Vantage fares not worth the money

dodgydino

The only time you have to pre pay gratuities with Celebrity is if you choose Select dining, otherwise you can choose to pre pay if you wish, or have them added onto your on board account.

I always forget there is set dining, that is something that I would never consider anyway, I don't get why they just don't get everyone to pay the tips in the same way

We are booked on a cruise next March, ages until final payment and yet getaway fares mean that we are paying over £400 more for a balcony gte for 2.

I am very unhappy as I foolishly believed that by booking early I would be getting a price drop guarantee .

We will not be booking again.

I have been following with interest the discussion re. the above. Getaway Fares are fine if you reside in the vicinity or close by Southamptom but for us in Scotland the difference is that with the Vantage Fare we get free bus travel from Glasgow. (a saving of £131) and we also got £100 OBC. We went Getaway Fare in June. We did not qualify for OBC or Free Bus and had to pay fuel etc from Scotland to Southampton with an overnight stay at a hotel with ALL the hassle of the long drive. I calculated what the difference for us would have been and it was minimal. Taking into consideration the stress of getting to Southampton it was well worth it.

I don't think that the vantage fares are not worth the money as I think there are some excellent prices out there. My objection is the none existent price promise that is being used. I have just priced a 7 night cruise on the Oceana to northern Spain and France. For me, Diane and our grandson we were quoted £1561 for an inside cabin. With this coach fares were included which for us is worth £360 travelling from Newcastle meaning in real terms the cruise costs £1200 for 3 of us. Can't see us getting a better getaway deal than that especially as it is school holidays. Just want to see a return to proper pricing instead of trying to mislead people with promises that are not going to happen.

I too am fed up that the price we paid has dropped by £800 - its a disgrace - choosing your cabin and £75ea obc does not soften the blow. I regret that we have booked for next year. P and O should be rewarding early bookers not upsetting regular customers. Their price promise is not worth anything. :confused:

Anyone reading this forum would, over the last year or so, have seen countless threads on this issue and would know exactly how all this works. So it is no use maoning now. You were happy with the price when you paid it. Please stop all this whinging.

That still doesn't help people who have seen the price of their cruises fall dramatically. I can understand that cabins have to be filled but what I don't get is why the people who have paid the least get the upgrades. I did get an upgrade on my vantage cruise last month but only to a cabin that no one else would have wanted because of the intermittent noise throughout the night every night.

I normally have to book vantage because of work holiday allocation, so yes Simonpjd I am whinging and will go on until the process becomes fairer.

When I booked last year Vantage came out a few weeks later and I did get OBC but could have had a balcony instead of an inside for the price and at my time of booking there was nothing that told me Getaways would be introduced hence making the price promise useless..:confused:

I think it is wrong to upgrade getaway fare bookings to a much better cabin, they should be given the cheapest cabins and the vantage bookings offered a better cabin if they wish to move, the reason I chose not to be given an automatic upgrade on my vantage booking is because I wanted the choice of cabin, I would have elected to have an upgrade if I was offered a cabin number and than had to the choice to accept or decline as what P and O consider an upgrade I might not

I think it is wrong to upgrade getaway fare bookings to a much better cabin, they should be given the cheapest cabins and the vantage bookings offered a better cabin if they wish to move, the reason I chose not to be given an automatic upgrade on my vantage booking is because I wanted the choice of cabin, I would have elected to have an upgrade if I was offered a cabin number and than had to the choice to accept or decline as what P and O consider an upgrade I might not

Getaway fare bookers are not upgraded. They are slotted in somewhere above the grade they have paid for. They have no choice and cannot turn an upgrade down. It is interesting that there are threads all over the Internet from vantage fare cruisers complaining about being given an upgrade they did not want.

If P&O had to contact everyone and ask them about upgrades they would have to employ a lot more staff and the price would have to go up to pay for them.

It is far easier for the company slotting late bookers in where there is a space and wherever the cabin is.

Personally I will accept any upgrade.

Gan Canny

Dai

I have just returned from a getaway mini cruise. Three cabins were booked for 3 couples and we thought we wouldn't be anywhere near each other. Couldn't believe our luck when the cabins were allocated and we were all next door to each other:cool: We also all had freedom dining.:)

I normally have to book vantage because of work holiday allocation

I've seen this type of comment a couple of times. I do understand the need for scheduling one's vacations in advance; however, nothing says you have to book in advance. Choose your dates, select a cruise with a couple of alternatives, then sit tight to see if a Getaway fare appears. If so, you've saved yourself a pretty penny, if not you pay the same Vantage fare as you would have booking in advance.

