Celebrity train excursion to Berlin?

Turtles06

We're going to the Baltics next year on the Connie, with a port call in Warnemunde, enabling us to visit Berlin on a very long excursion.

Has anyone taken Celebrity's excursion from Warnemunde to Berlin? According to X's web site, it's a train ride 3 hours each way, with a bus tour in Berlin. The alternative is a private tour operator, in which case it's about a 3-hour bus ride each way, with a (smaller) bus tour in Berlin.

I tend to avoid ship's excursions, but am wondering whether the roundtrip from Warnemunde to Berlin will be significantly more comfortable on the train (although X cautions the train is not air conditioned; we are going in late May).

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken this Celebrity excursion. (I know all the good things about going with a private tour operator, but I want to be sure I have fully explored our options).

Thanks for any feedback, good or bad.

When we did the Baltic years ago on Celebrity we did the trip to Berlin. We docked in Warnemunde and took the X trip to Berlin. At that time it was by train... about a 2.5 hour trip. I can state without conviction that the trip was absolutely worth it. Berlin was a fascinating city. The rebuilding of East Berlin is amazing. The history in the city and what it went through is not to be missed.

As an FYI, this is the only shore excursion where we actually arrived back to the ship late. Due to a train delay we were 1 hour past due. Given the significant travel time, I would not risk taking a private tour for fear of being late and missing the ship.

When I cruised the Baltic on X, I did not take the excursion to Berlin but tablemates did. They had a great, but tiring, time. I have been to Berlin 3 times (once when it was still divided and twice since) and it is a city well worth seeing - even if you only have a few hours. Because of the distance involved (and the chance for mishaps along the way) I would take the ship tour. It might be more expensive but at least the ship will wait for you if you are late returning.

When we did the Baltic years ago on Celebrity we did the trip to Berlin. We docked in Warnemunde and took the X trip to Berlin. At that time it was by train... about a 2.5 hour trip. I can state without conviction that the trip was absolutely worth it. Berlin was a fascinating city. The rebuilding of East Berlin is amazing. The history in the city and what it went through is not to be missed.

As an FYI, this is the only shore excursion where we actually arrived back to the ship late. Due to a train delay we were 1 hour past due. Given the significant travel time, I would not risk taking a private tour for fear of being late and missing the ship.

We also took the train excursion during our visit in 2011. The private train was parked just yards from the gang plank, and about 80% of the ship climbed aboard. The train ride was smooth and non-stop all the way to outskirts of Berlin, where it made a short stop to let some people off to take a tour that started there.

It was a great trip, one of the best ship excursions we've taken. The visit to the wall was humbling, as well as the Holocaust Memorial. The included lunch was very good. We also arrived back a bit late, and there was the ship waiting for us - as it should, with 80% of it's passengers on that late train!! :)

I agree that it was completely worth it.

Edited by boogs

(although X cautions the train is not air conditioned; we are going in late May).

It's usually not that hot in May that you would need air condition. (Well, except for the year I was pregnant, but that's just my bad luck.)

Also, the trains in Germany that don't have air condition have windows that can be opened to get some fresh air.

Berlin is a great city. Enjoy!

We hired a private van through Celebrity. There were five of us and my DD was having some mobility issues. It was very expensive but well worth the slurge. We made a stop a Sachsenhausen and then on to Berlin. Our guide was a long time resident of Berlin and you could tell that he truely loved his city. He took us to all the usual places but also started the tour with a stop at the Olympic staduim. It has an amazing bell tower that you can see the entire city from. He also took us to a map museum with huge 3D maps of Berlin, before the wall, after the wall and what is planned for the future. It gave you a great perspective on the layout of the city. However you go Berlin is a great city and should not be missed.

On another note, the excursions conciegre told us that they would no longer be using the trains because the busses have become less expensive,

We're going to the Baltics next year on the Connie, with a port call in Warnemunde, enabling us to visit Berlin on a very long excursion.

Has anyone taken Celebrity's excursion from Warnemunde to Berlin? According to X's web site, it's a train ride 3 hours each way, with a bus tour in Berlin. The alternative is a private tour operator, in which case it's about a 3-hour bus ride each way, with a (smaller) bus tour in Berlin.

I tend to avoid ship's excursions, but am wondering whether the roundtrip from Warnemunde to Berlin will be significantly more comfortable on the train (although X cautions the train is not air conditioned; we are going in late May).

