Food/snacks after dinner?

Rusty

Dear Rusty,

Since the Oceania cruise line is port-intensive, after we finished dinner on all the nights of our Baltic Cruise (11:00 p.m.), all we wanted to do was go to sleep since we had to be up at 7:00 a.m. to shower, dress, eat breakfast and leave the ship when it docked in our next wonderful port. If you are hungry and need something to eat, I agree with Jan, call room service. They can't keep their employees up at midnight to serve the few people who would want food. By the way, I take breakfast bars and dry roasted almonds for those occasions. If you want a Midnight Buffet, you can always cruise with Princess, Holland America, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity or RCCL.

Sheila

This is getting a little defensive; some people like a late snack or the possiblity one is available. The midnight buffets are almost a thing of the past, but if you,ve been offshore late as in St. Petersburg, a late night meal might hit the spot. If it's not available so be it.

My apologies, didn't mean to come off in a bad way, but context to the question might help. If there is more information behind the question folks might be able to help more with the specific issue, for example, if the person needed food with meds at certain times, maybe someone else in that situation could provide a more concrete example of what they did. Same for the example with somebody expecting to be in a port late and possibly wanting a late light supper. At the same time, a friend who recently went on their first cruise was absolutely adament that they needed to be able to find food after the general dinner time before they went and when they got back said they were so stuffed at the end of dinner they had to roll to their cabin every night.

Usually we didn't finish dinner till 10 pm and then were in our cabin by 11 to get ready for another full day the next morning.

You can purchase some snacks in the shop onboard I think they had chips but I cannot say for sure ...I know they had "Jelli Babies" and licorce allsorts on the British Isles cruise

Great question, Rusty. With Oceania's promise of 24-hour room service, I thought we had nothing to worry about. On most nights, there were two staff assigned to the entire ship. Given the size of the meals in the dining rooms and the early-morning port calls, most passengers went to bed around 11 pm, so two staffers were able to cover the demand.

However, when there was a late-night sailaway, or when the next day was an at-sea day, people naturally stayed up later and got hungry after midnight, but the same two crew members had to deliver all the additional orders, from small items like hot chocolate or coffee to requests for full course dinners, covering all five cabin decks from fore to aft.

So while food IS available after the dinner hour, you may have to wait a while for it. My wife takes medication (and she thinks she has hypoglycemia) so I had to make several runs for pretzels and chips from the Horizons Lounge while waiting for our room service order to arrive. After that incident, we learned to simply squirrel away food in our cabin. I trust Oceania took our comments from our previous cruises into account in augmenting the late-night Room Service staff, so enjoy your cruise!

Richard

It is a great idea to "squirrel" some doughnuts or muffins, if you think that you are going to need it! It satisfies your needs and you may not have to wait or bother the staff.

Yup, now we travel with an abundant supply of ziplock bags - not only are they great for storing food (e.g. for late night snacks, medicine-taking, and shore excursions), they're also handy for insulating fragile souvenirs! (think giant bubble wrap)

The staff, like ourselves, need to rest too (most of the ship staff are overworked as is)! If you call them, they surely will rise to their duties and serve you, however, I would like to be kind if I can. Just like in a restaurant, you can ask for separate items one at a time, and the waiters/waitresses will oblige, but if you can tell them what you need in one go, it makes life easier for them!

Oh Meow.. bother the staff?

???... my thoughts exactly. Sorry, but alot of people do like something later in the evening, with a cup of tea or coffee... same with most Europeans. I can understand being tired from a port intensive cruise, but some ports are declined at choice by some people, and those people should have their cruise needs addressed also.:)

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to be argumentative but, frankly my dear Meow, I look at the cost of the cruise as my ticket to be pampered by the cruise line. When I get home again, I'll have to clean up the kitchen and think twice about getting something to eat or drink in the middle of the night but, my dear, this is my VACATION and I want to feel very, very special. If the cruise staff is limited at night then the management has to be aware of the statistics about whether or not it's worth the bother to them to keep more people out doing more things. I agree with the previous poster that there are people who aren't necessarily going to be in bed by 11 PM. Hello! My husband and I don't go to bed at 11 unless we're sick!) I'm not looking for midnight buffets but I think accomodation is the name of the game here.

My husband and I took our first cruise in February and we love the fact that we can eat if & when we care to. We would go dancing then at 1am or 2am we would be hungry ..I really love having a choice and knowing food is available when I feel for it. No I am not overweight or always eating but I like to know just like at home that if not well or just have an extra hungry evening I do have a choice... specially on my vacation!

