Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Me too.

Very moving. Except Blair. His attendance is an insult.

We are so lucky to have a Royal Family.

I agree about Blair. I try not to look at the man.

Our Royal Family are a credit to our country. Today security was on high alert l believe.

As l look at the Cenotaph I am always amazed at the spirit and devotion of the veterans and at times wonder what they think.

To me Blair goes way beyond having chutzpah; I can't bear to look at him or the wife either.

The son and wife came for lunch - surprise, I did a coronation chicken! Anyway, though they hope to move they do not have to, so are fairly laid back about the process, and their lovely (but again quirky) cottage has just gone on the market. All the family seem to fall for nice but not easily sellable houses, including me and DH, though we will not be selling ours; that will be down to the young ones when we pop our clogs or go to God's waiting room.

I do hope Spinnaker has reached his destination, and that we will hear from him. Also, though money is a taboo subject here (thanks to me) I do hope S that you did not lose out on your cancelled cruise. I get the impression that Silversea is the one line which does not punish singles unduly financially - to have to pay 200% as on many lines is outrageous.

Regards to all coolers, LL

To me Blair goes way beyond having chutzpah; I can't bear to look at him or the wife either.

The son and wife came for lunch - surprise, I did a coronation chicken! Anyway, though they hope to move they do not have to, so are fairly laid back about the process, and their lovely (but again quirky) cottage has just gone on the market. All the family seem to fall for nice but not easily sellable houses, including me and DH, though we will not be selling ours; that will be down to the young ones when we pop our clogs or go to God's waiting room.

I do hope Spinnaker has reached his destination, and that we will hear from him. Also, though money is a taboo subject here (thanks to me) I do hope S that you did not lose out on your cancelled cruise. I get the impression that Silversea is the one line which does not punish singles unduly financially - to have to pay 200% as on many lines is outrageous.

Regards to all coolers, LL

Sounds like a lovely day LL......I'm so looking forward to spending more Sundays with my daughter and SIL as they'll only be three miles from me soon!

I'll hopefully not lose out too much with the cancellation, I'm well insured.

SS have been very good with providing all the relevant documents for my claim.

I have found them excellent with the single fares, if you recall when l made final payment they reduced the single fare the same day and they actually refunded me the difference.....quite a substantial difference too!

Between Silversea and my TA I really do get some excellent solo deals...:D

S:)

I'm still here but we're up to our necks in wall rebuilding and making numerous cups of tea etc - post tree felling!

Losing a battle with squirrels who are not content to just dig numerous holes in the lawn to hide their spoils they have now turned to my tubs and are turfing all the soil out - grrr

Little gourmet snack for my cousin this evening - gammon with a pearl onion sauce, parsnips, roast spuds, carrots (for the boys I can't stand them), broc, cauli and beans. Few nice shrimps for appetizer with my secret sauce and cheater for dessert with a lemon tart from Sainsburys. Cousin loves it and I send the remains home with him!

Mulling over two cruises at the moment - both B2B's in the Med on Crystal (whoops). Going to make our minds up tomorrow.

Mary

I think what surprises Americans but is something us Europeans are use to is that whilst Europe is really small, the characteristics of each nation are so completely different. People hate generalisations but basically most are pretty accurate. Traveling through some airports like CDG is always generally a trauma.

UKCruiseJeff: As a generalisation' date=' Americans seem to admire success and therefore discuss it much more openly than brits. However, as they are also often fiercely competitive, there often seems to me to be a need for many I meet to quickly and firmly establish themselves in a pecking order when they meet others. I concluded some time ago that there was a lot of [b']similarities with competitiveness and pond life. Competitive people like being in a pond where they are the biggest fish[/b]. If they are not, they move away and look for a different pond. Competitive people often do not like being in a pond where there are bigger fish. None of this bothers me. I just want to chat about anything un-business or un-politics or un-religion orientated. Jeff

UKCruiseJeff: We are so lucky to have a Royal Family.

specialcruisegirl: Our Royal Family are a credit to our country. Today security was on high alert l believe. As l look at the Cenotaph I am always amazed at the spirit and devotion of the veterans and at times wonder what they think.

Appreciate so much these interesting' date=' varied and thoughtful comments about life, values, national traits, etc., by Jeff and others Not sure I agree 100% on everything, but it all helps spur thinking, considerations for the glorious and challenging variations in this world.

