OBC - from HAL-VISA credit card - use it or lose it?

OlsSalt

Using the built-up OBC from DH's HAL Visa card for the first time.

Visa statement says he has XX,000 "rewards points". HAL Visa website allows the redemption of these OBC "reward points" in any amount one wants to use for OBC on an upcoming HAL cruise.

Question: if he redeems more HAL Visa OBC "reward points" than we use during that particular cruise:

(1) do they get carried over to another HAL cruise on our HAL website account,

(2) refunded back to the HAL Visa card to use later for another cruise, or

(3) basically does he lose them, if on this cruise he does not use them.

Can't find the fine print that explains this on either the HAL Visa or HAL websites - anyone have experience with this situation. Thanks!

I had the same questions the first time I redeemed the points and couldn't find the answer anywhere. I decided to use the points for the Cruise Discount. Since I had paid for the cruise using the HAL Visa, I got a credit back to my statement. I had a minus point balance for several months until I charged enough to get me back into positive point territory, but I felt I got the value of the points.

I had the same questions the first time I redeemed the points and couldn't find the answer anywhere. I decided to use the points for the Cruise Discount. Since I had paid for the cruise using the HAL Visa, I got a credit back to my statement. I had a minus point balance for several months until I charged enough to get me back into positive point territory, but I felt I got the value of the points.

Thanks for replying.

I am not sure what you mean you used the HALVisa rewards points for a "cruise discount". Do you mean you used them against the full fare to "discount" the final cost of the cruise; instead of using them for OBC?

Glad to know we are not the only ones having trouble finding answers, though we have not tried to contact Visa or HAL yet about this.

If you go to the BarclayCards Web Site where you can redeem your points, you will see a picture saying FREE CRUISES AND DISCOUNTS (it's to the left of the picture for ONBOARD CREDITS).

You can select a Cruise Discount for "as little as 10,000 points" (on the left) or a Free Cruise "for 150,000 points" (on the right).

10,000 points gives you a $100 credit to your credit card, just like 10,000 points would give you a $100 onboard credit. (Each 10,000 point increment gives you another $100 credit.)

Since I couldn't figure out what would happen if I didn't use all of the onboard credit, I figured I'd take the credit to the credit card.

On my next credit card statement, I had a Credit Balance for cash and a negative point balance. I then purchased a wine package and a shore excursion online. On the following credit card statement, I owed about $10 and had gotten up to 1 positive point.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll try to explain it another way.

We had a time when we did not use all of our OBC. We did get it back in cash. Make sure you know how your OBC breaks out. They wanted to keep it saying it was a future cruise credit from booking on the last ship. I gave them a breakout of what our OBC was. We had the FCC, stockholder, TA, a HAL credit, credit card and one other. I just laid out the numbers for them taking tips and on board purchases off of all credits first except for the HAL credit card. The girl finally understood and offered be cash or to put accredit back on my card. I took the cash.

If you go to the BarclayCards Web Site where you can redeem your points, you will see a picture saying FREE CRUISES AND DISCOUNTS (it's to the left of the picture for ONBOARD CREDITS).

You can select a Cruise Discount for "as little as 10,000 points" (on the left) or a Free Cruise "for 150,000 points" (on the right).

10,000 points gives you a $100 credit to your credit card, just like 10,000 points would give you a $100 onboard credit. (Each 10,000 point increment gives you another $100 credit.)

Since I couldn't figure out what would happen if I didn't use all of the onboard credit, I figured I'd take the credit to the credit card.

On my next credit card statement, I had a Credit Balance for cash and a negative point balance. I then purchased a wine package and a shore excursion online. On the following credit card statement, I owed about $10 and had gotten up to 1 positive point.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll try to explain it another way.

Thanks for the follow-up. I am trying to relay this third hand here and didn't know enough about the card itself when I asked the question. Looks like we need to look at the Barclays website and get more background. You helped a lot. Did someone mention ....free cruise for 150,000 points ...... we are getting there! :p

I don't know when you got your card, but there was a change in the Terms and Conditions since I got mine. The points now expire after five years.

Yes, if you look at the FREE CRUISES AND DISCOUNTS tab you can get a Free Cruise (actually 150,000 points gives you $3000)!

Don't do the OBC... use your points for discount on your cruise. After final payment - redeem your points and they will apply the amount to your statement as a credit (aka payment). It's the best deal, simplest, least hassle.

I'm currently at 85000 pts and hoping to make 110000 by my cruise next August and then take $1500 off my bill.

Archived