People mover from the dock

Essexlass2

I understand there is a 'people mover' from the cruise ship dock VTP to Piazza Roma - is this a monorail or a moving pavement/sidewalk?

Also, does anyone know if I would be able to buy some Limoncello sweets in Venice?

The People Mover is an automatic (no operator onboard) elevated railway system (like a monorail) that connects the parking lot on Tronchetto Island to the port and then to the Piazale Roma. It costs 1 Euro per person (one way) and you will need Euros to feed the ticket vending machine. The cars are enclosed and very spacious with a few seats and much more room for simply standing. The ride from the port to P. Roma takes about 3 min. The port station for the People Mover can be a 5-15 min walk from your pier depending which pier you are docked and how fast you walk. Some ships provide a shuttle bus between their ship and the People Mover...but this in not something you can count one.

You can certainly buy Limoncello in Venice, but not sure if any of the stores (or candy stores) have Limoncello sweets.

Hank

The People Mover is NOT a moving sidewalk. It is an elevated train. Only two stop, one at each end. Cost is 1 Euro per ride.

Actually there are 3 stops there is another one after the cruise terminal where the ferries etc stop

Moving sidewalk and yes you will be able to purchase limoncello.

Enjoy!

Have no idea of what you are talking about...but the People mover is NOT a "Moving Sidewalk." The enclosed monorail-like cars operate on tracks (similar to railroad tracks).

Hank

Thank you so much folks. I got a little confused after the first two postings which seemed to be conflicting, but now its all crystal clear and we can't wait to get there and see for ourselves. We shall definitely be using the Peoplemover :D

• 2 weeks later...
It is very easy to use BUT it starts later on Sunday. I must have missed this bit of info so disembarkation was a little harder than it would have been (we trekked over the bridge, pretty easy to do actually)

Does anyone know how to get back to the ship without using the people mover? We overnight there and will come back to the ship after it closes. Is there a pedestrian walkway??

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

How to get back to the ship... from where??

From Piazzale Roma it's about a 15 minute walk. Follow the main road as if you were going to the causeway but take a left into the Port. Can't miss it.

But if you're at St Marks or somewhere else in venice you might find it easier to take the Alilaguna directly to the pier. It runs until after midnight and only costs 7E. (OTOH, riding a vaporeto from St Marks to PRoma at night is a lovely experience)

Use this ORIENTATION map to get your bearings; zoom in to see PRoma and the pier. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/orientation-map.htm

(OTOH, riding a vaporeto from St Marks to PRoma at night is a lovely experience)

Use this ORIENTATION map to get your bearings; zoom in to see PRoma and the pier. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/orientation-map.htm

That is the route I was thinking. My question is when you get off at P.Roma how do you get from there to the ship.

I have the impression that you would take the people mover to accomplish that, but it doesn't run 24 hours a day.

I assume there is some way to walk from the PRoma to the ship?

thanks!

Thanks for the link to a great map. I've enlarged and printed it to take with us. :D

This is a great map- will make planning a walking route much easier

Thank you- will be in Venice this Thursday- can't wait!:D

That is the route I was thinking. My question is when you get off at P.Roma how do you get from there to the ship.

I have the impression that you would take the people mover to accomplish that, but it doesn't run 24 hours a day.

I assume there is some way to walk from the PRoma to the ship?

thanks!

You just follow the road for a few blocks. It's very simple.

When you get off the vaporetto, the Grand Canal is on one side and the ticket office and shops are on the other. The shops back onto the road. Walk to the road and go right. If you go left you'll end up in the PRoma which is basically a large parking lot for buses.

Use the orientation map I posted ... zoom in to see the detail. It really is quite easy.

I think the PM ends at 11pm most nights. You'll find info in that link I posted....

Archived