Should I attach a clothes line out on my verandah?

AndrewM

I did it on our first cruise. I don't think the wife was thrilled but she indulges me. I kind of thought it was funny.

It was not that I was cleaning my cloths I just wanted them to dry before I packed them away. I brought way more cloths than I would ever need on that cruise. Now I bring way less and use the laundry service. If I need my cloths to dry I bring a few laundry clips and clip them to the backs of the chairs on the veranda.

attachment.php?attachmentid=180414&d=1294950512

My goodness, am I the only one who gets multiple uses out of outer garments? Unless I have a minor tragedy in the dining room, I can, and do, wear shirts, shorts, and slacks more than once. I merely wait a day or two on the very slim chance someone will catch me wearing the same shirt on two consecutive days. I know I'm not alone in doing this. BTW Celebrity laundries do a very nice job at reasonable prices.

there should be a line in the shower to hang stuff, like underthings

And, you're right -- about all the ships except Solstice Class. I find it funny that the ship cabins allegedly designed by women neglected to include a simple retractable clothesline for drying your bathing suit or unmentionables. :rolleyes:

However, REI has a very good travel clothesline -- that works nicely in the standard showers, as well as the suite tub enclosures. :cool:

I just found out that I can't bring an iron or a garment steamer and that i have to send my clothes out to be laundered on Celebrity! Panic! I've never been on a ship like that!

I didn't budget for this and am wondering if anyone has tips on not blowing all my OBC on laundering fees.

I am willing to scrub my clothes in the sink and tie up a rope on my Verandah, old Italian style so you can all see my colorful underwear...if that's an option...

I was in the reflection in July and I took a mini clothes line and some pegs. I ran it between the two chairs when I was in my stateroom. When I went out I toolkit down. Simple.

There's a long rope with colorful flags that extends from bow to aft of the ship. I suggest hanging your clothes on that line. Who will notice? Be sure they are colorful garments so they fit in nicely. Shh, I won't tell!

I always take a couple of plastic coated wire coathangers in my suitcase along with a few clothspins. That way I can hang my" washing" in the shower or bathroom easily. (I have also found that many of the closets have the kind of "nonstealable" hangers that can't be removed)

I did it on our first cruise. I don't think the wife was thrilled but she indulges me. I kind of thought it was funny.

It was not that I was cleaning my cloths I just wanted them to dry before I packed them away. I brought way more cloths than I would ever need on that cruise. Now I bring way less and use the laundry service. If I need my cloths to dry I bring a few laundry clips and clip them to the backs of the chairs on the veranda.

attachment.php?attachmentid=180414&d=1294950512

What are cloths?

When we sailed on Summit, there was a line in the shower, but not on the S-Class Solstice or Equinox - those are the only 3 ships which I can address. My daughter and I did a back to back in Australia and New Zealand, at sea for 30 days, and I hand washed everything - there are lots of towel bars in the bathroom (and actually we had more than usual, as we had an accessible cabin as my daughter my daughter is mobility impaired, needing a walker or a wheelchair). When weather didn't threaten to blow our things overboard, we also hung things on the back bar of the chairs on our veranda - you can't see that from the shore, so no "tacky" element there. Not to get too personal, but lots of clothing items can be reworn, and if need be, the "critical areas" on those items can be washed without having to wash the whole piece of clothing! Too much information :p On principle, I really was not ever going to pay $2 per pair for undies! Yes, I know, being Elite, and even when I was Select, there are good deals on laundry, but 2 women alone, well, it takes a long time to fill up one of those bags - when traveling with my husband and 2 sons, oh yes, then we do take advantage of the laundry deals that are offered, but even then, I still also make use of the bathroom racks and the backs of the chairs on the veranda!

At first I thought your OP was just a "joke", a sarcastistic commentatry on the fact that RCCI/X don't have any self-service laundry facilities on-board. But it appears that you are serious about needing to address the issue of being able to clean some of your clothes during your trip.

Check out the post on this board about tips for packing light -- they have some good info that would apply to your situation.

It is a problem on long trips to balance packing weight limits with what you "really" need.

If you want to avoid using the ship's laundry services:

1. Invest in some travel clothes. There are fabrics that wash easily in a bathroom sink and can be draped over a chair to dry in a relatively short period of time. And they are also fabrics that wash and pack without wrinkles! (Check out TravelSmith and Tilleys for travel specific on-line retailers. Many of the outdoors or athletic brands have similar fabrics).
  2. During the land portion of your trip, locate and use a laundramat. Most hotels will help you find one.
  3. Ship some of your clothes to your pre-sail hotel.
  4. Resign yourself to "stinking" -- it is a great way to get seating in the theatre -- stroll down to the area where you want to sit, and then yawn and stretch (raising your arms up high) and in moments, you'll be all alone :D

My goodness, am I the only one who gets multiple uses out of outer garments? Unless I have a minor tragedy in the dining room, I can, and do, wear shirts, shorts, and slacks more than once. I merely wait a day or two on the very slim chance someone will catch me wearing the same shirt on two consecutive days. I know I'm not alone in doing this. BTW Celebrity laundries do a very nice job at reasonable prices.

no you are not the only one. I bring 2 pairs of slacks for non formal nights with twice as many tops. for daytime, I bring mix and match separates that can be enhanced with other items. my Caribbean wardrobe has things like a 3 piece gauze set: a blouse, drawstring pants and a tube skirt than can double as a short dress. add a 2 or 3 tops that coordinate and I can get a week's worth of day wear out of them. a bottle of Febreeze keeps things fresh after a long sweaty day of touring plus they are light enough to rinse out in the bathtub with some shampoo and dry overnight if needed.

even my formal wear is the same dress.. one night I add a velvet jacket and the other i tend to just toss on a scarf of the extra blingy jewelry.