I think the main problem is the whole 'price guarantee' thing, which is just smoke and mirrors. I think remove that, and P&O have actually made a good attempt at giving advanced bookers some added value.

I've seen this type of comment a couple of times. I do understand the need for scheduling one's vacations in advance; however, nothing says you have to book in advance. Choose your dates, select a cruise with a couple of alternatives, then sit tight to see if a Getaway fare appears. If so, you've saved yourself a pretty penny, if not you pay the same Vantage fare as you would have booking in advance.

I think the main problem is the whole 'price guarantee' thing, which is just smoke and mirrors. I think remove that, and P&O have actually made a good attempt at giving advanced bookers some added value.

There is only one cruise suitable for our 2 weeks next year as we are restricted at the moment from flying. If we wait and don't get on the ship, we can't sail anywhere else. We have just come back from a very good deal on a getaway cruise but this was a mini cruise and we were able to fit it in.

This forum is for people to express opinions - my opinion being different from someone elses doesnt mean im whinging or moaning. If people are so fed up with 'whinging' thenmaybe its a good idea for them not to link into the vantage fares topic

This forum is for people to express opinions - my opinion being different from someone elses doesnt mean im whinging or moaning. If people are so fed up with 'whinging' thenmaybe its a good idea for them not to link into the vantage fares topic

I agree with you Rosie. Everyone has an opinion and so it should be without being accused of whinging.:eek:

Choosing a Vantage fare also include the advantage of picking your cabin. So you chose that too. You have got exactly what you paid for. #givemestrength

Simonpjd. You are being somewhat unfair. There are many people who feel misled by the 'price promise'. Whilst you may have read the very small fine print, many believed that if the price fell then they would be compensated. Yes you dont agree, but many dont agree with you. If the Price Promise was wholly supported then there would be a lot less threads on this forum.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The thing is with the 'Price Promise' is it can work either way. Personally I agree with Simon we were happy to pay what was listed so we shouldn't complain.

This years cruise with P&O has dropped in price by about £300 which really isn't too bad I find and I don't really mind as I booked the cruise 10 months in advance and chose to upgrade myself.

Next Years cruise with RCI on Oasis for her transatlantic the price dropped £600! Of course these staterooms sold out within days now the cheapest starts at about £500-£600 more than I paid.

Back to the 'Price Promise' It does mention than only P&O will know about the benefit applied until you check-in/board the ship.

Vantage Fare Terms & Conditions

The Price Promise applies to Vantage Fares published by P&O Cruises, where the Vantage Fare on a holiday you have already booked has been reduced, and the new Vantage Fare applies to the same cruise and grade of cabin, sold under the same terms and conditions (such as the deposit and cancellation terms and whether it is possible to select a cabin number). The complimentary benefit applied shall be at the absolute discretion of P&O Cruises. The Price Promise does not apply to our Getaway Fares, holiday add-ons, nor where P&O Cruises is not the tour operator selling the holiday. Complimentary benefits are non-refundable and non-transferable. Cancellation fees are assessed on the original price of your booking. Peninsular Club fare discounts will continue to be offered but the resultant fare is not classed as a reduced Vantage Fare. If you are a Peninsular Club member your on board discount applies after all on board spending money has been used.

On board spending money

Available on cruises of 7 nights or more. On board spending money varies by cruise duration, is based on the number of nights spent on board and applies to the first two passengers sharing a cabin. This can be spent in the on board shops, bars, restaurants, spas and towards shore excursions. On board spending money is non-refundable and non-transferable. If you are a Peninsular Club member your on board discount applies after all on board spending money has been used.

Car parking

Available on all Southampton roundtrip cruises of 7 nights or more Leave your car in a secure car park (one space per booking). Please let us know at the time of booking if you wish to use this service and then contact Cruise & Passenger Services Ltd (the operator) direct on 0845 071 3939 or via http://www.candps.com/parking to arrange your car parking no less than 35 days in advance of your departure.

Coach transfers

Available on all Southampton roundtrip cruises of 7 nights or more. Coach transfers are available to all passengers on the booking. Please let us know at the time of booking if you wish to use this service and then contact Eavesway Travel (the operator) direct on 01942 727 985 no later than 56 days prior to departure. A list of cities that have pick up points is located in the 2013/2014 brochure published April 2012.

