Attention!

jwm51

If you purchased a $50 bottle of wine at the table from the sommelier, would you feel "awkward and cheap" if you didn't share it with a table full of strangers? Honestly, if your tablemates (who do not even know you) expect you to share your wine with them, then they are the ones who should feel "awkward and cheap". If you are at a shared table with persons whom you do not know, it very likely could be a table for 8 or 10 people. Practically, one bottle of wine wouldn't go that far even if you wanted to share it. But, in the event that you become fast friends with some of your tablemates after a few days, then by all means, share your wine, or better yet, offer to buy them a drink. JMHO.

Exactly!

My first cruise I took I don't think my husband and I bought any alcohol besides the margarita included with a specialty restaurant deal we had... Now since then we have cruised with friends and buy a lot more alcohol... I guess we drink more when socializing with others then we do on our own since its not a priority to spend our money on it... We would rather send our funds on nice meals or better excursions...

Kari

No, but if they were at the same table as me I would feel awkward and cheap if I didn't offer to share.

It's generally accepted that one is under no obligation to offer others at your table any wine that has been purchased and there's really no reason to feel cheap. However, if you feel awkward and cheap if you don't, it's up to you to make the offer.

If you're at a table for 4 or more you won't get much more than one glass per person so you might as well just order by the glass.

I think most would decline the offer unless everyone has decided to take turns every night. You can also run into those who will accept but never reciprocate.

It's generally accepted that one is under no obligation to offer others at your table any wine that has been purchased and there's really no reason to feel cheap. However, if you feel awkward and cheap if you don't, it's up to you to make the offer.

If you're at a table for 4 or more you won't get much more than one glass per person so you might as well just order by the glass.

I think most would decline the offer unless everyone has decided to take turns every night. You can also run into those who will accept but never reciprocate.

I think if I bought a bottle I would not feel obligated to share. Nor would I expect my tablemates to share with me if they bought a bottle. But that's just me. :)

I think I can answer that one. I don't buy wine on a cruise ship to drink with dinnner because they charge a fortune for it, way way more than it's worth to me. I will have a drink in a bar before dinner, but I am not paying $35 for a mediocre bottle of wine. Also, it seems kind of chintzy to buy a bottle and not offer it to everyone else at the table. It's all wrong the way it's handled on cruises, in my humble opinion.

In my opinion you are under no obligation to share the bottle of wine you purchased with complete strangers who you are randomly seated with on a cruise. It's no different than being seated in close tables in a restaurant--would you share your wine with those seated next to you?

I certainly wouldn't expect my table mates to share, nor would I share with them. Of course if it turns out that you become quite friendly and both parties order equal quality wine with the intention of sharing, that's a different story.

No, but if they were at the same table as me I would feel awkward and cheap if I didn't offer to share.

There is no reason to feel that way. If they think you are being cheap, they are the ones with the problem.

I have a friend who went on a cruise last year, he and his wife ordered a bottle every night that was in the $100 plus range. Their table mates would order $20 bottles of that crap known as white Zinfandel and became upset when the offer to "pool the bottles" was met with a polite "No, thank you" a couple of days into the cruise. My friends ultimately changed tables, as the other couple became very antagonistic about the matter.

The original question has no point to it.

On a cruise, we are all on vacation people. Of course, most people will probably drink a little more than normal. They are not driving anywhere.:D

Unfortunately, some folks drink a lot more than they normally do. That is where I do not see the point.

I am on vacation to enjoy myself and relax, maybe let loose a bit. Some liquid encouragement for karaoke.:D

But I also want to stay in control and remember what a great vacation I had.

Most cruise lines these days will allow you to bring 2 bottles of wine on board. I ask the cabin steward for wine glasses and enjoy them with my wife on the balcony after dinner or at sunset.;);)

People that do not drink will not necessarily drink because they are on a cruise ship. That is ridiculous. I do not need to drink to have fun.

If they are friends, yes. I have no idea why you you would feel this way with strangers. But, your feelings are your own and you are the only one who can control them.

The general consensus after reading all the replies is the same as my feelings about it. No, I wouldn't feel awkward and cheap and no, I feel no obligation to share. I'll bet the vast majority of table mates you are seated with have absolutely no expectation whatsoever regarding your bottle of wine. If they want wine, or other drinks, they should order their own.

Umm..I drink very little, but admit to having a few frozen drinks, a few glasses of wine on a cruise. A few years ago, we went on a family cruise to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary. I got a call from our TA saying my brothers cc had been declined. To abbreviate the story, I gave him a credit card of mine to use on the cruise so that my parents wouldn't be disappointed. I found out that he was buying rounds for everyone he met in the bars on the ship. In fact, one night when 11 of our group were together one evening, and everyone's drinks were ordered, including mine, he insisted on buying all of our drinks. My daughter looked at me and whispered, "Did we just thank him, when you are paying the tab for this?" At the end of the cruise, I had a bar bill like we had circled the globe instead of spent 4 days on a ship. I never got a cent back. He's one of those that has to drink to have a good time. They have a 12 step plan for him, but he's never enrolled.

Archived