Northern Lights

ntvsdgrl

This was posted on the Denali FB page from last night. I'm there in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping my chances are just as good. I'll be checking my Alaska app to see the Aurora forecast.

I've seen far more dramatic. So I do hope you get lucky too. IF you have your own transportation, get out of the hotel area (I've been out plenty of times with my nightgown under my coat- tucked in my pants. :) ) Darkness is necessary and it just is not dark enough to really appreciate the aurora, from nearby hotel lights.

Either last year or the year before, there were some pretty impressive aurora displays in early August as far south as Anchorage. It is definitely getting to the time of year when you can see the Northern Lights. Check the forecast each night and be prepared to be outside for hours at a time.

I was in Healy last night looking from 1:30 to 2:30 and saw nothing! Was very dark at our B&B.

Tonight has a better northern lights forecast, we we are on the big city and bright lights of anchorage.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You need more than an hour of time investment. I would have been looking far earlier than 1:30a. With there being no display at 1:30a a better option would have been for you to go back to bed and set your alarm for 2:30/3a, and look again. IF there was cloud cover, then forget it, you won't see any aurora. Was your forecast rated "active", if not, you wasted your time anyway.

Actually I have seen photos from aurora activity even with substantial cloud cover, so that is definitely not a litmus test.

A more significant time investment than an hour is usually necessary though. Often I am out for 2-3 hours and also have the forecast alerts.

Actually I have seen photos from aurora activity even with substantial cloud cover, so that is definitely not a litmus test.

A more significant time investment than an hour is usually necessary though. Often I am out for 2-3 hours and also have the forecast alerts.

Perhaps we have a different idea of "substantial", but auroral activity occurs much higher than cloud cover, and it is not bright enough to show through.

Perhaps we have a different idea of "substantial", but auroral activity occurs much higher than cloud cover, and it is not bright enough to show through.

This has been my experience as well. If there are clouds, you see clouds, nothing else. Even a full moon can diminish the intensity of aurora, with a little more "fade". I'm looking for another March trip next year. :) Just for aurora.

We live in Fairbanks, which is located along the southern band of the great aurora viewing. I've never seen the aurora showing through "substantial" cloud cover. Clouds are not back lit by the aurora. There is one photo published by a professional photographer which shows the aurora peeking through openings in the clouds, but it is such an uninteresting photo you really have to wonder why the guy bothered to publish it.

Archived