transfers to port

atlantic cruiser

Does Oceania provide transfers from airport to ship. We are using their air, arriving in Istanbul, going straight to the ship as it overnights in Istanbul. Have heard not so great reviews of taxi drivers there so would prefer Oceania transfer or does anyone know of a good private transfer company. Thank you

Oceania transfers tend to be pricey. I have often used the following site to determine what transportation to use and have never been disappointed. WE have booked private transport through them. I have not used it for Istanbul. http://www.ihatetaxis.com/airport/IST-Ataturk-Airport/Ataturk-Airport-taxi-service

That said, I don't know how often you have traveled and I can't assess your comfort level, but this is a good source to check options.

Does Oceania provide transfers from airport to ship. We are using their air, arriving in Istanbul, going straight to the ship as it overnights in Istanbul. Have heard not so great reviews of taxi drivers there so would prefer Oceania transfer or does anyone know of a good private transfer company. Thank you

I had this same dilemma myself and due to the cost of the Oceania transfers decided to use a transfer company that was recommended on the Ports Of Call board.

Although I haven't used either of them I plan on using one of these companies.

http://www.istanbulairporttransfer.net/

http://www.istanbulairportexpress.com

Good luck.

Ask your TA for the prices of transfers before you commit

They are PP rates so it will depend on what value you put on your comfort level .... taxi vs ship's transfer

I couldn't find the email on the cost of the transfers for this port but I believe it was $169 per person. Not sure though.

I couldn't find the email on the cost of the transfers for this port but I believe it was $169 per person. Not sure though.

If true, that should buy you a lot more than comfort :D

I have used private transfers in Istanbul without any problems (do not have links at hand) - check the Ports of Call forum for advice.

For future reference (because the OP is using transportation provided by her hotel so she does not need to worry anymore), if you are getting dropped off at your hotel and believe the Istanbul taxi driver is ripping your off in any way, have the hotel personnel aid you in dealing with the situation. Your hotel can tell you in advance by email what the approximate taxi fare should be to their establishment.

We personally never have had a problem using Istanbul taxis, but we always have some idea of the appropriate fare and are careful in mentioning the size of the TL bill we are providing before handing it to the driver.

The original poster stated they were using Oceania Air and not arranging their own air. It is my understanding that if you use Oceania's air then they provide transportation to the ship from the airport at no additional charge. Their rep meets you at the airport and their van or bus delivers you to the ship, or to the hotel if you are using their pre or post hotel program. Correct me if I am wrong.

The original poster stated they were using Oceania Air and not arranging their own air. It is my understanding that if you use Oceania's air then they provide transportation to the ship from the airport at no additional charge. Their rep meets you at the airport and their van or bus delivers you to the ship, or to the hotel if you are using their pre or post hotel program. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are incorrect

You can use O air but you are responsible for getting to from the ship or you can take O transfers for a fee

If you use O's hotel package they will get you to the hotel then to the ship or from the ship to the hotel then the airport for post cruise packages

For future reference (because the OP is using transportation provided by her hotel so she does not need to worry anymore), if you are getting dropped off at your hotel and believe the Istanbul taxi driver is ripping your off in any way, have the hotel personnel aid you in dealing with the situation. Your hotel can tell you in advance by email what the approximate taxi fare should be to their establishment.

We personally never have had a problem using Istanbul taxis, but we always have some idea of the appropriate fare and are careful in mentioning the size of the TL bill we are providing before handing it to the driver.

Pam,

Excellent advice.

Obviously, you are a very smart and experienced traveler who does her homework before the trip. We like to do that as well, though things seem to "slip through" these days more and more (I wonder why) :)

Paul

You are incorrect

You can use O air but you are responsible for getting to from the ship or you can take O transfers for a fee

If you use O's hotel package they will get you to the hotel then to the ship or from the ship to the hotel then the airport for post cruise packages

Thank you for this important information.

Be cautious about Istanbul Airport Express, I arranged with them for large van- port to airport and they didn't show up.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably use the other service. One thing I like is that their prices are quoted in euros, and that will keep us from having to get another currency. We have a couple hundred Euros from our last med trip, enough to get started until we get to ports with an ATM that dispenses them.

We arranged a private transfer through Backpackers Travel that we shared with another couple. This was back in 2009 and it was 25 Euro. I just checked and it is 30 Euro now.

And they never showed up at the ship to pick us up to take us to the airport. Their reply was that there was traffic. Duh, there is always traffic in Istanbul in the morning!!

Cenia

And they never showed up at the ship to pick us up to take us to the airport. Their reply was that there was traffic. Duh, there is always traffic in Istanbul in the morning!!

Cenia

That's awful. Good to know for the future.

Archived