Tips for Bringing Wine Onboard

We bought a bottle of wine in the MDR. $40. There was about two thirds of a glass left in the bottle. Waiter asked if we'd liked it saved for the next night. $10 corkage fee was added to our bill. I WAS PISSED.

That should not be the case. We always buy a bottle of wine at dinner and frequently have a few glasses left in the bottle. They will save it for you for the next night (NO charge), or you can pour a few glasses and take it with you, or if the bottle is really full and you want to drink it later, you can take the bottle with you.

Thanks - liquor store brings up results, I'll give wine shops a try as well. I'll be going from Fort Lauderdale so will keep an eye out in other shops too.

Look for a "Total Wine" near your hotel in Fort Lauderdale....there are at least two of them there. If you google it, you can get a complete list of all the wines they offer. You can even pre-order them and pick them up when you get there!

Edited by suzyed

OP. I see you are sailing out of Port Canaveral. Last month the porters told us that any wine HAD to be in our carry on bags or otherwise our bags might not make it on the ship. Never heard that before, especially as we thought luggage was scanned on the ship! We've sailed from PC prior to last month and since the new wine allowance, and never heard that the bottles had to be in the carry on. We had put them in our luggage as we did not want to carry them around. They made us open the bags and take the wine with us.

I was tempted to test their claim, especially since the wine was with our snorkel gear and we could survive if they never allowed it on board. We did not chance it when we realized I had some other items in that bag we wanted to have with us.

I may test it next time to see if their claim is real or hot air.

In any case, to be on the safe side, bring it with you when you board. If you carry it on, you should be fine with normal store wrapping.

Cheers

M

This was our experience on the July 19th Grandeur sailing out of Baltimore. We had put our wine in our checked bags. As we were dropping off our luggage, the porters insisted that no wine could be in our checked bags. We weren't about to dig it out, so we just took our chances. We did have to go to the naughty area to claim some of our luggage and remove the bottles and show them what we had.

• 5 months later...
I have a rolling wine bag...it holds 6 bottles, which I will use on our next cruise.

Also, we have used Wine diapers...even if the bottle breaks it will hold all the liquid from the bottle.

http://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Reusable-Absorbent-Eco-Friendly-Accessory/dp/B00308FONW

If anyone is still looking for Wine Diapers, the company has renamed them "JetBags". They are $8 for 3 reusable bags on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Padded-Absorbent-Bio-Degradable-Accessory/dp/B004FLK2IU/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1389671463&sr=1-1&keywords=jetbag

Has anyone ever brought a box of wine onboard successfully? Also has anyone ever brought liquor onboard and were turned in by the room steward?

You are only allowed the 2 bottles of wine. Anything else will likely be confiscated. And is has to be wine specifically, not liquor.

Bags will be x-rayed at security.

We brought 2 bottles in our carry on. We wrapped them in bubble wrap and then put them in a hard wine bottle gift box so if it got banged around they wouldn't break. I also brought my own bottle opener in my purse.

Edited by missy1122

OP. I see you are sailing out of Port Canaveral. Last month the porters told us that any wine HAD to be in our carry on bags or otherwise our bags might not make it on the ship. Never heard that before, especially as we thought luggage was scanned on the ship! We've sailed from PC prior to last month and since the new wine allowance, and never heard that the bottles had to be in the carry on. We had put them in our luggage as we did not want to carry them around. They made us open the bags and take the wine with us.

I was tempted to test their claim, especially since the wine was with our snorkel gear and we could survive if they never allowed it on board. We did not chance it when we realized I had some other items in that bag we wanted to have with us.

I may test it next time to see if their claim is real or hot air.

In any case, to be on the safe side, bring it with you when you board. If you carry it on, you should be fine with normal store wrapping.

Cheers

M

Almost 100 percent sure they were lying to you. Maybe he was jonzin' for a drink.

• 3 months later...
Yes - but if you had brought a bottle of wine on the ship and had it opened or opened it yourself on one night, didn't finish it and brought it back into the MDR with you another night I don't think you'd be charged a corkerage fee.

