Add A Jewish Style Deli on Royal

If you didn't have an upcharge the line would be so long you would never get a sandwich. If it was a real pastrami sandwich, how does $10 sound.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would be happy to spend 10 for a real Pastrami sandwich, I know it will cost me about 15 or so when we go to NYC in 2 weeks, and thats not counting the fries and drink

The only comparison if a Boars head type meat and fresh cured meats is the price I will pay. I would never pay more than $8-10 for a processed meat sandwich, but would easily pay $15-20 for a sandwich at a Katz like place.

That being said, what would be a reasonable upcharge. Nothing is free.

Boars Head meats are not processed meats. That is why if you go to your grocer they are anywhere from 1.5X - 3X the price of processed meats. I get what you are saying though; you don't want an ordinary cold cut sandwich.

If it was processed meats I would pay $0 and never order it.

Boars Head sandwiches (major difference) I will pay up to $10 for on land. Good deli sandwiches, I agree with you, are in the $15 - 20 range.

On a cruise I would pay somewhere in the $5-10 range for a true deli-style sandwich. Any more than that and there are enough other free dining options and / or more unique upcharge options.

Maybe $20 for a mile high with a basket of fresh made bread, 2 doc brown sodas, pickles, and 2 matzoh balls with broth (enough so each person gets a cup of soup) so that two people can have a lunch; or basically $10 a person (but that $10 has to include MORE than just a sandwich). I'm certainly not going to spend $40 for a deli-style lunch while on a cruise with so many other options on board.

I don't even feel like they need to have tons of options; offer 3 or 4 meats, 2 or 3 sides, some pickles, soda, and black and white cookies. Get rid of the ***damned cupcake shop. If they try to have everything the quality would suffer and the complaints would start. Just do a little, and do it really well. They should keep it simple.

Boars Head meats are not processed meats. That is why if you go to your grocer they are anywhere from 1.5X - 3X the price of processed meats. I get what you are saying though; you don't want an ordinary cold cut sandwich.

If it was processed meats I would pay $0 and never order it.

Boars Head sandwiches (major difference) I will pay up to $10 for on land. Good deli sandwiches, I agree with you, are in the $15 - 20 range.

On a cruise I would pay somewhere in the $5-10 range for a true deli-style sandwich. Any more than that and there are enough other free dining options and / or more unique upcharge options.

Maybe $20 for a mile high with a basket of fresh made bread, 2 doc brown sodas, pickles, and 2 matzoh balls with broth (enough so each person gets a cup of soup) so that two people can have a lunch; or basically $10 a person (but that $10 has to include MORE than just a sandwich). I'm certainly not going to spend $40 for a deli-style lunch while on a cruise with so many other options on board.

I don't even feel like they need to have tons of options; offer 3 or 4 meats, 2 or 3 sides, some pickles, soda, and black and white cookies. Get rid of the ***damned cupcake shop. If they try to have everything the quality would suffer and the complaints would start. Just do a little, and do it really well. They should keep it simple.

Sounds good to me, but I am tempted to say bring on the stuffed cabbage........lol.

The odds of a Jewish Deli on Royal Caribbean being any good are low. It is difficult enough to even find decent ones in the northeast outside of New York City.

I live on the Mexican border in way-the heck southeastern Texas. Originally a Jersey girl.

There is a local chain called "NY Deli" and they get their meat from Chicago. Not great but okay.

I have an inexpensive smoker in my yard. I buy corned beef when it's on sale around St. Patrick's Day, freeze it, then when I want some pastrami, I have a recipe where I dry rub the soaked corned beef ( gets out a lot of salt) and smoke it on my smoker. Then I steam it in the pressure cooker.

Takes a lot of time but little effort and while it lasts, we are in soul food heaven.

Wish we could get decent rye bread here, but a few years ago were were in NYC at Katz's Deli and their rye bread was feh. colored Wonderbread. I know Royal with their awesome bread baking talents could make a better rye with a little chutzpah to stand up to corned beef and pastrami with cole slaw and Russian dressing.

This menu must a very old menu as RCCL does not have the capabilities to make " freshly prepared in our galley " Kosher meals on board any of their ships as stated on the menu posted. RCCL does not have kosher kitchens.

All kosher meals for RCCL and most all cruise lines are now prepared off shore and delivered to the cruise ship frozen. All RCCL does is reheat and serve . Passengers have to place their requests for Kosher meals 90 days in advance of their sailing in order to be accommodated.

I believe that one or some Celebrity ships have a separate Glatt Kosher kitchen.

We're having my father's unveiling on Long Island next week. Of course I've been dreading going back to the cemetery, but we're having Ben's afterwards. Something to look forward to :D And I know my Dad would have enjoyed it.

We were in NJ for granddaughter's bat mitzvah last March. Daughter brought in deli trays with cut up sandwiches and big dishes of clole slaw, potato salad and pickles. Couldn't help but think someone was sitting shiva. :)

My husband and I have plots in NJ and have made arrangements to be flown back there, unembalmed, after we to to Olam Ha'Ba. The main reason is that there is no good shiva food in Texas. Everything here comes in a tortilla.

Great thread!