Looked at some of the visuals about the Queen, the ceremonies on WWI, etc., during the past week. Shocked by the plot against the Queen's life. Fortunately, it was foiled by British security!! [b']Yes, the Queen adds so much "class"[/b] to the UK, its history, great traditions, etc. Not a big fan of Prince Charlie (nor his current wife). Think William, Kate and the newly-born George are super wonderful!!!

For life in the Midwest of America, below are three visual samples.

Was busy with work/media things this past week. BUT, getting caught up now on a nice, sunny day in Ohio after our OSU Buckeyes whipped Michigan State last night on national TV. That game featured our version of college "football". Great fun here in the "colonies" with this version of kicking, running, passing, tackling, etc.

We are now at only 77 days until our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing on the Silversea Silver Cloud. Fun doing that future research and planning, but I need to finalize a new Passport, Brazil Visa, etc.!! Lots to do, plus three upcoming trips in the next two months to be in Charlottesville, Va. (home area of Presidents Jefferson, Madison and Monroe) where our son, his wife and two grandson live.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 85,097 views for this fun posting.

Here are our English Labrador "pups", Roxie (age 11, Black Lab) and Rudy (age 8, Yellow Lab), enjoying the sun through the windows of my study and sleeping "back-to-back". They liked the oriental rug, etc. Classy!! Notice Roxie's grey trim on her face?:

Nov14ShotsA3_zpse561e445.jpg

Here are some of the fall colors at our home in a large planter next to the front door.:

Nov14ShotsA2_zps91cfb49a.jpg

It was the "girls weekend" at our house. I got kicked out for the night. My wife (on the left) and six other high school classmates were at our house last night and this morning. Here are five of them pictured in front of our Euro-style home with some nice fall colors showing. Earlier this year, her high school 50th class reunion was held and many of the girls had not seen each other in years. They super enjoyed this get-together and super "gab-fest". I stayed with friends to watch the OSU football game Saturday night.:

Nov14ShotsA1_zpse603aac6.jpg

i didn't update. we are on the spirit. of course the air france flight had a broken flight attendant seat that had to be fixed before we took off. at one point i heard the captain say in french and very hushed tones, that the plane would not be going. i watched the flight attendants consulting their timetables...ARGHHHHHHHH!!!

ok things could be worse. It was finally fixed and we arrived at the hotel at around 7:30 pm and crashed. Our room overlooked La Rambla and had a window that opened, which was lovely after about 5 am when the passersby quieted down briefly. Sunday dawned and we repacked a few things, showered and felt quite refreshed. So much better to arrive the day before instead of the day of the cruise.

We boarded without any problem! Lovely to attend the meet and greet, put our CC names with real names and faces and to reunite with others with whom we have cruised before. Just wonderful people.

As far as the income question, i just follow my mother-in-law's lead, when she was asked a question about income she would either not answer, or say "enough". IMO, it isn't anybody's business and is intrusive.

hope all coolers are well and i do appreciate the concern.

we are here in Valencia. Its quite cold.We may just stay aboard as we have been here before.

Hi Jeff

Are you heading to Singapore soon, I recall from chats some time ago you maybe about now?

We are looking forward to five nights there, ended up,booking the Garden Wing at Shangri La, when we disembark,the Wind on 1 December.

We head to Dubai on Friday to join the Wind on Sunday, sounds like a full cruise but friends already on board tell us it's,all very good.

Hi Jeff

Are you heading to Singapore soon, I recall from chats some time ago you maybe about now?

We are looking forward to five nights there, ended up,booking the Garden Wing at Shangri La, when we disembark,the Wind on 1 December.

We head to Dubai on Friday to join the Wind on Sunday, sounds like a full cruise but friends already on board tell us it's,all very good.

Hi,

Not too long .... mid-January and then in June both for four weeks'ish. Really need some street food injections and our early mornings in Botanic Gardens. Sounds like you booked your Singapore via SS as I think they use that wing?

You enjoy Singapore, It is totally misunderstood and under appreciated. I wish I were there now as we have around a week of rain.

Jeff

i didn't update. we are on the spirit. of course the air france flight had a broken flight attendant seat that had to be fixed before we took off. at one point i heard the captain say in french and very hushed tones, that the plane would not be going. i watched the flight attendants consulting their timetables...ARGHHHHHHHH!!!

ok things could be worse. It was finally fixed and we arrived at the hotel at around 7:30 pm and crashed. Our room overlooked La Rambla and had a window that opened, which was lovely after about 5 am when the passersby quieted down briefly. Sunday dawned and we repacked a few things, showered and felt quite refreshed. So much better to arrive the day before instead of the day of the cruise.

