US Customs

DP

When one leaves from Puerto Rico into the US do you have to clear US customs?

Do you mean when getting off a cruise ship in Puerto Rico or a flight leaving from Puerto Rico to a US airport?

I noticed you're from Canada, so if you mean the flight hopefully someone can give you a definite answer. We're US citizens, so we do not have to go through customs when arriving on a flight back to the US that originates in Puerto Rico since Puerto Rico is a US Territory, but it may be different for non-citizens.

When getting off a cruise ship, everyone goes through customs in Puerto Rico when disembarking the ship. I do think they have a separate customs for non-US citizens when disembarking a ship. Hope this helps some, but hopefully someone who isn't a non-US citizen can give you a definite answer but this will at least "bump" your question. :)

I am flying from Puerto Rico with final destination in Detroit. So are you saying I do not have to go through customs when I arrive in Detroit. Even though my residence is Canada I am a US citizen.

I am flying from Puerto Rico with final destination in Detroit. So are you saying I do not have to go through customs when I arrive in Detroit. Even though my residence is Canada I am a US citizen.

If you are getting off a cruise ship in San Juan you will go through customs when you get off your ship, after you collect your baggage. You will not go through customs in Detroit.

Yes--you will go through customs at the pier when you get off the cruise ship because you will have been out of the country and you are returning to the US. [there is also an agricultural inspection at the airport]

You will not go through customs when you land in Detroit. PR is US territory. It is like taking a flight from Dallas to Detroit. [no customs]

Archived