Alternative Take on Dress Codes

Apart from people hyperventilating on these boards, have you ever actually seen people behaving this way on the ship? Just curious because I haven't, but that doesn't mean it hasn't.

Speaking for myself I generally don't like having to dress up but I do for formal nights. I think of it more as a costume party of sorts and I do it for the fun of it, not to feel superior to anyone. If someone chooses not to that's their prerogative and it's none of my business.

I have never seen it either. either on a cruise ship or on land.

Don't get me wrong. I know several people who would make the same mean comments you would find here . But they would never say them to that persons face. They will talk about you once the party is over , or the person they are talking about has left.

I have never seen it either. either on a cruise ship or on land.

Don't get me wrong. I know several people who would make the same mean comments you would find here . But they would never say them to that persons face. They will talk about you once the party is over , or the person they are talking about has left.

Agreed. Out in the real world this issue in a non-issue. But here on the good ol' ship CC, it's pure entertainment.:)

Hey, it's better than watching Dancing with the Stars or Duck Dynasty.:D

So am I. :D

Ah. I must have mis-read your post, then. I thought, when you said:

Great points Dawg. I swear this whole "let's all get dressed up and eat" has to be some kind of psychological thing. "Astor or Vanderbilt" - ha! good one!

You were agreeing with and cheering on the insults. I'll try to find some alternative interpretation of your words. :cool:

WOW! The vindictiveness of this (and other dress, smoking and chair hog) threads is really upsetting. :eek: I don't consider myself a "veteran" cruiser, having only been on three cruises to date (with another scheduled for next April), however, I am not a novice either.

I will not say whether we are "formal or casual" dressers because I don't want to get dragged into the muck.

I just want to say that for those first-time or novice cruisers that come on CC for advice and pre-vacation planning, these threads must scare the heck out of them (I know they scare me). If I ever encountered the attitude from people expressed on these threads - I would run from the room. I can't believe that there are actually people sitting at the tables in the MDR judging people's dress. Someone in a previous post actually said that if you can't afford to dress up you should not cruise. What an incredible thing to say! :eek:

I know that the anonymity of a board like this makes people feel that they can say things they probably would not say to someone's face. But I am sure that there are people who read these threads and are afraid to go into the dining room - they are either not dressed up enough for some or too dressed up for others.

I am not trying to fan flames for anyone, just commenting for those poor folks who honestly aren't sure of what to wear. Based on these comments for one group you either have to be wearing sequins and a tux or you are considered to be in the "flip-flop/wife-beater t-shirt crowd" or if you are dressed "to the nines" you are living some kind of fantasy.

Just WOW! :(

Here's an alternate take on dress codes:

Instead of spending all of this time writing about it, do something about it.

The issue is not IF there is a dress code, but the fact that RCI is not enforcing it. RCI will not enforce it if no one tells them there is an issue. So, for those of you that want the dress code to be enforced, say something about it and tell RCI and its staff when it is not being enforced.

After my last cruise I took all of 60 second (a lot shorter time than it takes to read through one of these dress code threads) to email RCI about the lack of enforcement on my last cruise. A week later they did not just email me back, but actually called me back. I spoke to a woman that said that they (RCI) takes the dress code seriously, that there is a dress code that should be followed, and that they are trying to take steps to enforce the dress code.

So, RCI does listen to us, they do admit that there is a dress code, and they are trying to do something about its enforcement.

So if you have an issue with the way RCI is enforcing (or lack thereof) the dress code, email or call them. It will take a minute or two, and will get a lot more done than writing all of these posts.

Here's my two cents on this. Yes you can complain and yes customer service can tell you they are working on it but are they really? I don't think so. There have been several posts where people had a q&a with ships officers where they very clearly said they are not going to refuse entry to the mdr regardless and that the dress is suggested. So while I believe that you emailed a complaint and they responded, I don't believe it will have any impact. They will say what they need to at the moment to pacify the person the person with the issue.