I was on the Liberty of the Seas during Hanukkah one year, and they did offer Latkes and donuts after the service. They were good too... and free LOL

We were on Voyager on a transatlantic on Chanukah and the latkes and donuts were so greasy and yucky. I would have volunteered to make them myself if they'd have asked. :D

I would love to see a Jewish style deli like Katz's or the Carnegie Deli. It sure would be better than Izumi's. You can get good Asian food anywhere but a good Jewish Deli onboard would be great. I know there is a Park Cafe but it's not the same as Cornbeef and Pastrami on Rye, Dill Pickles, Borscht etc.

A lot of people who are of Jewish heritage travel on Royal and even people who are not Jewish love a good Deli. I think Royal made a huge unforgivable mistake by opening Izumi's. A deli would suit a lot of people from kids to adults. Possibly they could do this without a cover charge like the Boardwalk Dog House.

You would get my vote if Royal would open a Jewish Style Deli. Not sure if the Oasis has one but for all ships its a great way to go. There could also be a counter where you can call down and have your order ready at the counter to take back to your stateroom.

Adam Goldstein and Richard Fain are both Jewish and I'm sure they would love to create a special Deli onboard.

I agree with you HALF way. Izumi was NOT a huge mistake. There are not Asian food places everywhere. Many in the middle states and else where have not had the chance to sample Asian food, and it is IMHO really good. However I would love love a Jewish Deli. Oh my gosh, to die for. How about fresh cooked bagels in the morning, lots of kinds, rather than that thing they serve that is called a bagel, but is missing something:eek: whitefish, herring, and the list goes on.

So I think there is a world for both styles of food, Asian and Jewish. These ships are just the place to have both of these wonderful venues.

That must be a nice cozy job. I wonder if he does an occassional Bris every now and then.

One of my best friends growing is Jewish . I went to a lot of his families celebrations, he came to a lot of my Italian families celebrations.

When we were in high school I was invited to his nephews Bris. What did I know from a Bris at that age . :) My Buddy told me it was "like a Christining *LOL* Of course he left out one important difference .

I think I screamed louder than the baby. *LOL*

Jewish people make up less than 1 percent of the world's population. About 14 million worldwide, half of which live in the USA and Israel. Most people who cruise have no idea what a Jewish deli is. The best Pastrami comes from the plate and is expensive as are good locks. Look how they mess up Pizza!

Our Jewish Delis are dwindling in South Florida and we have a large Jewish population.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I'll be on the Majesty during Rosh Hashanah. I'm obviously not observant but if we're talking Jewish food . . . I would love to have Challah buns as an option in the MDR to complement the tiny triangle savoury bites or challah french toast in the MDR for breakfast. And what about a nice Bubbie-style brisket as an option on Shabbat, kishka, chopped liver and even cholent?? I love all that high-calorie, artery-clogging food.

What no Knish , no chopped liver, no white fish? I'm a Dr Brown's Cream Soda man myself.

I have a great place up here in Forest Hills, NY. It's called the Knish Nosh and all they have been doing for decades is making homemade Knishes.

I have a great place up here in Forest Hills, NY. It's called the Knish Nosh and all they have been doing for decades is making homemade Knishes.

I live in Connecticut, and we have a few decent places , but nothing like NYC. Used to love the Stage deli , but they closed earlier this year and Rattner's has been gone for quite awhile. The Carnegie and Katz's are still great though. Of course nobody could beat The Stage's cheesecake. IMHO Not even Lindy's

I would love to see a Jewish style deli like Katz's or the Carnegie Deli. It sure would be better than Izumi's. You can get good Asian food anywhere but a good Jewish Deli onboard would be great. I know there is a Park Cafe but it's not the same as Cornbeef and Pastrami on Rye, Dill Pickles, Borscht etc.

A lot of people who are of Jewish heritage travel on Royal and even people who are not Jewish love a good Deli. I think Royal made a huge unforgivable mistake by opening Izumi's. A deli would suit a lot of people from kids to adults. Possibly they could do this without a cover charge like the Boardwalk Dog House.

You would get my vote if Royal would open a Jewish Style Deli. Not sure if the Oasis has one but for all ships its a great way to go. There could also be a counter where you can call down and have your order ready at the counter to take back to your stateroom.

Adam Goldstein and Richard Fain are both Jewish and I'm sure they would love to create a special Deli onboard.

This would be amazing!

I'll challah french toast in the MDR for breakfast. ''

Challah bread makes the best french Toast.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

They make horrible French Toast on the ship. The egg mixture is not even allowed to soak through. I make it with Challah at home, and let the batter soak over night, then I bake it. Like you died and went to heaven.

I'll be on the Majesty during Rosh Hashanah. I'm obviously not observant but if we're talking Jewish food . . . I would love to have Challah buns as an option in the MDR to complement the tiny triangle savoury bites or challah french toast in the MDR for breakfast. And what about a nice Bubbie-style brisket as an option on Shabbat, kishka, chopped liver and even cholent?? I love all that high-calorie, artery-clogging food.

The brioche is very similar to challah, almost the same recipe.

I live in Connecticut, and we have a few decent places , but nothing like NYC. Used to love the Stage deli , but they closed earlier this year and Rattner's has been gone for quite awhile. The Carnegie and Katz's are still great though. Of course nobody could beat The Stage's cheesecake. IMHO Not even Lindy's

You couldn't get any meat at Ratner's anyway. They were strickly dairy. One Sunday we had lunch there and bumped into Ed Koch who was sitting at the next table. Pretty tall guy once you meet him in person.

Archived