Airport parking

Available on all Caribbean two way fly-cruises. Airport parking is offsite at the relevant airport (one space per booking) with transfers between the car park and airport terminal. Please let us know at the time of booking if you wish to use this service and then contact APH Airport Parking and Hotels Ltd (the operator) direct on 0844 871 7561, quoting cruise booking reference number, no less than 35 days in advance of your departure, to book your car parking. Amendments to car details can be made up to 48 hours prior to departure day at no additional cost. In most cases airport transfers operate every 10 to 15 minutes however some will operate on a demand basis. Passengers must check with APH and arrive in plenty of time to park their car before checking in for their flight. If you wish to cancel your booking you can do so up to 48 hours before departure, but please ensure you notify both P&O Cruises and APH.

These benefits are not combinable. One benefit is applicable per booking

And there are many other advantages when booking a 'Vantage Fare'

These are:

Vantage Fares will benefit from

all of the following advantages:

• Price Promise protection
  • Your choice of cabin type, location and number
  • Your choice of family and single cabins
  • One of the following benefits included in your fare:
    - On board spending money or
    - Car parking in Southampton or
    - Return coach travel to Southampton or
    - Airport parking on selected fly-cruises
  • Flexibility to make amendments to, or even change, your cruise entirely up to 90 days prior to departure, subject to our booking terms and conditions
  • Access to Family and Share Saver reductions

This is why when I book with P&O again I'll use the 'Vantage Fare'

Happy sailing

Robert

Getaway fare bookers are not upgraded. They are slotted in somewhere above the grade they have paid for. They have no choice and cannot turn an upgrade down. It is interesting that there are threads all over the Internet from vantage fare cruisers complaining about being given an upgrade they did not want.

If P&O had to contact everyone and ask them about upgrades they would have to employ a lot more staff and the price would have to go up to pay for them.

It is far easier for the company slotting late bookers in where there is a space and wherever the cabin is.

Personally I will accept any upgrade.

Gan Canny

Dai

I was lead to believe that if you elected to have an upgrade on a vantage fare you could not turn it down either and some were unhappy with their upgrades but their original cabins they chose had already been booked to someone else , that is why I opted for no upgrade, is this not correct ?

I take your point about it not being practical to ask if an upgrade is wanted

But I am sure I saw somewhere that a getaway fare booked an inside and was given a balcony, true that is above the grade they booked but I would class that as a good upgrade, why was that balcony not offered to someone on a vantage fare, that is what seems unfair to me.

I am getting some stick here. Lets get a couple of things straight.

1 P&O have made a right old mess of this. The biggest issue being their 'price promise' which, as we all know, is not worth the paper it is written on. I think it would appear here very quickly but, as far as we know, there have been a grand total of ZERO occasions where Vantage fare passengers have had a refund dur to the price falling. So without a doubt P&O are treating their early payers very poorly indeed. But this is not new news. There have been countless threads all saying the same thing.

2 Dai is correct. Getaway passengers get what is left - they pay for a grade and will get that OR better. And yes there are stories about pax booking an inside cabin and getting a suite which really does not seem fair. But P&O are just filling the ship. Live with it. In fact one of the moaners here admitted they booked a recent Getaway and got a better grade.

So I am not saying P&O are great. They are not.

But also enough of the moaning - you got what you paid for. And maybe you think you deserve more and it is not fair. Well life isn't fair. But you will still have a great holiday on some of the finest ships afloat. Enjoy it.

As I have said before the major problem came when Vantage was introduced and people booked thinking that the price promise covered all bookings made after that point, rather than Vantage bookings made after that point. Getaway fare's were introduced sometime after that. Now those who booked between those two points have the most to grumble about. Before Vantage bookers got what they paid for knowing that the fare could/would come down near to sailing. A number even got extra OBC as they had paid more than the Vantage. We got some OBC for one of our cruises but not the other.

Those who booked after the Getaway fares were announced have no complaint as the system being used was then all out in the open.

This year very early bookers, in the first month or two of them going on sale, have got good discounts for next year. We have 25 % for one of our cruises.

It is noticeable that the getaway fares just announced for Jan 14 to Mar 14 are much closer to the Vantage fare. Netherlands ones I have looked at show a discount of less than 10%. Now this may change as you get to within a few weeks of the sailing as in the past but we shall see.

Personally I think the company should compensate those I have identified above with something as a gesture of good will. Perhaps an amount of OBC say £250 for a 2 week cruise and £125 for the shorter ones.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Archived