Help please voyager

MARIANH

Having only recently posted what I thought were helpful comments on this board, only to be abused by another poster, it is with some trepidation that I post again.

However, I should be really grateful for some kind advice re Voyager.

We are considering what looks like a great itinerary flying from the UK to Sydney in time for New Year, followed by seeing an Ashes Test match and finishing with a cruise on Voyager - Sydney to Auckland.

We have cruised many lines over the years and latterly gravitated to Seabourn(big sisters) but with occasional dalliance with Silversea, Azamara and Cunard QG.

Although clearly we all have somewhat different preferences, in broad terms would we find a Voyager experience similar to say Seabourn? If not how would it differ?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

We have booked two cruises with Regent one New York to Montreal which is sold out. This is on the Navigator. The other is on Voyager Sydney to Singapore.

Currently all the Voyager tours are not very well supported, I think this maybe due to the problems the ship had last year. I understand that the ship is going into dry dock in October.

The Ashes tour has been added onto the itinerary and you will join the ship on its way round back to the UK. Had this tour been available when we booked we would have extended our tour to include it.

From reading Cc I think that Voyager will be quiet nice if it is not running on full capacity everything should not be so crowded and the staff will have more time to see the passengers.

We have not been on a cruise before so this will be a first for us. If you do go I would like to know who would be your first choice for cruising next time.

I have not seen many comments from the UK I think the Brits on board will be in minority

I saw that itinerary in a full page advert in a national paper yesterday and it immediately appealed to me. The add-on of time in Sydney with tickets for the cricket was great. However we are not as fit as we used to be and couldn't nowadays manage that time in Sydney.

Having cruised on both Regent and Seabourn Sojourn however, I can assure you that you would not be disappointed with Voyager (you may have been if it was Navigator)

Though it is subjective, I preferred the food on Regent and the extra two speciality restaurants are better than the single one on Sojourn. The wine is slightly better too. The staff are warm and friendly though Sojourn has the edge as there seemed to be more around wanting to help. The suites are comparable but the theatre and general entertainment gives Regent an edge. One thing I would like to see on Regent is the "Seabourn Square" concept bringing various offerings, coffee bar, computer, destination services and reception all together in one area. Great idea.

All in all, I feel sure you wouldn't be disappointed in Regent and I hope you take the plunge and tell us all about it.

Sorry, only sailed on Regent out of the cruise lines ones mentioned, we looked at this cruise but decided on a back to back cruise in October this year, if only they had mentioned the Ashes I would have gone, the thought of being at Sydney for the test would have been to great, the wife would have loved it as well, envious you bet, disappointed bitterly. Go and sit with the Barmy army, have a few beers and think of us back home, freezing to death, up all night watching the convicts getting stuffed again (we can all dream), oh and don't forget to give us a wave.

We enjoyed voyager, the all inclusive is as we Brits understand it, our total spend was $30 dollars on board, for a pair of shorts, if you gamble then the spend would go up (unless you win) or there's a charge for a spa treatment I believe. The friendly staff and on our cruise the passengers was an unexpected bonus.

One thing I would like to see on Regent is the "Seabourn Square" concept bringing various offerings, coffee bar, computer, destination services and reception all together in one area. Great idea.

All in all, I feel sure you wouldn't be disappointed in Regent and I hope you take the plunge and tell us all about it.

You need to sail on Mariner as the Grand Promenade with Computer, Library, Coffee Bar, and games in a central location makes Mariner my favorite ship.

Marc

You need to sail on Mariner as the Grand Promenade with Computer, Library, Coffee Bar, and games in a central location makes Mariner my favorite ship.

Marc

Thank you. I have sailed on Mariner several times and am booked on a Transatlantic later this year. But, much as I love it, the area on Mariner just does not compare favourably with Seabourn Square, in my opinion.

Thank you. I have sailed on Mariner several times and am booked on a Transatlantic later this year. But, much as I love it, the area on Mariner just does not compare favourably with Seabourn Square, in my opinion.

Understood; I have never sailed on Seabourn so I cannot make the same comparison.

Marc

PS Listening to pipes whilst relaxing in Dunkeld; life can't get much better. :)

Hi MARIANH: Good to see you back on the Regent board;) We are booked on the sailing prior to the one you are considering and are doing a 3 night post cruise in Sydney. The Voyager is our favorite Regent ship but it is larger than the "big sisters". As you know, we have also sailed on Silversea (love the Whisper).

We find Regent to be the perfect match for us and do recommend it to our friends. Is there anything in particular you are interested in learning about the Voyager? I'm sure that you will receive very kind responses from everyone (fingers crossed:-)

Hi Marianh,

We have sailed both Regent and Seabourn, being Platinum on both but most days on Seabourn.