Yeah, takes a lot of creativity to throw around mindless insults.

Paul, you insult me sir! My insults may be rare but they are never mindless!:D

I put as much thought and effort into each and every one as the topic deserves.:p

WOW! The vindictiveness of this (and other dress, smoking and chair hog) threads is really upsetting. :eek: I don't consider myself a "veteran" cruiser, having only been on three cruises to date (with another scheduled for next April), however, I am not a novice either.

I will not say whether we are "formal or casual" dressers because I don't want to get dragged into the muck.

I just want to say that for those first-time or novice cruisers that come on CC for advice and pre-vacation planning, these threads must scare the heck out of them (I know they scare me). If I ever encountered the attitude from people expressed on these threads - I would run from the room. I can't believe that there are actually people sitting at the tables in the MDR judging people's dress. Someone in a previous post actually said that if you can't afford to dress up you should not cruise. What an incredible thing to say! :eek:

I know that the anonymity of a board like this makes people feel that they can say things they probably would not say to someone's face. But I am sure that there are people who read these threads and are afraid to go into the dining room - they are either not dressed up enough for some or too dressed up for others.

I am not trying to fan flames for anyone, just commenting for those poor folks who honestly aren't sure of what to wear. Based on these comments for one group you either have to be wearing sequins and a tux or you are considered to be in the "flip-flop/wife-beater t-shirt crowd" or if you are dressed "to the nines" you are living some kind of fantasy.

Agreed. It's good to remind the casual reader that none of this is as important on board the ship as it is to some people in these discussions. I'm on the "it's best to follow the dress guidelines" side of the fence, but would never worry much about it while cruising. (And would never feel like we were dressing up in order to pretend to have some higher social status, either. :rolleyes: )

We've even advised table-mates before, who were considering skipping formal night, because they didn't pack for it, that they would be OK just wearing the nicest outfits that they did pack. While I do think it's good to follow the guidelines, it's hardly a life-or-death matter. :)

Agreed. It's good to remind the casual reader that none of this is as important on board the ship as it is to some people in these discussions. I'm on the "it's best to follow the dress guidelines" side of the fence, but would never worry much about it while cruising. (And would never feel like we were dressing up in order to pretend to have some higher social status, either. :rolleyes: )

We've even advised table-mates before, who were considering skipping formal night, because they didn't pack for it, that they would be OK just wearing the nicest outfits that they did pack. While I do think it's good to follow the guidelines, it's hardly a life-or-death matter. :)

Paul,

Based on the above post, you and I seem to be on the same page of the "dress code" issue. Why is it then that we always seem to be at odds? I have a sneaking suspicion that if by some miracle we found each other at a bar on a cruise, I'd buy you a cold one.

Let's move on. :cool:

Paul,

Based on the above post, you and I seem to be on the same page of the "dress code" issue. Why is it then that we always seem to be at odds? I have a sneaking suspicion that if by some miracle we found each other at a bar on a cruise, I'd buy you a cold one.

Let's move on. :cool:

I felt the comment that those who dress up are trying to live out some "Astor or Vanderbilt" fantasy was insulting. You thought it was a great comment. That's where we diverge. I'd rather not be insulting toward those who dress up or those who don't. :cool:

Consider me as having moved on.

I felt the comment that those who dress up are trying to live out some "Astor or Vanderbilt" fantasy was insulting. You thought it was a great comment. That's where we diverge. I'd rather not be insulting toward those who dress up or those who don't. :cool:

Consider me as having moved on.

Point made, and I agree. I'll watch my wording in the future.

Here's an alternate take on dress codes:

Instead of spending all of this time writing about it, do something about it.

The issue is not IF there is a dress code, but the fact that RCI is not enforcing it. RCI will not enforce it if no one tells them there is an issue. So, for those of you that want the dress code to be enforced, say something about it and tell RCI and its staff when it is not being enforced.