I don't understand.

You opened a bottle and didn't finish it? ;)

The first time we took wine I packed it in a suitcase and I put a tag on it saying 2 bottles of wine. No problem, it was delivered to our room with our other luggage. Last time I carried it in the bag I always carry on.

Great idea. Definitely worth trying to help avoid a trip to the naughty room. Totally doing this on our July cruise.

Anyone have tips for bringing wine onboard? I'm sort of a wine newbie, so I'm game for any tips you have! :o

I've heard that it needs to be in a carry-on, rather than checked luggage. Obviously, it needs to be in a container or bag so that you can watch to make sure it doesn't get crushed.

Can you take a corkscrew? Are there travel corkscrews?

Does anyone have a great travel bag? I just ordered a picnic cooler thing from Thirty-one that should hold at least one bottle, I hope. That way I can put ice in it and sit it in the shower (in case of leaks) to chill during the day.

Anything else?

sorry wrong post

Edited by suzyed
put on the wrong post

I used a tip I got from the boards. We bought kids arm pool floaties from the dollar store and used them to cushion the bottles in our carry on. Worked like a charm and even kept the bottles chilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm just wondering how do they track the per-stateroom limit of two bottles - do they note it on the computer somewhere, or are they simply expecting people to check in together?

Also, one of our groups staterooms will have our 16 and 18 year old kids in it - will their stateroom count for the "limit" and thus be allowed two bottles as well? (and No, I'm not going to swap one of the older adults into the room just for the wine).

And what is the drinking age on board anyway? My 18 yo DD was curious, not that we would encourage that, but she is starting her first year at McGill in less than a month after the cruise where (in Montreal) the drinking age is 18 and pub crawls are an official activity of Freshman Orientation!

...And what is the drinking age on board anyway? My 18 yo DD was curious, not that we would encourage that, but she is starting her first year at McGill in less than a month after the cruise where (in Montreal) the drinking age is 18 and pub crawls are an official activity of Freshman Orientation!

Drinking age for US based cruises is 21.

Does anyone know if there are regulations from airlines or RCI regarding carrying prescription RX's in a daily travel container....not the original container? I could carry an insurance or pharmacy report. Thanks.

My group includes six people in three staterooms, so that's six bottles of wine total. As we're physically going through security to board the ship, do we have to carry the bottles in pairs by stateroom, so they can verify it's only two bottles per stateroom? Or can we have all six in one container as long as we're all six going through security together?

Also, one of our groups staterooms will have our 16 and 18 year old kids in it - will their stateroom count for the "limit" and thus be allowed two bottles as well? (and No, I'm not going to swap one of the older adults into the room just for the wine).

I just swapped the names on our connecting rooms for the wine. :p When I made the booking, I fully intended on getting a single room for 4 people. But the price wasn't that much more for connecting rooms so I spontaneously booking two rooms without thinking through all the implications. The agent said it was fine to have the two kids registered in one room, so that's what we went with. Then I got e-mail addressed to my 12 year old as the official owner of the room and decided I wanted it switched. Would they also be expecting him to present as the owner of the room upon embarkation? So I phoned RCCL back and while we were swapping my husband and daughter, I confirmed that the only way we could bring 4 bottles of wine was to have someone over 21 registered in each room. You can swap rooms once you're on ship.

My group includes six people in three staterooms, so that's six bottles of wine total. As we're physically going through security to board the ship, do we have to carry the bottles in pairs by stateroom, so they can verify it's only two bottles per stateroom? Or can we have all six in one container as long as we're all six going through security together?

No answers for this?

• 2 weeks later...

What is the most common type of carry on people use for their wine bottles? For instance, if I board early and am carrying around two wine bottles before I have access to my cabin, what is the best bag for that? A small rolling suitcase, a backpack, tote bag? It obviously varies by person, but I would like to know what has worked best for people in the past.