Earth to Baychilla...

Les Picantins

I can't wait to read and travel with you through the rest of your cruise! (so far my favorite photos are of those "other" ships nearby) We must meet up on Seabourn sometime as I am from the bay area also.

Winnie

"Server knowledge could've used some help - they didn't know if their salmon was fresh or farmed."

Baychilla - With all due respect (as is always stated before one makes a highly disrespectful comment, of course), wouldn't asking a server whether the salmon was fresh or farmed be somewhat like asking the server whether your eggs were poached or duck? Here is salmon country, we would normally inquire whether the salmon was "wild" (or similar descriptors such as "wild-caught" or "line-caught"), as opposed to "farmed", whereas fresh vs. frozen is an entirely different question and would apply quite equally to wild or farmed fish.

Are you merely looking for cute one-liners to go with your (quite good, by the way) photos?

"Before I start this I should mention that apparently I've been very spoiled foodwise. Living in the SF/Napa area I have a lot of excellent restaurants from which to choose. When it comes to food and service I have very high standards. I realize a cruise won't provide a French Laundry like experience, but was expecting these cruises to provide a level of quality and service that I am used to receiving back home."

As for your beginning comments regarding how spoiled you are with respect to fine dining, have you found anything on any of your cruises that would compare with the FL? If not, then what is your point, precisely or generally?

Your comments have been useful in our planning for our first Oceania cruise (particularly the various observations regarding the bars and the liquor plan, subjects which interest us greatly). To this point, we have not decided to ditch the O cruise; but we are all the more intent to keep our next SB cruise (21 days on the Adriatic) on our cruise schedule.

Cheers, Fred (who had poached wild-caught, fresh salmon for lunch, with soft-boiled duck eggs - farmed - on the side)

Baychilla,

Your review which I read with interest is much appreciated. What I saw was a cruise ship of Oceania which hardly qualifies for the characterization of luxury. So it is not in Seabourn's league, period.

The review said it all... The welcome canapes, luggage service, flow of the ship, pastel pink lighting, drinks service etc etc are all shabby, haphazard and reminiscent of the mass market segment. Fine maybe at the price of a mass market product. But after experiencing Seabourn for me it's plain to see that the differences are glaring.

Happy sailing!

"Server knowledge could've used some help - they didn't know if their salmon was fresh or farmed."

Baychilla - With all due respect (as is always stated before one makes a highly disrespectful comment, of course), wouldn't asking a server whether the salmon was fresh or farmed be somewhat like asking the server whether your eggs were poached or duck? Here is salmon country, we would normally inquire whether the salmon was "wild" (or similar descriptors such as "wild-caught" or "line-caught"), as opposed to "farmed", whereas fresh vs. frozen is an entirely different question and would apply quite equally to wild or farmed fish.

Are you merely looking for cute one-liners to go with your (quite good, by the way) photos?

"Before I start this I should mention that apparently I've been very spoiled foodwise. Living in the SF/Napa area I have a lot of excellent restaurants from which to choose. When it comes to food and service I have very high standards. I realize a cruise won't provide a French Laundry like experience, but was expecting these cruises to provide a level of quality and service that I am used to receiving back home."

As for your beginning comments regarding how spoiled you are with respect to fine dining, have you found anything on any of your cruises that would compare with the FL? If not, then what is your point, precisely or generally?

Your comments have been useful in our planning for our first Oceania cruise (particularly the various observations regarding the bars and the liquor plan, subjects which interest us greatly). To this point, we have not decided to ditch the O cruise; but we are all the more intent to keep our next SB cruise (21 days on the Adriatic) on our cruise schedule.

Cheers, Fred (who had poached wild-caught, fresh salmon for lunch, with soft-boiled duck eggs - farmed - on the side)

I did mean wild salmon (once upon a time when my neighbor fished salmon fresh was wild and everything else was frozen/farmed):o Unfortunately cruise critic severely restricts the time you have to edit a post. The point about being spoiled with regards to food was due to previous spirited discussions pertaining to food on some other lines. I'm probably still explaining that bit poorly.

