Canada/New England Cruises......Lobster Ports......

sail7seas

LAFFNVEGAS, (Lisa)

I just would like to wish you and your DH a great cruise next week. I won't be posting after tomorrow so won't know what your impressions will be of the Maasdam before we board her on the 16th.

Hopefully all her engines will be working and there will be no more troubles whilst you are on her.

Happy and safe sailing.

Jennie

Oh Jennie, Thanks so much:) I hope you too have some safe and easy travels. You have a long way to go to get to Boston, it makes our cross country flight look like flying to Los Angeles from Las Vegas. I hope you and your DH have a wonderful cruise. It looks like you have a great bunch of CCers to travel with. Bon Voyage and have awonderful time.

Thanks,

A little OT, but since S7S mentioned the Boston Pops concert, I looked in the TV listings and don't see it anywhere! I know after it left PBS, it was on A&E or some other cable channel, but now nowhere???

They showed on local news last night hundreds of people who were already on the Esplanade reserving their space for the concert. They used to come with coolers, foldable chairs, blankets and all sorts of things to keep themselves comfy but I don't know if they allow that anymore. I would imagine it would take sooo long to clear people through security if they allowed them to tote all those things along with them.

I heard during that report that they are now limiting how many people can sit in the prime viewing space immediately in front of the shell. They used to squeeze in shoulder to shoulder and everyone loved it. I suppose it's another action for security.

For years, we went with friends on a private boat and anchored on the Charles. What fun....we'd hear the wonderful concert and then enjoy the fireworks.

No fireworks "live," although I usually mute the TV sound for Lenox and watch; we live 2 miles away and can hear them loud and clear! Forgot last night that a nearby country club always does theirs on the 3rd until they starting booming; that's a stress-free way to see, just sit on the golf course!

Agree with others who have previously posted .. Anthony's Pier 4 isn't very good .. last time we were there it looked rather run down and in need of some fresh paint .. and the food wasn't very memorial..but the high prices were!

Legal is one of our favorites --always fresh. Durgin park is indeed still in operation and still offers the baked indian pudding.

enjoy the lobsters .. nothing beats a beautiful summer day .. eating a steaming hot lobster at a picnic table .. it's so sweet you don't need butter!:p

wishing you all fantastic cruise .. enjoy the seafood!

Peggy

Peaches and GF: we're from Roswell and are lucky to have my brother nearby 'cause his office is on Lenox Rd. facing the fireworks. He always throws one he** of a party, plus no crowds, easier access/less road traffic and free parking!;)

Lisa: Keeping our fingers (and toes!) crossed for y'all! No matter what, I'm sure you'll have a grand time. Eat lobster for me and PLEASE pass on the restuarant names!!!

AussieGal: Wishing y'all a grand trip, too!:D

Lisa: Keeping our fingers (and toes!) crossed for y'all! No matter what, I'm sure you'll have a grand time. Eat lobster for me and PLEASE pass on the restuarant names!!!

Thanks so much, Maybe with all the fingers and toes crossed we can have lots of luck:) But if not I know we will have a great time, I will be definitely eating the lobster, and clams and mussels and I am sure plenty of dessert and champagne:D I will definitely try to keep track of all the good restuarants we encounter.

Peaches and GF: we're from Roswell and are lucky to have my brother nearby 'cause his office is on Lenox Rd. facing the fireworks.

Dog Mommie and GF- Well, what a small world! We're from Roswell, too. In fact live on the fairway at the CC in Roswell that has the fireworks. So we'll be sitting on our deck tonight watching. Come on by! ;)

This thread is simply not fair!!! Sail, you really know how to hurt a girl:o . Not that we can't get New England lobster here, but it comes at a cost.

But it does give me just one more reason to take that cruise North out of Boston! So I really thank you for that!!!:)

Hey Peaches!

Wish I'd seen this before we left, as it would have saved us a trip to Buckhead!!! They were great, tho, and we listened to the entertainment from all the different cities as well on big screens.

Lisa: fingers and toes!

Aussie Gal...the USA awaits you with open arms!

We will be on the Maasdam Montreal to Norfolk Oct 15. We took that cruise time because it is 12 days and we wanted longer than a week. Hopefully that will not be too late of a date. I guess the lobster will still be as plentiful then? Since we are from Texas we are really looking forward to lots of them. What is Indian pudding? Any tips on this cruise will be appreciated. Also I am glad to hear that the Maasdam is still in good shape; it will be our first cruise on her and had heard some negative comments. And you said it was overbooked??? I have never heard of this happening!

