Warning heading to NY port this weekend

bean24

Anyone going on the Gem tomorrow 8/17 or Breakaway 8/18 avoid the 59th Street bridge. There was a truck fire this morning and it will be closed on and off, through the weekend. Of course this will also increase traffic on the other Queens-Manhattan crossings.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Anyone going on the Gem tomorrow 8/17 or Breakaway 8/18 avoid the 59th Street bridge. There was a truck fire this morning and it will be closed on and off, through the weekend. Of course this will also increase traffic on the other Queens-Manhattan crossings.

Are you saying, because of this truck fire, that the bridge will be closed part of the

weekend?

According to CBS news, they have to replace two i-beams (?) that are "slightly out of line." They hope to have it done by Sunday a.m. I would try to avoid the bridge, as they are having intermittent closures to do the repairs.

The Bridge will remain open all weekend both ways. The damage was on the South side of the Bridge(the Bridge has two levels). They have reversed the lower level north side to Queens and the upper level North side will remain open to Manhattan....but there will be delays. The midtown tunnel will see some increased traffic as well.

Also the Brooklyn Bridge will be closed to Manhattan bound traffic all day Sunday- as part of scheduled maintenance.

alternatives include the TriBoro(RFK) Bridge or the Williamsburg or Manhattan bridges.

Those on the west side of Manhattan(west side highway) should not see a significant problem from these.

Funny thing is my parents flight to Italy was delayed over 2 hours yesterday. The pilot was stuck in traffic in NYC and couldn't get to JFK on time.

It was a mess yesterday. The fire happened just before noon. I was traveling down the FDR around 4 pm and it added a half hour to that drive(traffic backed up from the approaches to the bridge onto the FDR) but those traveling either over the Ed Koch Bridge or the midtown tunnel had two hour delays.

Thank you! We are arriving by charter bus Sunday a.m. I will be sure to mention this to the driver.

It is highly unlikely a bus from Jersey will approach Manhattan from Queens.

But, I am sure a Jersey bus driver will appreciate passenger advice. :p

(...meant in pure jest; have a great trip!)

It is highly unlikely a bus from Jersey will approach Manhattan from Queens.

But, I am sure a Jersey bus driver will appreciate passenger advice. :p

(...meant in pure jest; have a great trip!)

Ooops! After awhile I thought about this and realized we usually come through the Lincoln Tunnel and not a bridge. I never know where anything is in NY when I hear/read about it. As long as we make our sailing, I'm happy!!

It was a mess yesterday. The fire happened just before noon. I was traveling down the FDR around 4 pm and it added a half hour to that drive(traffic backed up from the approaches to the bridge onto the FDR) but those traveling either over the Ed Koch Bridge or the midtown tunnel had two hour delays.

My DD lives on 61st and 1st and is so happy she was a LGA just before the accident. Flew to Miami for the weekend. Tough life..lol Hopefully things get back to "normal" soon. My turn on he Breakaway next Sunday.

:)Playing the 59th Street Bridge Song AKA Feeling Groovy on my harp.

Cindy

BIG Simon & Garfunkle fan.

Archived