Attention!

jwm51

Looking over the MILLIONS of alcohol threads (sneaking OR otherwise), I've been wondering this for the longest time:

Does anyone who drink alcohol EVER go on cruise & DON'T drink any alcohol???:confused:

I mean other than those that fall ill & obviously cannot drink...:D

I usually don't drink, so it's not important whether I drink or not on a cruise. I usually bring on soft drinks (I don't care for the taste of most Coke products so I bring Mountain Dew and Sobe drinks), so I usually stick with those. If I am given a free drink (like for Captain's Circle past passenger parties), I might not turn that down.

Our last three cruises have included New Years Eve and a couple of cruises ago, I did buy one drink for NYE. The last cruise, I didn't buy any but was given some free drinks and wine (a thank you from Princess for helping someone,, actually).

Sorry, I don't understand the point of this post.

The point is do you cruise to drink OR do you drink to cruise?:eek::p

Drinking is only PART of the cruise experience...You can drink alcohol anywhere!;)

Lighten up & have some fun!:D

Drinking is only PART of the cruise experience...You can drink alcohol anywhere!;)

Location doesn't change anything. If you drink alcohol, you drink alcohol. If you don't drink being at home or on a ship makes no difference. Not sure how your comments are "fun". Why should being on a ship stop a person from drinking. Your original post makes no sense. "Does anyone who drinks alcohol ever go on a cruise and don't drink alcohol." If a person normally has wine with dinner why would they not just because they are on a ship? I don't cruise to drink.... nor have I found that if I drink I can cruise.

If you can't have fun without alcohol you probably can't have fun with it, either;).

If a person normally has wine with dinner why would they not just because they are on a ship?

I think I can answer that one. I don't buy wine on a cruise ship to drink with dinnner because they charge a fortune for it, way way more than it's worth to me. I will have a drink in a bar before dinner, but I am not paying $35 for a mediocre bottle of wine. Also, it seems kind of chintzy to buy a bottle and not offer it to everyone else at the table. It's all wrong the way it's handled on cruises, in my humble opinion.

I think I can answer that one. I don't buy wine on a cruise ship to drink with dinnner because they charge a fortune for it, way way more than it's worth to me. I will have a drink in a bar before dinner, but I am not paying $35 for a mediocre bottle of wine. Also, it seems kind of chintzy to buy a bottle and not offer it to everyone else at the table. It's all wrong the way it's handled on cruises, in my humble opinion.

I used to order by the glass at dinner. At a couple glasses every night, it adds up fast! :eek: But I have to say being allowed two bottles of wine on Royal Caribbean has made a nice difference in my total onboard charges. :)

So, if you were in a land based restaurant and seated so close to the next table you felt as though you were seated together, would you feel obligated offer a glass of your wine then? Probably not.

We have offered others a glass of our wine at times, most people politely decline. Although, I don't feel the obligation to do so, any more than I'd feel obligated to buy complete strangers a round of drinks just because they were close by.

As far as drinking and cruising, I'm not much of a drinker any longer, except a glass or two of wine with dinner. So I do drink more on a cruise than I do at home, since I typically only have a glass or two on Sunday evenings. We like Princess as we can take our own bottles of wine, even with a corkage fee we're paying far less than we would for a good bottle of wine from the ship. We would not order that mediocre $35 bottle, not worth it.

Looking over the MILLIONS of alcohol threads (sneaking OR otherwise), I've been wondering this for the longest time:

Does anyone who drink alcohol EVER go on cruise & DON'T drink any alcohol???:confused:

I mean other than those that fall ill & obviously cannot drink...:D

It all depends on who is buying.

So, if you were in a land based restaurant and seated so close to the next table you felt as though you were seated together, would you feel obligated offer a glass of your wine then? Probably not.

No, but if they were at the same table as me I would feel awkward and cheap if I didn't offer to share.

Maybe I'm completely dense, but this makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

Do I cruise to drink OR do I drink to cruise?? Like there could not be any other reason for either cruising or drinking?

Drinking is only part of the cruise experience... um DUH.

You can drink alcohol anywhere. Not sure this is true. Where I live there are plenty of places that kind of look down on that. Even on the ship- I think you will find that the Captain has definite ideas about that in certain areas of the ship.

Lighten up and have some fun. Apparently this is only possible if you are drinking? Really?

Look, this is just my opinion, but if you want to drink your liver into oblivion on your cruise, fill your boots. If you think that you need to have alcohol in order to have fun on your cruise, ditto. But please don't insinuate that those who don't drink, or who don't drink all day long, don't know how to have fun. To be perfectly honest, I'm still not sure if that was really what you were trying to say.

There are many cruisers (believe it or not) who actually do not drink period....

Count us in that group! Sometimes we'll have a glass of wine with dinner to utilize the cruiseline loyalty program's coupon, but more often then not, we just select non-alcoholic beverages instead. We do the same at home, and rarely drink, except for an occasional glass of wine on a special occasion

No, but if they were at the same table as me I would feel awkward and cheap if I didn't offer to share.

If you purchased a $50 bottle of wine at the table from the sommelier, would you feel "awkward and cheap" if you didn't share it with a table full of strangers? Honestly, if your tablemates (who do not even know you) expect you to share your wine with them, then they are the ones who should feel "awkward and cheap". If you are at a shared table with persons whom you do not know, it very likely could be a table for 8 or 10 people. Practically, one bottle of wine wouldn't go that far even if you wanted to share it. But, in the event that you become fast friends with some of your tablemates after a few days, then by all means, share your wine, or better yet, offer to buy them a drink. JMHO.

Archived