Nan

As S7S has already said, in Boston, the No Name Restaurant is a very good place, no frills, and I mean no frills, but GREAT fried clams.

I'll also agree with Legal Seafoods as being a wonderful place as well for fresh seafood.

We will be on the Maasdam Montreal to Norfolk Oct 15. We took that cruise time because it is 12 days and we wanted longer than a week. Hopefully that will not be too late of a date. I guess the lobster will still be as plentiful then? Since we are from Texas we are really looking forward to lots of them. What is Indian pudding? Any tips on this cruise will be appreciated. Also I am glad to hear that the Maasdam is still in good shape; it will be our first cruise on her and had heard some negative comments. And you said it was overbooked??? I have never heard of this happening!

Nan

Hi Nan...... Fear not, there will be plenty of lobster for you to enjoy in your New England ports. It may be too chilly to sit on some of the outdoor patios on the water at that time of year but there are plenty of places you will find in each port to enjoy a great lunch. You also may be very fortunate and get what we call "Indian Summer" weather. It is impossible to say if Maine will be 50 degrees or 75.....it is possible for either.

Indian Pudding is a dessert made from milk, eggs, cornmeal, molasses, cinnamon etc It is sweet and unique to itself. I don't know of any other pudding or dessert that is like it. It isn't a favorite of mine but many people can't get enough of it. I believe a Chef many years ago at an historic restaurant in Boston called Durgin Park created this dessert. It is still served there I am very sure.

If you do a google search, you'll find loads of recipes for it if you wish to try it at home.

It is not that rare for a ship to be oversold. It happens often but most pax would have no way of knowing it. When final payments are made and the company finds they have more paid for bookings than cabins, they start making offers for someone to give up their cabin. The more badly they need the cabin, the better the offer. It never fails that if you offer enough,make it attractive enough, someone will be happy to sail another week and give up their cabin. We all know airlines oversell all the time; cruiselines do as well.

Re Indian Pudding.

I grew up just outside of Boston and for family restaurant dinners, we would all go to Durgin Park.

This was the only place I have ever had Indian Pudding or even seen it on a menu. The story went, or rather what my Mom told me, was that it was the original American pudding, as made by the Indians.

It was served warm with cold ice cream. Hmmmm. I can taste it now. If someone tries making it, let me know. susan.

Sounds good, KK. Glad you had a good dinner.

We always cook the whole lobsters. We like the claws and love to chew on the bodies. Seeing as I got us 3+ pounders, there was a large amount of lobster in the body. We and our guests really enjoyed them. They were so sweet and tender and anyone who says a large lobster is tough, either does not know how to properly steam it or has a lousy lobster pound.

We couldn't finish it all as I really made a lot (on purpose :) so we'll be having lobster salad for dinner night.

:D Did you really mean to say you love to "chew on the bodies"?

I'm just picturing a nice lady like you sitting at the dining table holding a whole lobster body and chomping down on it. :eek:

Mark

I'll bet she did!!!:D Sail impresses me as a true New Englander in her love of lobster. And if that's so, she would definitely "chew on the bodies". There are times when ladylike behavior is just not a requirement:D .

Sail, priced those darned things today and they were $16.99/lb.!!! I can remember when we'd be on the Cape and my Mom would say she'd pick up lobsters if they were under $1.00/lb.

Of course ... that was a long, long time ago:(

:D Did you really mean to say you love to "chew on the bodies"?

I'm just picturing a nice lady like you sitting at the dining table holding a whole lobster body and chomping down on it. :eek:

Mark

Thats the best part of eating lobster.

Sucking the meat out of the legs and getting all the little bits of meat that are "hiding" in little nooks and crannies.

This is done though once the lobster is taken apart though and all the easy to get at meat has been eaten.

Fear not, I am sure Sail is not sitting there like Daryl Hannah in Splash, biting into the shell of a live Lobster *LOL*

:D Well of course everybody sucks on the legs and picks everything out of the claws and all. I spent all my summers as a kid in Maine with my grandparents- the lobster state. They lived on Kennebunk Beach for 50 years. It just sounded funny- 'chewing on the bodies'.

Archived