My personal choice would be Seabourn because of service, size and other areas. However, we have also chosen Regent because of Itint. Our most recent voyage on Regent was the Voyager from Sydney to Singapore in February. It was a unique voyage with weather delays thus omitting ports, and then the sad passing of the lead singer. We enjoyed the crew, their friendliness but found the officers and some other lead personnel to be stand offish and at times diffiicult to approach re: concerns. Because it is a personal choice, we did not find the food in the various venus to be as good as on Seabourn.

As mentioned above the Seabourn Square has not been replicated on any of our cruises on Crystal, Silversea or Regent. It is unique and most enjoyable.

However, it is so good that we have choices and we will continue to use other lines. I know you will enjoy your trip on Regent going with an open mind and having great experiences to add to positive memories of your journey.

Two things about Seabourn I would just like to correct. One, the suites on Seabourn's O class ships are exactly the same size as Voyagers, about 365 sq. ft. On the smaller triplets they do not have true balconies but the interior space is 277 sq. ft, also very similar to Voyager. Second, the O class ships also have tow alternative restaurants, not just one, plus an outdoor grill. That said, they are all wonderful ships and Regent or Seabourn will provide a great cruise. If Regent decided to eliminate its included excursions I'd sail in a hot minute.

Two things about Seabourn I would just like to correct. One, the suites on Seabourn's O class ships are exactly the same size as Voyagers, about 365 sq. ft. On the smaller triplets they do not have true balconies but the interior space is 277 sq. ft, also very similar to Voyager. Second, the O class ships also have tow alternative restaurants, not just one, plus an outdoor grill. That said, they are all wonderful ships and Regent or Seabourn will provide a great cruise. If Regent decided to eliminate its included excursions I'd sail in a hot minute.

Voyager Deluxe Suites are a generous 306 sq. ft. not including the 50 sf balcony. NOT similar to the Seabourn example.

The extra space is in larger bathroom and closet and safe and more room between foot of bed and wall.

Mariner Deluxe Suites are 252 sf not including 49 sf balcony.

Penthouse on Mariner are larger than penthouses on Voyager.

We like both ships but favor Voyager because of the extra space.

Wripro:

Please check your facts to avoid posting erroneous information. Seabourn's O Class basic suites are only 295 sq ft and do not have a verandah. My comment was entirely correct.

The O Class Verandah Suites are indeed comparable to Voyager's, but significantly more costly than the window suites. Voyager has no window suites.

Difference I think is major ..... They allow smoking (if I'm not mistaken) in cabins and balconies on Seabourn. Due to this we will absolutely not consider sailing with Seabourn no make how good a deal.

Regent cabins and balconies and most public spaces are smoke free. Loved Voyager's slightly larger cabins (Deluxe on Mariner are smaller but not noticeably). Voyager and Mariner are lovely ships, never been on Navigator.

Sorry I meant BIG DIFFERENCE!

However, I should be really grateful for some kind advice re Voyager.

We are considering what looks like a great itinerary flying from the UK to Sydney in time for New Year, followed by seeing an Ashes Test match and finishing with a cruise on Voyager - Sydney to Auckland.

We have cruised many lines over the years and latterly gravitated to Seabourn(big sisters) but with occasional dalliance with Silversea, Azamara and Cunard QG.

Although clearly we all have somewhat different preferences, in broad terms would we find a Voyager experience similar to say Seabourn? If not how would it differ?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Marianh, to me it is mostly about itinerary, especially if you are cruising with a spouse. I'm a solo traveler. I was on this cruise several years ago, as a segment of the World Cruise back then (maybe 2005), but we started in Auckland (did the opposite itinerary) where I did a Radisson pre-cruise to the peninsula out on the coast, I forget the name, Coramandel or something like that?. Absolutely beautiful. On the cruise, we were allowed an overnight in Queenstown, an inland city that is more than lovely, and back then, Radisson allowed it as a freebie for all of us as I remember. This was an awesome cruise, (at least 15 nights) but if you are on that 10 day one, it is shorter than mine was. I think you will miss some of my favorite ports, Christchurch among them (there was an earthquake there recently, in past 2 years), and maybe Hobart. I absolutely loved the entire experience..... you will find the New Zealander's among the most friendly ones you will ever meet. Just stop them on the street in ports in small towns and hope you will feel the same. Just not sure you will have some of the little ports I had. On my cruise, we had a huge storm in the Bass Straits that ended up canceling our next port, can't remember which one (maybe Melbourne). Instead, we spent 2 nights in Sydney, what a great way to get "canceled" as now I love that city. Do remember I visited the zoo on an excursion, and did some boat trip around the area where they pointed out where certain movie stars owned property. Loved Sydney harbor and all the painted silver "entertainers". It's absolutely a great place for street cheer for anyone.

