passport/flight ticket question

gbgpr

Please help as I am getting conflicting information.

I booked our flight through Carnival's fly away program. My flight tickets do not contain my middle name but my middle name is on my passport. I have been led to believe that the two documents must match. When I called the airlines the first representative with whom I spoke insisted that my middle name must be on my ticket but that she could not put it on without the travel agent contacting her. I called the travel agent and he insisted that the middle name is not necessary. So.....what to do??? I feel like I am caught in the middle. I just don't want to be left at the airport as my plane flies away. Has anyone faced this issue before and, if so, how did it turn out?

I booked our flight through Carnival's fly away program. My flight tickets do not contain my middle name but my middle name is on my passport. I have been led to believe that the two documents must match. When I called the airlines the first representative with whom I spoke insisted that my middle name must be on my ticket but that she could not put it on without the travel agent contacting her. I called the travel agent and he insisted that the middle name is not necessary. So.....what to do??? I feel like I am caught in the middle. I just don't want to be left at the airport as my plane flies away. Has anyone faced this issue before and, if so, how did it turn out?

I would tell the travel agent I didn't care what he said, you're the client and if you want your middle name on there, he will put it on there.

Simple question. Who should you believe. The airline person, who will reject you without the correct info, or some travel agent? I always use my middle name for all travel so I can't answer if you will have a problem.

Just had a similar situation. Booked my airline ticket without using my middle name, started second-guessing myself. I contacted the airline and they said ticket should match ID so I added my middle name. Just to be on the safe side I would insist the TA change it for you.

I think it's been this way for a while now. I don't fly often but the last several have been on Southwest and their website states at the time you make your res that the name must match your documents and since I always use my passport as my identification when I travel, I've been putting my middle on the reservation. I figured anything I can do to lessen the time checking in (at the airport or at the port) is a good thing.

Is this a domestic flight?

If so, use a form of ID that matches your ticket. TSA only wants a Government issued photo ID. It could be your drivers license. Does your Drivers License have your middle name? If not,, use it.

I fly often enough and never added my middle name.

My passport and drivers license has my middle name

My DR and passport have a middle initial but I never use the initial when booking flights and have never been questioned., and we fly often. The agent probably wouldn't even notice unless you said something.

Thanks for your responses. Guess I should have added this piece: the TA claims that he called the airlines and that they stated my middle name wasn't necessary. ( I wonder if there is a charge to make changes to the ticket and he doesn't want to incur the expense.) He was kind of insistent that there was nothing further he could do. I tried to have my middle name added and the airlines stated that since a third party agent made the arrangements, he was the one required to make any changes. I am frustrated beyond belief. I am really hoping that I will make out like those of you who have never had any problems. Thanks again!!!

I'm guessing your concerned about having issues with the TSA system. If so, you may find your answer here (see section title: Questions about Names on Boarding Passes Matching Names on ID)

I would be pretty ticked off at the Travel Agent. I honestly don't know if it is necessary to have the middle name, but I would rather be safe than sorry. It can't hurt to put it in. The TA is being lazy and considering all the strict rules to flying nowadays I would be pissed if I have trouble getting on my flight because a TA was too lazy to make a 5 min. phone call!

On my last cruise I called my TA to switch to the room next door because it looked bigger on the ship's blueprint. She laughed and said they are listed as the same size but did not hesitate in calling Carnival to switch the room. You are the customer so there should be no issues when you ask for something to be done. Its not like you are asking for a free upgrade or anything else that would be difficult to do- its a 5 min. phone call!!!!!

Thanks again guys. I have e-mailed the airlines and am hoping to get a response in writing that I can take to the travel agent. This is an international flight so I am trying to take every precaution.

Thanks again guys. I have e-mailed the airlines and am hoping to get a response in writing that I can take to the travel agent. This is an international flight so I am trying to take every precaution.

If you know your air booking number you could probably add it yourself

Archived