We boarded without any problem! Lovely to attend the meet and greet, put our CC names with real names and faces and to reunite with others with whom we have cruised before. Just wonderful people.

As far as the income question, i just follow my mother-in-law's lead, when she was asked a question about income she would either not answer, or say "enough". IMO, it isn't anybody's business and is intrusive.

hope all coolers are well and i do appreciate the concern.

we are here in Valencia. Its quite cold.We may just stay aboard as we have been here before.

Hi Spinners!

I'm so pleased you're under-way .....

I'm impressed you found a moments peace on the rambles. We only had a couple of nights there and it wasn't quiet for a moment. They are an odd lot those Spanish. They have lunch from 2pm onwards ... then a doze ... then tapas at around 8pm .... then dinner at 10pm .... and they go to clubs at around 2am.. so the old Rambles never quietens down except when they are having their churros and choccy!

Anyway, I know you will be pining for my peas and so we had extra peas for lunch just for you ... and some lovely big juicy prawns and marinara and wine for supper.

7A76BF92-1675-4140-A2E4-C0C04B813E8D.jpg

4DB4F465-1A10-4E64-A4EE-A47C1A6C7818.jpg

Too much to take in on this board! What with Jeff's food, Terry's lovely photos, Sophia's house moving and Mary and her squirrels (we have got one too, just drinking out of our funny fountain feature in the garden). I struggle to cope and carry on with normal life as well.

I hope we are going to hear from Spin soon. Re Barcelona - I have probably already mentioned the lovely hotel we were given lunch in -Casa Fuster - obviously don't know if it is noisy at night, but as it is well north of La Rambla would guess not. Look it up online if you have time, the staff were so smiley, and the building and decor amazing.

Sophia - being Cheshire born and bred, I am nosily asking which area of Cheshire you are moving to (not in detail of course) - south of Manchester, near Chester, or more southerly in the Nantwich area? Or maybe the Wirral. Not only my parents but I think all my grandparents were born in the county. (Cheshire born, Cheshire bred, strong in the arm and weak in the head). That is my excuse anyway.

I apologise as I think I was a bit rude sounding as if I felt it was an American habit to ask people how much they earn - it is a habit of some companies, like Seabourn, and not at all tasteful.

Cold here today, but at least not raining, and the chicken thighs again tonight, with a cheating Waitrose sticky toffee pudding after with cream. Very naughty.

Hello Coolers,

Just been trying to catch up too LL!

It's all go here and we are in the final stages of the move albeit some glitches have reared up which have been challenging this week!

My move will take me south of Chester.....around the North Wales border, so I shall have the best of all worlds....with Chester for shopping and North Wales for some sea air!

The earning question is still quite unnecessary in my opinion....just this week l went on line to order a Christmas gift and they wanted to know my date of birth which l also found invasive.....so they didn't get the order!

Lunch today is a Chinese ready meal from Marks and Sparks.....most of my kitchen is now packed up so I'm making it easy!

Right now I'm wanting for Scottie to beam me up!!

Sophia :)

Yes, Sophia - if you are ever interviewed by a newspaper, or make the news, they insist on putting your age down! D**n intrusive and unnecessary in most cases!

South of Chester and near North Wales sounds lovely - and I envy you especially the shopping etc. in Chester.

LL

Yes, Sophia - if you are ever interviewed by a newspaper, or make the news, they insist on putting your age down! D**n intrusive and unnecessary in most cases!

South of Chester and near North Wales sounds lovely - and I envy you especially the shopping etc. in Chester.

LL

Although we now live in sunny Cyprus we have a holiday home 10 miles from Chester (Frodsham) where we used to live, a lovely part of the world, yes Chester is a beautiful City.

Although we now live in sunny Cyprus we have a holiday home 10 miles from Chester (Frodsham) where we used to live, a lovely part of the world, yes Chester is a beautiful City.

Hey. You haven't time to mess about on the forum. You should be packing!

Hey. You haven't time to mess about on the forum. You should be packing!

Thanks for the tip but that's womens work! I have to get my golf in before we go, may even sign up for the golf excursion in the Amazon (lol) :D

Frodsham is in the vicinity of where I grew up - bike rides round Delamere Forest etc. Went to school in Chester, so I was pretty blase at the time about walking round the old walls to school; thought everyone lived somewhere like that.

Re shopping - Chester more because of the Rows etc. than the actual shops. However, I am lucky enough to live nearer to Lincoln and Newark, which both have attractive old buildings etc., and also some great little boutiques and coffee shops, so do not need to visit Skeggy, Boston etc.