Don't ever feel intimidated by anyone on this board, just keep posting as you would anywhere else, and ignore what you don't want to hear. Really, no one was being difficult with you, from what I've read. Things just sometimes rise and fall depending on who is there at the time. As you can see from my "start" date, I've seen it all.

I've never cruised with Seabourn, and look forward to do someday, as the opportunity presents, many friends have done so and love it. I've only cruised Silversea, and find the lines as a crossover, other than included excursions. Just depends on your personal preferences, but you are talking about Voyager, where they're included. You can see what it looks like on their website. ANy questions about the ship in particular, fire away.

Oops, just looking at post below from Nana541. I am a smoker, and always try to be considerate. Since I think you have already been on Seabourn, I figure you know what it is there, I sure don't. At any rate, I believe what she is saying is that Regent is not so smoker-friendly. Only to the extent that they won't lose business is my take.

OP - to me the main difference is in the number of passengers on board - 450 against 700. That is the deal breaker. However, I agree that Seabourn has a less good attitude re smoking, but makes up for that by having the Seabourn Square and not including excursions. Regent cruises always seem to add up to a lot more dollars per day than Seabourn, probably for this reason.

Ted C, you may all believe what you want. But Seabourn has only one level of non balcony suites which come in at 295 to 300 sq. ft. of interior space. The verandah suites 9 the vast majority) are 365 sq. ft. which include 300 ft of interior space plus the verandah. This is very similar to Regent. If you want to quibble about five sq, ft. be my guest.

And no one is disputing that the Voyager has terrific suites.

Thanks to all of you who provided helpful information.

We are now much better informed to make a decision.

The debate about cabin/suite dimensions was interesting but somewhat nugatory. It would seem that size does matter to some.

Thanks again.

Regards

Thanks to all of you who provided helpful information.

We are now much better informed to make a decision.

The debate about cabin/suite dimensions was interesting but somewhat nugatory. It would seem that size does matter to some.

Thanks again.

Regards

Interesting word....'Nugatory'

I hadn't heard that one in a long time..

For luxury, size matters - you don't want to be bumping into cabin mates, or maybe you do. Larger bathroom and closet is luxury. For instance Mariner safe is tiny, hardly large enough for a camera .

With the larger closet on Voyager the safe is much larger with room for camera, and all your jewelry etc.

For luxury, size matters - you don't want to be bumping into cabin mates, or maybe you do. Larger bathroom and closet is luxury. For instance Mariner safe is tiny, hardly large enough for a camera .

With the larger closet on Voyager the safe is much larger with room for camera, and all your jewelry etc.

Definitely agree with you! While the Mariner is a lovely ship, we find that we have to book a penthouse suite in order to have enough room. Still, the safe and closet is tiny compared to the Voyager.

I'm still trying to figure out why posters who prefer other cruise lines (Seabourn, etc.) are posting on this thread when the OP is asking about Regent:confused: I must agree with jhp -- just ignore what you don't want to read. I do wonder why posters who have never sailed Regent (or haven't sailed Regent in a long time) post on the Regent board and do so frequently. There is nothing wrong with people preferring another cruise line....... just wonder why you are here??????? Hoping that flames don't begin from the posters I just questioned.

I do wonder why posters who have never sailed Regent (or haven't sailed Regent in a long time) post on the Regent board and do so frequently. There is nothing wrong with people preferring another cruise line....... just wonder why you are here??????? Hoping that flames don't begin from the posters I just questioned.

You raise an interesting question that has been puzzling me ever since I joined CC. And it is as relevant to boards for all other cruise lines as it is to Regent. It seems strange (at least to me) that posters who have never experienced a cruise line or have not sailed for many years feel that their comments would be of value to others. The problem for readers is there is often no way of knowing if a poster has sailed the line/ ship and when. With the attendant difficulty of separating fact from fiction and prejudice. This issue can also be somewhat perplexing in the context of what has been termed "serial posters" who no doubt for good reason make frequent contributions to many different cruise line boards. A simple declaration of the last time they cruised on the line/ ship ( if ever) would be most helpful for the reader(IMHO).

I offer this as a considered response to Travelcat's pertinent observation and have no wish to stimulate an acrimonious debate or be incinerated.

And thanks again to all those kind posters who have responded to my original question - most helpful.:)

Archived