Solo things to bring

Will_Dieterich

Took my first cruise and really enjoyed it. Anyways one of the biggest hassles was getting a seat and keeping it at the buffet. I would get up and come back and find some other people sitting down.

Not wanting to leave my kindle at the table, I had a paperback book which I started carrying around and leaving which helped. Next cruise I am going to bring an old palm pilot,probably painted white so it really shows up, and start leaving that. I am hopping that less people will want to touch some ones electronics and if it is stolen then so what.

Any other recommendations?

Since you are a guy, this won't probably work for you, but for the gals....a light jacket on the chair, or a scarf. I have done both of those. Or a beach bag with nothing of value in it.

For the guys, all I can think of is what you said...a book perhaps, or a ball cap?

Even leaving your coffee cup, or a small bit of food on a plate, doesn't cut it because they will clean it up..quicker than you can blink...

How about carrying a small sign (about the size of a Kindle) that says, "Please don't steal my table...I'll be right back!"

Trouble is, I've also sensed there is growing "chair hog" problem in the buffet, with people attempting to "reserve" tables for unreasonable amounts of time, so finding a workable solution might be difficult. I'm pretty much resigned to losing my table if I get up. :-(

Took my first cruise and really enjoyed it. Anyways one of the biggest hassles was getting a seat and keeping it at the buffet. I would get up and come back and find some other people sitting down.

Any other recommendations?

Hah, I had to laugh, this happened to me so often.. I got really sick of coming back with my cup of tea or whatever else I hadn't been able to carry on the first trip or having gone to get the next course and either my whole meal was gone or someone else was sitting in my place!

I made a small sign that said... "Yes, I am still sitting here enjoying my meal... but you are welcome to join me if you can't find anywhere else to sit"

It worked, my plate etc wasn't cleared while I was away and sometimes people happily joined me! Lots of people stopped to read it and then spoke with me when I returned so it was a great icebreaker too.

Hah, I had to laugh, this happened to me so often.. I got really sick of coming back with my cup of tea or whatever else I hadn't been able to carry on the first trip or having gone to get the next course and either my whole meal was gone or someone else was sitting in my place!

I made a small sign that said... "Yes, I am still sitting here enjoying my meal... but you are welcome to join me if you can't find anywhere else to sit"

It worked, my plate etc wasn't cleared while I was away and sometimes people happily joined me! Lots of people stopped to read it and then spoke with me when I returned so it was a great icebreaker too.

ba

I like that idea! It sounds friendly and a lot of times people are looser and more relaxed on cruises (I would like to think so!)

Sometimes I would just use plastic bag from CVS etc.. and stuff it with dailies/excursion things from the ship.

I did find though I would sometimes switch my seat for dessert.

I usually ask one of the servers to keep an eye on the table for me and that has worked so far.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

That is also what I did on my recent solo cruise on Epic. On the nights when I had dinner in the Buffet, I first scouted out my preferred table and then ordered a glass of wine and told the steward that I really liked it cold and I was going to the buffet to get my dinner. When I returned he/she would bring it right over super cold!! AND my table was empty.

Then when I got up to get tea or a second helping of something I would catch the eye of one of the wait staff and ask them to "watch" my wine and table cause I was at the buffet.

Worked really well for me. As long as you tell the wait staff that you are returning they are really good about holding your place-- they did not pick up my dinner dishes till I returned with my next course-- so then no one sat down there of course.

The trick I found is to ask (hmmm maybe I need to remember that on a daily basis for my non-cruise life too)

I usually just leave a book on the table. I have a denim tote bag that I put some things in to carry with and I'll leave that sometimes. Even when I went on my last cruise with a friend we both liked to go get our food at the same time, so we left sunglasses, hat, shirt, etc. on the table. It works fine, the servers take the used plates, but no one sits down while I'm gone.

• 1 month later...
I usually ask one of the servers to keep an eye on the table for me and that has worked so far.

I have done this.......

I'll say,I will be right back............

I also bring my personal cup/or mug......

I don't mind sharing my table...........

Please don't sit where I was sitting.............

Why not just sit somewhere else? You may meet some great people that way. :D

Because you could spend all day trying to get some food.

Round 1. Bring plate and cutlery to table.

Round 2. Go for a drink. Come back, food is gone, table is gone. Put drink on another table.

Round 3. Go back for food. Come back, drink is gone, table is gone. Put food on another table

Rinse. Repeat ;)

Because you could spend all day trying to get some food.

Round 1. Bring plate and cutlery to table.

Round 2. Go for a drink. Come back, food is gone, table is gone. Put drink on another table.

Round 3. Go back for food. Come back, drink is gone, table is gone. Put food on another table

Rinse. Repeat ;)

I soooo agree with you...............

The Buffet area gets very busy @ Lunch time..........

I've done a B2B solo cruise last winter. I gotta admit that the first couple of days I ran into the same kind of problems. But I learned a handy trick. I always take my bagpack (even when it's empty), hang it around my chair and make sure I have at least half glass of drinks on the table. That sorted it out. I also left my cutlery at the table. Staff noticed, and most of the other travellers don't take the seat when there's still a drink, cutlery and a bagpack left ;-)

• 5 weeks later...

I tend to avoid the congested buffet area just because I would rather have a little bit of quiet. That area in the back by the fish and chips restaurant on the second level of the buffet is so nice to look out the window, listen to music, and have breakfast or a snack. Up there since it's a smaller area, there's only 1 or 2 waiters/bussers so I never lost my plate.

I find asking the passengers at the next table to keep an eye on my table while I go for more coffee, whatever, works really well. I'm never gone for longer than a few minutes and this method has allowed me to meet some really nice/interesting people. No one has ever said no and a few have actually sought me out later in the Windjammer, taken the table next to me and asked me to return the favor which I did. Last year I met two lovely women from Chicago this way and we remain in touch today.:)

Archived