned before you leave home. Just put it in a plastic bag (since it hasn't been cleaned yet) and give it to your cabin attendant in the afternoon of your first day (before 5:00 pm) and you will have it back in time for formal night.

It is cheaper for us to get my DH's suit or tux dry-cleaned on Celebrity ships than it is at my dry-cleaners here in Vancouver. :D

Who are you flying with in Europe? Ryanair? We have flown with lots of European airlines and have never had a 15K limit. I want to make sure to avoid those guys!

Elena you are amazing! I almost wish you'd do a how to video for the clothes line in the washroom or closet! I will stop by the Bay. Hopefully the sale is still on! I'm just bringing one suit and will remember to hand it in immediately after embarkation!

Yes, our flight after disembarkation is Ryanair (Rome to Paris). Our other airlines allow 20 to 30kg. We might just pay extra if we can't keep the weight down.

First, search for the "Modern Butlers" packing tip videos on the internet. Follow their packing procedure but, for economy, replace the tissue paper with opened-up cheap plastic bin liners [trash can liners?]. You will find very few creases in your clothes even if most are kept in the suitcase for a week because of pre-cruise stays.

Second, anything that has creased a little, place on clothes hangers in the bathroom and run a hot shower. As I do the packing, my husband's job is to have a hot shower after we have unpacked!

Third, plan to hand launder only those items that will not matter as far as creases are concerned. Even at home I do not iron items such as underwear and t-shirts as the creases disappear shortly after you put them on due to your body heat. These few items will usually dry overnight/during the day hung in the bathroom on shower fittings/towel rails.

Fourth, stop letting concerns about laundry spoil your enjoyment of your cruise. It would be very hard to run up a bill in the hundreds for laundry. As others have said, it is not expensive.

Sue

We use the ship's hangers with trouser clips and hang on the hooks in the shower!! Dry Tshirts on wire hangers and smooth out when damp, after rolling in a towel to remove excess moisture. Rarely have to use the laundry. For washing powder, use shampoo - job done!!:D:D:D

not gonna happen. underway its a serious hazard and when in port it just looks tacky and the stewards will remove it.

there should be a line in the shower to hang stuff, like underthings

no body cares about wrinkles since no one else can bring a steamer on board either. Febreeze works well at freshening up garments without having to send them out for cleaning.

Archived