I, too, don't like to have to spend my OBC on laundry and usually take too many clothes. I also don't want to spend time each evening washing out my undies, but I have washed a few pair! I agree about investing in some travel clothing...the fabrics literally do not wrinkle and feel good against the skin. Many have UV protection. The pants that zip-off to shorts are a little dorky, but they work. We also purchased a travel vest and jacket from Scottevest...check their website. Their clothing has a lot of internal pockets (one large enough for an ipad) that aren't bulky and great for areas where pickpockets are a problem. Using the Wrinkle Release spray is a good suggestion that was mentioned as long as you don't have an allergy to the product...you may want to try it before the cruise to assure you don't break out in little red dots from using it.:D Looking back at cruises I remember the people "in" the clothes, not what clothes they were wearing. Well, except for the guy who came to the OceanView cafe in his bathrobe opened to a bare chest and wearing flip flops one morning.:rolleyes:

Below is a link on how to pack your carry-on and it's really pretty amazing how much clothing really can be packed:

~~Judy

We have 3 other flights around Europe before and after the trip that restrict weight to 15 KG.

I'm really looking on tips to get rid of wrinkles, quick washing tips etc..I will use the laundering. I just know that my wife will spend in the hundreds if I don't keep an eye on her.

You could do your laundry on port days on shore. Drop your things off in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon. Or do your own laundry on shore. The "M Class" ship have a clothes line in the shower. Richard

Yes, our flight after disembarkation is Ryanair (Rome to Paris). Our other airlines allow 20 to 30kg. We might just pay extra if we can't keep the weight down.

Just a note regarding Ryanair - you should try to prepay your checked baggage on-line. We didn't one time and the check bag fee was about double what we could have prepaid.

Safe travels!

On our last cruise, I noted that there were no clothes or towels on any of the balconies of our Celebrity ship. However, I looked across the pier and there was another cruise ship that had MANY balconies with large beach towels, bathing suits, clothes hanging over chairs and the railing. Looked real tacky. I figured that they did not offer beach towels or laundry services to their passengers.

The cost of laundry service on Celebrity is generally comparable to that in our area.

You are not alone! Clothing that is worn for only a few hours in the evening certainly gets worn again, and even possibly, again. I absolutely wear things more than once. And I agree, X's laundry does a very nice job! We usually send out laundry twice on a 14 night cruise. Being Elite is great in that respect. :)

I also agree that the "S" class ships should have the clothes line in the shower like the "M" class ships. So convenient for underwear and bathing suits.

If for no other reason ... you don't want to hang your clothes on your balcony because they WILL get salt spray no matter how high up your balcony is.

Check out the balcony rail, chairs, and table in the morning if you don't believe me ....

:eek: Salty undies!

LuLu

~~~~

Trust me Chicago Boy. I have no shame!

Great tips! Thanks Gonzo. I’ll pick up some Wrinkle Releaser tomorrow.

I just googled Eagle Creek Pack it folders. Those are awesome!

Well it’s 11 days so hopefully the fill a bag special will be offered! Clothes pins on the packing list!

Maybe I’m just panicking. Just figured $2/pair of socks might add up..i’ve decided to budget 100 dollars for the 3 of us.

So Andrew you have no shame? Pity. :D

Isn't there typically a clothesline in the bathroom? Maybe I'm mistaken and saw that on another cruise line...

Not on the Reflection apparently.

My suggestion would be to do your laundry in the pool and then put the wet clothes over the deck chairs. That won't be anymore tacky than putting a clothes line on your balcony. I'm sure once it's notice you will be TOLD to take it down. Are you for real?:D

Eww?

If you are not planning on using the onboard laundry service, I've heard good things about rubber travel clothes lines. Perhaps you can figure a way to hang stuff in the shower or find counter space to dry items flat on a towel. Or just bring some cheap plastic hangers - the showers have to have a curtain rod, right? I can't imagine such a tiny bathroom accommodating a swing door for a shower or having a shower large enough for a sliding door.

Because we pack lite, we always hang sink-swish stuff on the balcony. :rolleyes

ctibbelineuphigh400.jpg

Almost forgot... so the room stew doesn't take the line down, we hang our wind chimes up to remind him/her :p;):rolleyes:

2dvv6s9.jpg

And, you're right -- about all the ships except Solstice Class. I find it funny that the ship cabins allegedly designed by women neglected to include a simple retractable clothesline for drying your bathing suit or unmentionables. :rolleyes:

It was more important to have a bar for shaving... or can "small clothes" be hung on that bar...

You don't think that working women or the typical housewife designed the interior... those designers have staff for dealing with mundane chores...

You are not alone! Clothing that is worn for only a few hours in the evening certainly gets worn again, and even possibly, again. I absolutely wear things more than once. And I agree, X's laundry does a very nice job! We usually send out laundry twice on a 14 night cruise. Being Elite is great in that respect. :)

I also agree that the "S" class ships should have the clothes line in the shower like the "M" class ships. So convenient for underwear and bathing suits.

They have the hooks in the shower - you just have to bring the clothes line!! Mine is a travel one which is elastic.

Archived