After my last cruise I took all of 60 second (a lot shorter time than it takes to read through one of these dress code threads) to email RCI about the lack of enforcement on my last cruise. A week later they did not just email me back, but actually called me back. I spoke to a woman that said that they (RCI) takes the dress code seriously, that there is a dress code that should be followed, and that they are trying to take steps to enforce the dress code.

So, RCI does listen to us, they do admit that there is a dress code, and they are trying to do something about its enforcement.

So if you have an issue with the way RCI is enforcing (or lack thereof) the dress code, email or call them. It will take a minute or two, and will get a lot more done than writing all of these posts.

And after RCI placated you it probably took them far less than 60 seconds to throw one more "issue" into the trash can.

ok you win.----have a nice day. i am too tired trying to reason with a rookie cruiser. have a wonderful day and many happy cruises.

If I had a once of insecurity I might be tempted to drop a cruise number or a C&A level. But I don't so I won't.;)

I pulled up RCL's 10K (that's their annual report submitted to the SEC) and found some interesting stuff about 2012. (See pages 52 and 53)

Revenue for the corporation (all brands) totaled $7.688 billion.

Total passenger cruise days was 35.2 million.

So total revenue per day on average was $218. (Sounds reasonable for tickets and onboard revenue)

Food costs were 5.8% of revenue. (That's $446 million RCL spent on food last year. Slightly more than our grocery bill was last year.;))

Therefore, food cost per passenger per day was $12.67. (5.8% of $218)

I understand that restaurant markups are normally 3 - 4 times ie. if food cost is $3.00 for an item, the retail or menu price would be $9-$12. (any restaurant pro's out there to confirm this markup number?)

So if this markup is correct the retail price for RCI's food per day is somewhere between $38 and $50 per passenger. If dinner is 50% of this (reasonable?) the retail price for an average RCL dinner was somewhere between $19 and $25.

Not sure what you guys and gals think but I found this interesting.

And after RCI placated you it probably took them far less than 60 seconds to throw one more "issue" into the trash can.

You are correct, if I was the only person to ever send a complaint about it, then yes, it may be immediately discarded. Although I do not think so, they at least "will be sending a letter to the ship regarding this manner."

HOWEVER, I am not the only person to do so. I know of two other couples that I met on my last cruise that I kept in touch wth that they have also sent emails. I have also spoken to others, but not sure if they have done so as well. Three emails may not make a differerence, but eventually, as more and more people tell RCI about their dissatisfaction with the lack of enforcement, it will continue to garner more attention by RCI.

You are correct, if I was the only person to ever send a complaint about it, then yes, it may be immediately discarded. Although I do not think so, they at least "will be sending a letter to the ship regarding this manner."

HOWEVER, I am not the only person to do so. I know of two other couples that I met on my last cruise that I kept in touch wth that they have also sent emails. I have also spoken to others, but not sure if they have done so as well. Three emails may not make a differerence, but eventually, as more and more people tell RCI about their dissatisfaction with the lack of enforcement, it will continue to garner more attention by RCI.

Don't you think that RCI has already thought this issue through? If you make things too loose one group complains. Tighen things up too much another group complains. RCI is marketing to families. They will do what it takes to find a balance, fill the ships, and maximize profits. I'm quite sure that they have considered this issue, the smoking issues, as well as plenty of scenarios that even we here at CC are not imaginative enough to think of.

Don't you think that RCI has already thought this issue through? If you make things too loose one group complains. Tighen things up too much another group complains. RCI is marketing to families. They will do what it takes to find a balance, fill the ships, and maximize profits. I'm quite sure that they have considered this issue, the smoking issues, as well as plenty of scenarios that even we here at CC are not imaginative enough to think of.

So was that idea of tethering a blimp to the Oasis one of their imaginative ideas we wouldn't have thunk of.:eek::D

This. Exactly this.

My Beloved and I are taking our first cruise in October and during the planning we debated RCI vs NCL. One of the factors against RCI was the stricter dress code. I don't own a cocktail dress. I don't have a reason in my life to have something that formal and see no reason to purchase an outfit I'll never wear again.

