DVD Players On Board The Explorer

I kind of pondered as to whether or not to ask this question. But compared to some of the other questions that I see asked, I said to myself.......what the hell..........lol.

Does anyone know if the DVD player in the Suites are capable of playing Blu-Ray format movies?

Thanks in advance.

You may want to call RCI, but, I doubt it. They wouldn't call them DVD players if they were actually Blue Ray players...at least I wouldn't. Enjoy your cruise.

Call RCI.......bite you're tongue. You can't even get a consistant answer from their reps if you asked them what is the total of 2 + 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first response is..."What is Blu-Ray".........lol

I kind of pondered as to whether or not to ask this question. But compared to some of the other questions that I see asked, I said to myself.......what the hell..........lol.

Does anyone know if the DVD player in the Suites are capable of playing Blu-Ray format movies?

Thanks in advance.

I think this question is alot better than some that get asked like you noted..... It's a good question actually. Unfortunately I have never stayed in anything higher than a JS so cannot answer the question.

Call RCI.......bite you're tongue. You can't even get a consistant answer from their reps if you asked them what is the total of 2 + 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first response is..."What is Blu-Ray".........lol

Little hard - and insulting - on the RCI reps. While they may not always have all the answers, they aren't as you describe.

BTW - DVD players cannot play Blu-Ray format....:rolleyes: Maybe you should have pondered some more. :)

Thanks in advance.

The short answer is '"no" the DVD players on EOS as strictly DVD players and are not capable of playing Blue Rays.

As CigarKing said, I would imagine if they had Blue Ray players, RCI would take to opportunity to market that feature.

One of the only times I have to actually watch movies is on a cruise so I enjoy bringing all of those DVDs when we travel and relaxing in my cabin each afternoon with a movie.

FWIW, I agree it is a little tough to get a clear answer when contacting RCI customer service so what I usually do when I have a suite question, is contact the concierge directly via email. It may take them a couple days to reply but they have always been helpful and in a couple cases if I had a very specific question, they would physically go to my reserved cabin on turnaround day and research my question then get back to me with an answer. On one of the ships (I think it was Celebrity Mercury) the concierge even took a couple pictures and sent them back to me.

Thanks to all that responded. I might have come up with a solution, but I won't know until I get into the cabin. I have a portable Blu-Ray player with an HDMI output. If the TV in the cabin is High Def with and HDMI input than that will solve the problem. I'll just have to bring an HDMI cable with me. If not, I'll end up watching the port shopping channel...........lol. I'm kind of a night owl.

Little hard - and insulting - on the RCI reps. While they may not always have all the answers, they aren't as you describe.

BTW - DVD players cannot play Blu-Ray format....:rolleyes: Maybe you should have pondered some more. :)

Sorry that you disagree, but I can only base my opinion upon my own personal experiences and dealings with RCI reps on the phone.

Thanks to all that responded. I might have come up with a solution, but I won't know until I get into the cabin. I have a portable Blu-Ray player with an HDMI output. If the TV in the cabin is High Def with and HDMI input than that will solve the problem. I'll just have to bring an HDMI cable with me. If not, I'll end up watching the port shopping channel...........lol. I'm kind of a night owl.

You may also need to bring a universal remote with you. read some threads about bringing Nintendo etc. and RCI has the inputs and outputs blocked but they can be unblocked if you have the universal remote. Not sure if its Similiar to what your looking at doing but thought I'd mention it.

You may also need to bring a universal remote with you. read some threads about bringing Nintendo etc. and RCI has the inputs and outputs blocked but they can be unblocked if you have the universal remote. Not sure if its Similiar to what your looking at doing but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks Ken

Zippy pup,

We just got off the Explorer yesterday. In our suite, we had a PS3 and it played our blu ray movies we brought with us. We only had two blu ray and the rest were DVDs. We had no issues watching the movies. They had a nice selection of movies to rent on demand as well, many were newer movies. Late night tv for us after movies was the cartoon channel with adult swim.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Mary

Archived