cruising the Bosporus/Dardanelles

NoWhiners

I was going to post this on the Europe board but I think more people will see it here.

We are taking a cruise around the Black Sea in October and 2 days will be spent cruising thru the Bosporus and Dardanelles. Can anyone who has done this tell me what it is like? I am wondering if it is like the Panama Canal/Alaska cruises, where the bow is open and it is best to walk around the ship to get different views? We will be on the Prinsendam.

Thanks for any info

ML

My Daily Program (as it was called in 2010) says there was a "periodic narration" by a travel guide "on outside decks" beginning at 6:00a, and "Weather permitting we will provide access to the bow during scenic cruising".

In the afternoon/evening we took an excursion cruise a little way up the Bosporus, and it was just a wide river with buildings not common to Europe.

The bow on the Prinsendam is never open to passengers, as it is a working area with equipment.

However, the structure of the ship in front of the bow is a half height railing, just as the sides of the ship are. So, it's easy to walk there and look forward---providing it isn't too windy.

There are also a couple more forward facing decks above that open to the sea. There's also a deck with glass shield on the highest level.

I don't recall scenic cruising through that area as it was far, far too early in the morning when I sailed through. :(

I remember it reminding me of cruising off AK. I don't recall the bow or forward decks being open. We just ate breakfast out by the aft pool. I just emailed you a picture. :)

Got it--thanks John. Looks very peaceful.

ML

The bow on the Prinsendam is never open to passengers, as it is a working area with equipment.

However, the structure of the ship in front of the bow is a half height railing, just as the sides of the ship are. So, it's easy to walk there and look forward---providing it isn't too windy.

There are also a couple more forward facing decks above that open to the sea. There's also a deck with glass shield on the highest level.

I don't recall scenic cruising through that area as it was far, far too early in the morning when I sailed through. :(

Thanks Ruth, good to know. I think we will be doing this during the day, so we should be awake :). Is the wind due to the ships movement or to the weather in the area?

Thanks

ML

Is the wind due to the ships movement or to the weather in the area?

When the ship is moving forward, there's going to be a head wind. The force of that wind will depend on how fast the ship is moving, and the direction of the wind. As I said, I was sound asleep when we sailed through that area, so I don't know how fast the ship goes.

The wind speed and direction can't be predicted, of course.

Head toward the bow area, and see how it goes! If it's too strong, then that upper deck facing forward does have a glass shield on the forward side.

There are staircases in the bow area that will take you up at least a couple of levels. I don't recall if any of those have a glass barrier, even though I was on all of them at one point or another in scenic cruising in the polar ice cap.

On the European bank of the Dardanelles, keep your eye out for the ANZAC and Turkish memorials honoring the fallen at the 1915 Battle for Gallipoli.

On the Bospphorus, you'll be passing under a couple of suspension bridges that connect the European side of Turkey with the Asian side; the Bosphorus Bridge, also called the First Bosphorus Bridge, and the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge, also known as the, you guessed it, Second Bosphorus Bridge. Enjoy your voyage!

On the European bank of the Dardanelles, keep your eye out for the ANZAC and Turkish memorials honoring the fallen at the 1915 Battle for Gallipoli.

On the Bospphorus, you'll be passing under a couple of suspension bridges that connect the European side of Turkey with the Asian side; the Bosphorus Bridge, also called the First Bosphorus Bridge, and the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge, also known as the, you guessed it, Second Bosphorus Bridge. Enjoy your voyage!

We loved the ANZAC biscuits we got on our AUSNZ Oosterdam cruise last Fall. Apparently the recipe was designed by the military to hold up during the months long mailings it took to get to their boys on the front. We thought this was a special HAL touch to make them for us passengers. Delicious.

I'll be on the look out for this important memorial. Thanks for the tip.

We loved the ANZAC biscuits we got on our AUSNZ Oosterdam cruise last Fall. Apparently the recipe was designed by the military to hold up during the months long mailings it took to get to their boys on the front. We thought this was a special HAL touch to make them for us passengers. Delicious.

I'll be on the look out for this important memorial. Thanks for the tip.

Have a great time on PRDM!

We cruised up and down many years ago, during early evening and day time hours. We cruised the area on the Crystal Harmony and the Grand Princess... both times the ships moved slowly and I don't recall any noticeable wind ... I do recall we spent a few hours out on the main deck simply enjoying the scenery and the peace and quiet. Kind of like cruising through the Greek Islands.

wow, I didn't know this--thanks Copper!! I will definitely try to locate these sites.

ML

We cruised up and down many years ago, during early evening and day time hours. We cruised the area on the Crystal Harmony and the Grand Princess... both times the ships moved slowly and I don't recall any noticeable wind ... I do recall we spent a few hours out on the main deck simply enjoying the scenery and the peace and quiet. Kind of like cruising through the Greek Islands.

sounds great. I am thinking this might be a good chance to sit with a glass of wine and watch the world go by (if its in the afternoon, anyway :D !!

thanks

ML

When the ship is moving forward, there's going to be a head wind. The force of that wind will depend on how fast the ship is moving, and the direction of the wind. As I said, I was sound asleep when we sailed through that area, so I don't know how fast the ship goes.

The wind speed and direction can't be predicted, of course.

Head toward the bow area, and see how it goes! If it's too strong, then that upper deck facing forward does have a glass shield on the forward side.

There are staircases in the bow area that will take you up at least a couple of levels. I don't recall if any of those have a glass barrier, even though I was on all of them at one point or another in scenic cruising in the polar ice cap.

thanks Ruth--this is great info!!

ML

We have sailed through the Dardanelles twice. The experience was enhanced by on board narration that could be heard on the decks. I knew very little about this tumultuous period of history and the many lives lost there. It was a time for quiet reflection while we were on the Rotterdam.