We wanted to take a chance on RCI and I decided that the things I wear to work (nice slacks, a silk sleeveless shell and a jacket) would suffice for formal and smart casual nights.

Based on what I've read here, I would have never booked this cruise. Luckily, we have a friend who has cruised RCI and is familiar with CC whose advice was: "Ignore those dress code threads. Dress neatly. Be polite. Don't worry."

I've mentioned before, the first time I noticed a more casual dress atmosphere was when I sailed the Allure OTS. I think there were probably 3-4 couples I had noticed, FOR BOTH FORMAL NIGHTS, who were wearing tuxes and gowns. There were more who wore suits-ties/dresses. There were even more who wore sport coats, no ties, ladies in pants suits or casual summer dresses.

The rest, who made up the VAST MAJORITY on formal night had differing mixes of Khakis, polo/botton shirts...women with casual sundresses and "culottes" with sandals. And yes, even some were wearing shorts.

I never saw one person turned away from the MDR....EVER....for any reason. Matter of fact, I did see one couple who came to the MDR on formal night stating they didn't dress appropriately because of luggage issues (didn't find out what those issues were, nor to the hostess ask). The hostess said "not to worry, we want you to eat with us tonight" (her exact words).

Personally, I don't care one way or the other how anyone dresses. It has ZERO bearing on how much I'll enjoy myself.

But, I'm thinking this trend is moving quickly away from any sort of formal or "dress up" attire on cruise ships. Since my Allure cruise, it's only become ever more evident that casual rules.

I suppose you can complain. But, the vast majority are really pushing the cruise industry in this direction. I'm thinking the cruise lines hear a whole lot more people in favor of going more casual than the few who take umbrage with how others dress in the dining rooms. I still can't figure out how I dress has anything do to with how anyone else dresses? People really act that way?

Apart from people hyperventilating on these boards, have you ever actually seen people behaving this way on the ship? Just curious because I haven't, but that doesn't mean it hasn't.

Speaking for myself I generally don't like having to dress up but I do for formal nights. I think of it more as a costume party of sorts and I do it for the fun of it, not to feel superior to anyone. If someone chooses not to that's their prerogative and it's none of my business.

You have fun getting dressed up. It makes you feel good. Nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of costume parties, briefly (and I do mean VERY BRIEFLY, as it scared me) I perused the Disney cruise threads. I found people well into adulthood dressing up like Snow White for dress up nights. Gotta say, that creeps me out more than just a little bit.

You have fun getting dressed up. It makes you feel good. Nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of costume parties, briefly (and I do mean VERY BRIEFLY, as it scared me) I perused the Disney cruise threads. I found people well into adulthood dressing up like Snow White for dress up nights. Gotta say, that creeps me out more than just a little bit.

You should see pirate night!

I still can't figure out how I dress has anything do to with how anyone else dresses? People really act that way?

Personally, at this time, I do not care what you or anyone else dresses in the MDR or elsewhere. What I do care about is that if the trend continues and RCI becomes more and more lax about enforcing the rules, then formal night will, as you wish, actually become a thing of the past. If no one complains, RCI will think it is okay, and will have no reason to enforece it. [And most probably, those of us who enjoy formal night do not complain - I would not have even looked at other passengers on this last cruise if it had not been for reading all of these threads.] What I fear is that if they go lax on the formal attire, eventually even slacks and polo shirts will become shorts and t-shirts, which will eventually become bathing suits, tank tops, and flip flops. You can cite the fact that other "high-end" cruiselines have a casual attire every night, but I will be judgemental here and state that the passengers that RCI attracts is much different than that of these high-end lines and that the polo shirt/slacks will not degrade down to swim suit and flip-flops in the MDR. [slam me as being judgemental, but ya'll know its true.]