Baychilla,

Your review which I read with interest is much appreciated. What I saw was a cruise ship of Oceania which hardly qualifies for the characterization of luxury. So it is not in Seabourn's league, period.

The review said it all... The welcome canapes, luggage service, flow of the ship, pastel pink lighting, drinks service etc etc are all shabby, haphazard and reminiscent of the mass market segment. Fine maybe at the price of a mass market product. But after experiencing Seabourn for me it's plain to see that the differences are glaring.

Happy sailing!

It has matched or exceeded Seabourn in one area: Price:eek:

Baychilla,

Does your assertion about price carry when you price an Oceanic cabin of the same/equivalent standard as one on Seabourn? (This includes size and service, the latter of importance given all the differentiations on Oceanic ships.)

Happy sailing!

Thank you Baychilla for a good review and great photos.

What an eye opener for those of us that were thinking about trying Oceania. Now we can forget about this tacky down market product and appreciate the luxury lines that we have come to know and love.

Baychilla,

Does your assertion about price carry when you price an Oceanic cabin of the same/equivalent standard as one on Seabourn? (This includes size and service, the latter of importance given all the differentiations on Oceanic ships.)

Happy sailing!

The problem is the size. The smallest cabin on a little sister is 277 sq ft. For May 2014 Seabourn has this cabin on a 7 day Rome > Barcelona for $2799.

On Oceania going Barcelona > Rome there is no same size cabin. You can go down to 216 sq ft for $3699 or up to a ph3 which is 322 sq ft for 5099. But then you need to add on tips, and if you drink include either their beverage package $59.99/day or the cost of a la carte drinking. There's also the passenger difference (Ill leave it at that). Then there's the service difference. Everyone on Seabourn seemed to be "Can do", while on Oceania, some were very much like Seabourn, others not so much. One other thing, Oceanias single supplement seems stuck at 100% so if you go solo that's another upcharge from Seabourn.

Seabourn also allows changes to the menu and special orders. The only way I saw to do that on Oceania was to create some very very exotic eating disorders.

How Keith's written word moved us to try Crystal, Baychilla's photos have put the nail in the coffin for Oceania.

Have to agree. The only negative to Seabourn for us is the developing kiddie issues.:eek: If they can work out some form of protection for those who wish to sail without disruptive children, we will have found a home.:D ( Or get sent to the home-who knows).:eek:

Have to agree. The only negative to Seabourn for us is the developing kiddie issues.:eek: If they can work out some form of protection for those who wish to sail without disruptive children, we will have found a home.:D ( Or get sent to the home-who knows).:eek:

Just stay away end of July and first two weeks of August to avoid more children than normal.

At least Seabourn are trying to eliviate the problem by getting child minders to keep the kids occupied

Just stay away end of July and first two weeks of August to avoid more children than normal.

At least Seabourn are trying to eliviate the problem by getting child minders to keep the kids occupied

May I suggest all of July and all of August? These are school holidays in the UK and elsewhere. P.S. Mr L -it is alleviate.

My husband and I just started sailing Seabourn recently, have done 2 cruises and another one booked for this November. We absolutely adore Seabourn and feel that we have found the best. That being said we have never been on Oceania.

After seeing all your fabulous photos and your explanation of the all inclusive beverage card we have decided that Oceania is not for us. The one thing I did want to ask is when you did the comparison price wise between the 2 lines, was the price of the airfare on Oceania included?

For now we are very happy with everything Seabourn offers us.

My husband and I just started sailing Seabourn recently, have done 2 cruises and another one booked for this November. We absolutely adore Seabourn and feel that we have found the best. That being said we have never been on Oceania.

After seeing all your fabulous photos and your explanation of the all inclusive beverage card we have decided that Oceania is not for us. The one thing I did want to ask is when you did the comparison price wise between the 2 lines, was the price of the airfare on Oceania included?

For now we are very happy with everything Seabourn offers us.

My comparison excluded the airfare.

Archived