Have a good day Coolers - pouring with rain here.

LL:)

LL and coolers

we have just arrived in Funchal. the weather is lovely, some clouds on the horizon, but it is warm for the first time since the inception of this cruise.

a lot of wave action last night and very early this morning some blowing rain, all of that has passed and the bright new day awaits us. This will be the first time we are going ashore as we signed up for a 4 x 4 jeep tour of the area. Last crossing we spent the time in town walking around and left to our own devices.

LL, we only spent a single night in Barcelona, to unwind and get ready to board the Silver Spirit. I have heard about the hotel you mentioned, perhaps next time we can stay there.

After today we have a good number of sea days before Bermuda. One of the crew advised she feels the weather will be very rough going after Funchal. It is her hunch based on experience I guess.

have a wonderful day all.

Frodsham is in the vicinity of where I grew up - bike rides round Delamere Forest etc. Went to school in Chester, so I was pretty blase at the time about walking round the old walls to school; thought everyone lived somewhere like that.

Re shopping - Chester more because of the Rows etc. than the actual shops. However, I am lucky enough to live nearer to Lincoln and Newark, which both have attractive old buildings etc., and also some great little boutiques and coffee shops, so do not need to visit Skeggy, Boston etc.

Have a good day Coolers - pouring with rain here.

LL:)

I was fortunate enough to be in the Cheshire Police force, my first 8yrs were spent patrolling Chester on foot and on patrol. It was the job of a lifetime, tourists especially Americans loved the British Bobby, had hundreds of photos taken with them, happy days.

I have just been reading and looking at the pictures from JP and Chris on their Istanbul to Athens cruise - wow, they are so adventurous. They put us to shade completely. I am sure their information will be so helpful to any other adventurous souls cruising in the same area. Hats off to them. Do any of you Silversea coolers know them?

I have just been reading and looking at the pictures from JP and Chris on their Istanbul to Athens cruise - wow, they are so adventurous. They put us to shade completely. I am sure their information will be so helpful to any other adventurous souls cruising in the same area. Hats off to them. Do any of you Silversea coolers know them?

Spot on LL. :)

They look like a lovely couple - always smiling and exploring - who would really be fun to be with.

Lunch.

87C5CA36-4ED4-4257-A05E-176FBB1ED511.jpg

FF7BEA88-5E55-41FD-BBFE-81EA450A3862_1.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Good Morning Coolers,

This time of the morning seems to be the only hour or so l get to myself with a nice cuppa before the start of another sorting day with just ten days to go until l leave the old homestead :eek:

Love all the comments about Chester, all true as it's a beautiful city that l know very well, looking forward to indulging in a fine lunch very week at the Grosvenor with the usual champagne cocktail...;)

LL...Lincoln is also a favourite of mine, late DH and l used to go quite regularly to the cathedral quarter.

Spin...really pleased you are enjoying your voyage, hope the sea is kind to you.

Jeff....lovely food pics as usual....still on the fast food here trying to empty the freezer, it will be so lovely to get back to normal. First job after Christmas will be a new kitchen which l shall enjoy planning....so many lovely designs these days.

Happy Sunday

Sophia :)

Too much to take in on this board! What with Jeff's food, Terry's lovely photos, Sophia's house moving and Mary and her squirrels

specialcruisegirl: Good Morning Coolers' date=' [b']Love all the comments about Chester[/b], all true as it's a beautiful city that l know very well, looking forward to indulging in a fine lunch very week at the Grosvenor with the usual champagne cocktail... Happy Sunday Sophia

Appreciate the nice comment and encouragement on my photos. With the all of the mentions on Chester, I went to my photo files and pulled out a few of our favorites from when we visited there in the spring, 2000. Most of the trip was in Ireland. BUT, we had three days in northern Wales. This included visiting Chester and having lunch at the Grosvenor. Great time there and in northern Wales. Chester is so historic and beautiful with its charming architecture.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 163,915 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some of my visual highlights from visiting Chester in 2000. This includes several major streets, Chester Cathedral, a police officer keeping watch, etc. Am I correct that there are all from Chester?:

ChesterUK2000A1_zps9bd71880.jpg

ChesterUK2000A2_zpsb91b4051.jpg

ChesterUK2000A4_zpsf7083baa.jpg

ChesterUK2000A5_zpsf9a4b84a.jpg

ChesterUK2000A3_zpsa5189dbb.jpg