However, I still cannot figure out how people do not have the respect for their fellow passengers to either follow the guidelines for dress attire on a particular evening as stated, or just dine elsewhere (with the exception of special circumstances). The thing is that if you knew me outside of CC, I am probably more liberal minded and free-thinking than most, but as long as RCI has these guidelines in place, I will follow them -- if not for myself, than in respect of the ship and my fellow passengers.

What's right is right.

My last cruise was to the Mediterranean, and my entire family travelled with the proper attire for both formal nights. If I did not bring my suit, I would not have eaten in the MDR. I truly cannot understand why people get so bent out of shape about dressing up (is it lazyness, is it that they are like 5 year olds and cannot "rough it" for the less than two hours, or is it that they just do not know any better). People say that things are a changin' -- yes, some things are changing for the good, and many are also changing for the bad. Getting rid of formal night would not be one of the good things.

In the very least, at least dress within the spirit of the dress code. If you have read my review of the last cruise, I stated that between 80% - 85% of the people actually followed the proper attire. Most that did not at least dressed within the spirit of the dress code -- sports jackets without ties, or button-up & ties without jackets, or even a very nice sweater and dress pants. It is the individuals that try to intentionally break the dress code are the few I actually have a problem with, such as one of our fellow CC members that is providing guidance on how to wear shorts on every evening in the MDR, regardless of the evening's dress code. Although many of us understand that some individuals have an agenda, and 95% of their posts are only about disregarding the dress code, I find posts such as the following extremely disrespectful:

Here's some sage advice. Please take with a grain of salt:

1. Wear shorts to the MDR on the first night of the cruise. I believe they will allow it since not everyone has their luggage yet.

2. Explain to your waitstaff that all you packed were shorts and/or jeans so, in light of the dress suggestions, you won't be eating in the MDR for the rest of the cruise.

3. The waitstaff "won't hear of it", tell you not to worry about it and to "please come and dine with us!"

4. Wear shorts or jeans to the MDR for the rest of the cruise. If you are questioned at the entrance, explain that (insert waiter name here) gave you permission to come to the MDR dressed as you are.

5. You're in! Enjoy your cruise on your terms! :D

If you only packed shorts/jeans and did not know about the dress code (I knew about a dress code aboard cruises long before the popularity of the Internet in 1996, and a vast majority knew about the dress code on my last cruise when I am sure most have never been on CC), then this is an exception. But if someone is trying to circumvent the dress code because of entitlement (i.e., "Enjoy the cruise on your terms!") - then that is showing little or no respect for your fellow cruisers.

The call is out to RCI to either enforce their rules, or remove them. Or come up with a solution to meet both needs. If there is such an overwhelming majority of people that do not want formal night, as a few claim, then they RCI should have no problem splitting their dinning rooms (by level) between formal and non-formal attire on specific nights. Or, make some cruises all-casual (particularily the Caribbean in the summer). I believe that many of you are good people, and would gladly share a table at the MDR with most of you (regardless of what you are wearing), but it is up to RCI do do something to stop this rift, even if it is only between the few of us on CC.

So, everyone enjoy your cruise, but remember that there are other people onboard.

Personally, at this time, I do not care what you or anyone else dresses in the MDR or elsewhere. What I do care about is that if the trend continues and RCI becomes more and more lax about enforcing the rules, then formal night will, as you wish, actually become a thing of the past. If no one complains, RCI will think it is okay, and will have no reason to enforece .

RCCL already has relaxed their dress SUGGESTIONS. Further, I don't know what you want RCCI to do? They've made those suggestions as broad as possible, so no one feels left out. I'm certain that was their goal.

Regarding going to another venue to eat instead of the MDR so you don't have to see my "heathen" bunch, I paid for my cruise, just like you. MDR meals are a part of my fare, just like it is for you.

Finally...."lack of respect" for you based on how I dress? I don't know you. You don't know me. How does my dress affect respect one way or another? You could be a felon in a tux for all I know. You have not done anything to earn my respect regardless of how you dress.

Archived