The first night we docked in Istanbul for an overnight, an excursion from HAL "a dinner cruise on the Bosphorus" was an amazing history lesson and allowed you to sail farther up the river. The food was fantastic and a great introduction to Istanbul, one of our best ever ports!

When the Rotterdam sailed up the Bosphorus in the evening, we watched for the palaces and summer homes we had seen the night before. The ship entered the Black Sea at dusk, and we were amazed at the hundreds of small ships and oil tankers bobbing up and down, awaiting their turn to sail through the Bosphorus and eventually to the Med.

Cruising the Black Sea was very special....enjoy it, and the Prinsendam!:)

Karen

We have sailed through the Dardanelles twice. The experience was enhanced by on board narration that could be heard on the decks. I knew very little about this tumultuous period of history and the many lives lost there. It was a time for quiet reflection while we were on the Rotterdam.

The first night we docked in Istanbul for an overnight, an excursion from HAL "a dinner cruise on the Bosphorus" was an amazing history lesson and allowed you to sail farther up the river. The food was fantastic and a great introduction to Istanbul, one of our best ever ports!

When the Rotterdam sailed up the Bosphorus in the evening, we watched for the palaces and summer homes we had seen the night before. The ship entered the Black Sea at dusk, and we were amazed at the hundreds of small ships and oil tankers bobbing up and down, awaiting their turn to sail through the Bosphorus and eventually to the Med.

Cruising the Black Sea was very special....enjoy it, and the Prinsendam!:)

Karen

Hi Karen

Thanks for this info. I didn't think there would be many ships/boats on the Black Sea. Not sure why, I just thought it would be unused except by cruise ships :D

I am really looking forward to the 2 days we will spend transiting these waterways.

ML

I didn't think there would be many ships/boats on the Black Sea. Not sure why, I just thought it would be unused except by cruise ships :D

Oh there's LOTS of cargo ships and tankers! Go to marinetraffic.com/ais/ , select Black Sea as the area, then zoom out and choose grid box 58 at the north end of the Bosphorus.

Hi Karen

Thanks for this info. I didn't think there would be many ships/boats on the Black Sea. Not sure why, I just thought it would be unused except by cruise ships :D

I am really looking forward to the 2 days we will spend transiting these waterways.

ML

I think we will all be surprised of how busy this part of the world has become as major global traders now since Turkey is now hovering on the brink of entering the EU common market and the Black Sea is also Russia and the former Republic's only year round warm water port. Should be fascinating. Starting to pack now - getting very excited and see for most of the ports on this Prinsendam Black Sea cruise we will be the only ship in port (Not Istanbul though, it shows we are in port when we arrive with the Queen Victoria ..or maybe we will see her on her way out as we work our way in.)

Oh there's LOTS of cargo ships and tankers! Go to marinetraffic.com/ais/ , select Black Sea as the area, then zoom out and choose grid box 58 at the north end of the Bosphorus.

Hi John

I am going to try this--thanks!

ML

I think we will all be surprised of how busy this part of the world has become as major global traders now since Turkey is now hovering on the brink of entering the EU common market and the Black Sea is also Russia and the former Republic's only year round warm water port. Should be fascinating. Starting to pack now - getting very excited and see for most of the ports on this Prinsendam Black Sea cruise we will be the only ship in port (Not Istanbul though, it shows we are in port when we arrive with the Queen Victoria ..or maybe we will see her on her way out as we work our way in.)

OlsSalt

Yes, I agree, this will only add to the unique experiences we are expecting. Have you been able to find out where we will berth at Piraeus--I keep trying but have had no luck.

we haven't started packing but we are negotiating over which bags to bring on the trip :). And, the GPS I had programmed with our hotel, some restaurants, places in some ports, etc, decided to lose it's mind a few weeks ago, so I have to start over--grrrr:mad: I think I will buy a new one--that comes with lifetime maps!!

Won't be long now...

ML

We have seen huge groups of thousands of jellyfish of a couple of our trips thru the Bosphorus. Have seen them in the fall and the spring. They might be seasonal, but when they were present, it was like we were cruising thru an extremely dense giant school of them that lasted for miles and miles,

Don't forget your coins to toss in when you go under the bridge.

We are on the cruise prior to yours. We loved sailing the Bosphorus so much, we are doing the Black Sea cruise next Oct. We are even springing for a balcony---our first on Prinsendam. I don't want to miss a minute of that experience. I can't begin to tell you how magical it will be for you!

OlsSalt

Yes, I agree, this will only add to the unique experiences we are expecting. Have you been able to find out where we will berth at Piraeus--I keep trying but have had no luck.

Won't be long now...

ML

There seems to be the choice of only Terminal A or B - on our last trip through here on the Rotterdam we were at Terminal B, which is the furthest one out. Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise ports gives good instructions how to get out from either of them. Many did walk directly from B to the tram area and a HOHO bus stops close by.

You get an earlier start than we do. Lucky you. I wish we could leave tomorrow. It is going to be a great cruise. Thanks to the poster who reminded us of the "marinetrffic.com" link which is pretty dazzling when you focus on the Dardanelles and Bosphorus passages to the Black Sea: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Never thought the wide open seas would look like the LA freeway but this looks even more congested than the Malacca Straights from Singapore to india.

We have seen huge groups of thousands of jellyfish of a couple of our trips thru the Bosphorus. Have seen them in the fall and the spring. They might be seasonal, but when they were present, it was like we were cruising thru an extremely dense giant school of them that lasted for miles and miles,

Don't forget your coins to toss in when you go under the bridge.

Wow, that would be cool!!

what coins--what am I missing??

ML

Archived