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken this Celebrity excursion. (I know all the good things about going with a private tour operator, but I want to be sure I have fully explored our options).

Thanks for any feedback, good or bad.

When we went in May it was very hot. The beautiful restaurant we had lunch in did not have the air conditioning turned on, we were told they turn it on in June even though it was 90 degrees in May. The train ride was very hot, we took turns standing by the windows. We were very late getting back to the ship, Celebrity had a full German buffet waiting for us at 11:00 p.m. With all this said, we loved the train ride, liked seeing the historical sights and had a great lunch. Very happy we took the ships tour because they had to wait for us. Enjoy what ever you decide.

On another note, the excursions conciegre told us that they would no longer be using the trains because the busses have become less expensive

Thank all of you who have posted comments so far. Given this one above, I wonder whether the 2014 season will even have the train option; sounds like perhaps not, in which case all this discussion will be moot.

But in case not -- if anyone else has taken the train, I would love to hear your reactions, good and bad. (And we are definitely going to Berlin, so no need to try to convince me that we should. :))

When we went in May it was very hot. The beautiful restaurant we had lunch in did not have the air conditioning turned on, we were told they turn it on in June even though it was 90 degrees in May. The train ride was very hot, we took turns standing by the windows. We were very late getting back to the ship, Celebrity had a full German buffet waiting for us at 11:00 p.m. With all this said, we loved the train ride, liked seeing the historical sights and had a great lunch. Very happy we took the ships tour because they had to wait for us. Enjoy what ever you decide.

Thanks for your reply. Just a few follow-up questions -- did you walk directly from the ship to the train, or did you have to take a bus to the train? When you arrived in Berlin, were you then on big buses (you know, the 40 or so seaters) or smaller ones? Did the transfer to the buses from the train in Berlin take a lot of time?

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. Just a few follow-up questions -- did you walk directly from the ship to the train, or did you have to take a bus to the train? When you arrived in Berlin, were you then on big buses (you know, the 40 or so seaters) or smaller ones? Did the transfer to the buses from the train in Berlin take a lot of time?

Thanks!

We walked, very close. Large buses. Quick transfer from train to buses. The longest part was the 3 hour train ride each way. It maybe longer if they use buses instead of trains because of traffic. This is a wonderful cruise, enjoy!

Thanks!

On our cruise on Constellation we docked a short walk from the train - less then the length of the ship. Here is a photo of our private train taken from our balcony. That is the cruise terminal building in the foreground.

Train%20to%20Berlin.JPG

Our bus in Berlin was a larger bus. The walk to the bus staging area was not very far. We had already been assigned to a specific bus, so all we had to do was locate that bus among several others and board it. Not much more involved than a typical bus excursion directly from the ship.

Edited by boogs

• 8 months later...

Guess I'm bumping up a really old thread. ;) I'm doing the Baltic cruise this August and I'm trying to decide between two Celebrity Berlin excursions…One which includes about a 3 hour bus tour of Berlin and about three hours on your own and another in which you are dropped off and on your own completely for about 6 hours. Both tours travel to Berlin by coach. Any recommendations? Does anyone know where exactly you're dropped off? Do you get a chance to get off the bus much during the 3 hour tour? Any information would be appreciated.

Guess I'm bumping up a really old thread. ;) I'm doing the Baltic cruise this August and I'm trying to decide between two Celebrity Berlin excursions…One which includes about a 3 hour bus tour of Berlin and about three hours on your own and another in which you are dropped off and on your own completely for about 6 hours. Both tours travel to Berlin by coach. Any recommendations? Does anyone know where exactly you're dropped off? Do you get a chance to get off the bus much during the 3 hour tour? Any information would be appreciated.

My advice. Book a private tour of St. Petersburg and book your Berlin tour with the same company. Most of the private companies that are used in St. Petersburg book Berlin bus tours. And you really do want to do a private tour of St. Petersburg, not a cruise line excursion.

My advice. Book a private tour of St. Petersburg and book your Berlin tour with the same company. Most of the private companies that are used in St. Petersburg book Berlin bus tours. And you really do want to do a private tour of St. Petersburg, not a cruise line excursion.

Last year we used Alla tours for Berlin & st Petersburg. Excellent company and guides. For Berlin it was van for 10 people. We stopped twice I believe both ways. It was a long day driving but worth it. Wish we had more time in Berlin but given the transportation time it would be hard.