Sun Princess make-over started 9.8.2013

Great news now getting a sushi bar and an International cafe etc.

Should be all over by the time we have our Christmas cruise so our favourite ship (bar the Diamond) should now be even better;);)

Great news now getting a sushi bar and an International cafe etc.

Should be all over by the time we have our Christmas cruise so our favourite ship (bar the Diamond) should now be even better;);)

We like the Sun and her two sisters. We were on the Sun with you for the 47 night Indian Ocean cruise and we were also on for the previous 17-nighter from Sydney to Fremantle. We loved every day of the nine and a half weeks. :D

I know others on this forum don't like these smaller ships, but I didn't find anything I liked better on the Grand.

Let us know about the changes after your next cruise on the Sun.

We like the Sun and her two sisters. We were on the Sun with you for the 47 night Indian Ocean cruise and we were also on for the previous 17-nighter from Sydney to Fremantle. We loved every day of the nine and a half weeks. :D

I know others on this forum don't like these smaller ships, but I didn't find anything I liked better on the Grand.

Let us know about the changes after your next cruise on the Sun.

I would not exactly rate the Sun Princess as a small ship. To me it is large. Come on it is larger than a WWII Aircraft Carrier and Battleship. The problem is new ships keep moving the goal posts with regards to size.

I tell you what I would take the Sun Princess over Princesses newer ships any day. Even the Grand class. Definitely not the ones with the extra deck like the Crown, Ruby and Emerald. I am still yet to decide on the new Royal Princess, but for me the size of Sun Princess is perfect. There is no need to want anything bigger.

What exactly is she having done?

Check out the Princess Cruises press release here:

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2013/08/Sun-Princess-Begins-Dramatic-Drydock-Transformation.html

There's also a link to the photo journal that they're keeping as the work is done.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

we will be on her in October to NZ with family. This will be our third cruise on her so we will be very interested in seeing the upgraded areas on board

I wonder what they are doing to the back pool?:)

The back pool and bar with the 180 degree views would have to be our favorite place. I hope it stays as is.

The bridge cam is now transmitting from the drydock. I dont why, but I had always thought the drydock in Singapore was on the City side along the waterfront. An AIS shot shows that it is in fact around the back on the Malaysian side.

11drydock2_zpsd4ffbd90.jpg

11drydock_zps5e93accc.jpg

11drydock3_zpse8552e01.jpg

The bridge cam is now transmitting from the drydock. I dont why, but I had always thought the drydock in Singapore was on the City side along the waterfront. An AIS shot shows that it is in fact around the back on the Malaysian side.

If you look closely at that satellite image of the Sembawang Shipyard (where Sun is having her work done), you'll notice that the photo was taken when Pacific Pearl was in the yard a few years ago - when she was still Ocean Village - being readied for her new life with P&O Australia. Carnival Corp. must like their work.... or prices!

If you look closely at that satellite image of the Sembawang Shipyard (where Sun is having her work done), you'll notice that the photo was taken when Pacific Pearl was in the yard a few years ago - when she was still Ocean Village - being readied for her new life with P&O Australia. Carnival Corp. must like their work.... or prices!

Thank you.I wondered which ship it was.

I think that yard must do quite a lot of work for the cruise lines. When Pacific and Tahitian Princess were taken ove from "R" Cruises ,they went to Singapore and had work and repaints done on them as well.

Check out the Princess Cruises press release here:

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2013/08/Sun-Princess-Begins-Dramatic-Drydock-Transformation.html

There's also a link to the photo journal that they're keeping as the work is done.

Thanks....check out the photos....they are updated daily. They are doing a heap of work on board.

Thanks....check out the photos....they are updated daily. They are doing a heap of work on board.

I hope they show some pics of the work on the hull, propellers and rudders etc. They usually get a paint job and a clean and polish in drydock.

Anyone know if they're doing any work on any of the accommodations? I read on another thread a rumour that the mini-suites are having some work done.

I hope they show some pics of the work on the hull, propellers and rudders etc. They usually get a paint job and a clean and polish in drydock.

Anyone know if they're doing any work on any of the accommodations? I read on another thread a rumour that the mini-suites are having some work done.

Just got off Sun after doing the Japan season. They are saying the Minis are being upgraded, so also assume the Suites may also get the same treatment.

We will be back on board on 20th August, straight after the refurb, so will post.

International Cafe is coming, as is an updated Horizon Court, Kai Sushi Bar (chargeable) and the Art Gallery is also getting a makeover.

It sounds like a massive job and everyone onboard was very excited.

Nicki

Archived