Interesting thread...

I will be a first time Oceania cruiser...having been very partial to Celebrity and having also cruised Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian and Premier...

There are some things I guess I've just always assumed...

And, it's not the rapidly disappearing lavish "Midnight Buffets" I'm talking about...those really don't do it for me...

But, we tend to eat dinner fairly early...We do "Early seating" on ships that work that way...and I assume my wife will still want to eat fairly soon after she arrives back from port...it's just sort of her "rhythm"--Dinner around 6 to 8pm...

So, for me, usually around 11 pm, I'm ready for a little "nosh"...A slice of pizza or a brownie or some bread and cheese...Nothing major, just something...

And I really don't like to bother with "room service"...I like to walk by a buffet somewhere and grab a little something...

I just assumed there would be something to grab...

Now, on the Oceania website, at this page:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=e73f5a3e-32a8-4062-baf2-592d3948a401

...on the list on the left hand side, it says:

"Pizzaria" and it says "Evening Snacks"...

Do these exist?

What are the Pizzaria hours?

What hours are the "Evening Snacks?

I mean...that really is all I want...

And, I guess, what are the restaurant hours?

Can you eat at 6 and then go back toward the end of the restaurant hours and just order dessert?

Hi Steve..Pizzeria closes at 4:00 pm and evening snacks are during cocktail hour..this cruise line is not set up for any late nite dining with the exception of room service..which is great!!

I would think you can always go into the dining room for desert later in the evening before they close..

You can also ask for fruit in your room or request that your room steward/stewardess bring in cheese and crackers at 8:pm each evening..

Jan

Interesting thread...

What are the Pizzaria hours?

What hours are the "Evening Snacks?

I really don't like to bother with "room service"...I like to walk by a buffet somewhere and grab a little something...

I just assumed there would be something to grab...

And, I guess, what are the restaurant hours?

Can you eat at 6 and then go back toward the end of the restaurant hours and just order dessert?

I prefer a light buffet as well. I prefer to see my options, instead of having to select off a menu and then wait for an indeterminate amount of time for room service to arrive.

The "Pizzaria" is actually just a window in the Terrace Cafe with serve-yourself pizza under a warming lamp. It's available during the lunch hours and whatever isn't consumed is left out until 4 pm, when the staff converts the Cafe into Tapas on the Terrace (and the menu isn't limited to tapas - you can usually find normal buffet fare there, including some of the dishes that appear on the Grand Dining Room's menu that evening, so if you want to avoid the formality of the GDR, hit the Terrace instead).

Speaking of the GDR, I think the Maitre'd said they stop seating people at 10, so there'll be tables occupied well after that, so you can probably order dessert as long as you get there before 11 (or just order it to go, as we did). Unless you're in a PH suite or better, dining in your stateroom can be quite inconvenient, as the coffee table doesn't elevate like the ones aboard Silversea's, so you'll be dining 24" above the floor, hunched over like an animal. On your comment card, you may want to suggest that Oceania purchase some breakfast-in-bed trays, so by the time we take our next cruise . . . .:D

Unless you're in a PH suite or better, dining in your stateroom can be quite inconvenient, as the coffee table doesn't elevate like the ones aboard Silversea's, so you'll be dining 24" above the floor, hunched over like an animal. On your comment card, you may want to suggest that Oceania purchase some breakfast-in-bed trays, so by the time we take our next cruise . . . .:D

Richard,

We order room service breakfast and you're right, it would be great if the coffee tables elevated to a higher position. We had that in our HAL minisuite and it was so much more pleasant.

Other than breakfast, we've never ordered Oceania's room service. We have some fruit in our room in case we'd like a sweet late at night.

Jane

Maybe they could offer a late night snacks menu in Horizons, a venue that on my recent cruise at least was seriously under utilised in the evenings anyway.. They serve afternoon tea up there so presumably they have the facility to have pre-prepared food (crackers & cheese, sandwiches, cakes, etc.) available... Would solve the problem for those who just want a quick snack but prefer not to go down the room service route....Just a thought....

I for one would like to see Oceania run their Lido restaurant 24 hrs a day, like Princess does on their two former Renaissance ships, Tahitian and Pacific Princess. I sometimes like a late night snack when I am feeling peckish - and Oceania opens their Lido as late as 7am on the Baltic itinerary - which is much too late for me.

Archived